Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Djevoujka  (Read 2531 times)

stevejay

Djevoujka
« on: March 15, 2017, 10:48:47 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2VbVJBKwxE

Constructive criticism welcomed.

mselic

Re: Djevoujka
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 11:32:25 PM »

Sounds nice :) By any chance is that being played on the Tommy I sold you?

BTW, "Djevoujka" means "girl" in Slavic languages, in case you didn't already know.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

stevejay

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 12:13:48 PM »

Thanks.
Yes, I like the Tommy very much.

No, I didn't know it meant Girl.
I remembered the tune, I had to look up the title before I posted!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:15:26 PM by stevejay »

fc diato

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 01:57:02 PM »

Very nice! 
I really like the jauntiness of your double notes.  Makes it less relentlessly nostalgic.
fc diato

Walleye

• Good talker
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 04:56:12 PM »

Do you have the dots or abc for the tune?

stevejay

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 05:31:21 PM »

This one is the one to listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ptjMIvkEPU
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:18:12 PM by stevejay »

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 07:16:58 PM »

I just tried a Google image search for "djevojka" (the spelling I've usually seen) - no sign of any sheet music but you are left in no doubt what the word means.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 07:20:17 PM »

Thanks for the dots.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 08:45:53 PM »

Code: [Select]
X:2
T:Djevoujka
R:mazurka
C:St\`ephane Delicq
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:Bm
f2|F>Ff2(3FBd|f>gf2-f>e|d>c B>c d>e|d2c4|
B>c d>e d>c|d2c2A2|1,3 F6-|F4 :|2 B6-|B4:|4 B6-|B4 [D2B2]||
|:[DB]>[Ec] [Ec]>[DB] [DB]>[Ec]|[Ec]>[DB] [DB]>[Ec] [Ec]>[DB]|[DB]>[Ec] [Ec]>[DB] [DB]>[Fd]|[F2d2][E4c4]|
[DB]>[Ec] [Ec]>[DB] [DB]>[Fd]|[F2d2][E4c4]|[df]>[eg][d4f4]-|1 [d4f4][DB]2 :|2 [df]6||
|: [df]>[eg][df]2[df]2|[df]>[eg][df]2[df]2|[df]>[eg] [df]>[ce] [df]>[eg]|[df]2[ce]4|
[df]>[eg][df]2[ce]2|[cea]4[cea]2|1 [Bdf]6-|[Bdf]6 :|2 [dfb]6-|[dfb]4|]

Grape Ape

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 10:31:48 PM »

Stevejay that was quite nicely played.  I didn't know this tune and appreciate the introduction.

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 11:16:05 AM »

As I understand it, the name is generically descriptive - "young girls' dance" - and there are several of them from different parts of the Balkans, in various metres (2/4, 3/4, 5/4).  Can't look right now (phone on slow connection) but try YouTube for demos.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

arty

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 12:34:01 PM »

Hello Steve....first of all, well done on that, it is not a piece of Stephane Delicq's that I have learnt yet but it is a nice one and I must learn it soon.
Secondly...and I must stress that I am not very knowledgeable, so it's a bit like the blind leading the blind! However, like you, I am a great lover of Stephane's music and I am learning a bit. I have been particularly lucky to strike up conversations with Massimo Craveri, who has given me a lot of help in the last year or so. I thought I would pass on some of the advice he has given me...
1. Now that you have learnt the tune, I suggest you switch off the metronome, to allow yourself some freedom with the performance. If you listen to Stephane Delicq's playing, you will hear that he takes huge liberties with the timing, in order to create feeling in the music. Often, for example, he will start a tune quite slowly but end up playing the same tune fast, aggressively almost. A good example of that is his performance of Jamais Deux Sans Toi. I'm sure he wouldn't have done this when he was playing for dancers though, as they wouldn't have been able to follow him!
2. He used the air button, not only to open and close the bellows as needed but also, as a kind of volume control. Massimo told me that Stephane often played with his thumb putting a very light amount of pressure on the air button, so that it was partially open for whole phrases sometimes, because it reduces the volume and by adjusting the amount that he opened the air button, he could control the expression. This, I have found to be infuriatingly difficult to do!!! In fact, after a year of trying, I haven't mastered it yet and it only seems to happen as if by accident. As soon as I think about it, I can't do it....so good luck with that. There is an Italian player, I enjoy very much, called Alessandro Pipino, who has mastered it and I find great inspiration in listening to him on You Tube. Here he is playing and if you watch carefully, on the second piece ( Lucifer Waltz), you can see him doing it, see his bellows moving about almost wildly and you can feel the emotion in his playing. https://youtu.be/R8Vrgpn9K_c

So, there are a couple of bits of advice that I have had from Massimo, I hope you find them helpful. And practice, practice, practice in order to gain freedom in your playing!
And well done so far!

Finally, as you will know, it is very hard to find sheet music for SD's music. Those that I have got from the Academy del Mantice's website have all been perfect. But there are many floating around on the Internet, which are far from accurate. By example, I recently spent two weeks learning Jamais Deux Sans Toi, only to find, after I had learnt it, that it was far from right. Many of the basses were wrong and even the treble line had a whole bar missing and other bits made up to provide a link between the A and B parts. It is so infuriating and much harder to re-learn something than it is the first time round. I ended up learning it by ear from Massimo's recording.

Good luck and keep going!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

stevejay

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 03:46:10 PM »

Thank you Arty, I appreciate the feedback.

I agree, the metronome is not so appropriate, and I also think I approached the piece to aggressively.

I'm going to post another soon, and I find the feedback useful!

The tune is not very hard to play, but I will accept that some things are deceptively simple.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 03:53:00 PM by stevejay »

Roland Carson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 05:06:13 PM »

I like your version here Stevejay and I think Arty's comments are very good and helpful.
Arty has mentioned Alessandro Pipino. Alessandro spent Easter with me here a couple of years ago and he is a great musician (not only Diatonic but Chromatic, guitar and keyboards together with playing a woodsaw with a violin bow  ;D  ). Stephane Delicq was a friend and teacher to Alessandro and I think Alessandro's style reflects that but he has his own personal way to play which I think we must all develop, I suppose based on the collective of all our attempts to imitate our heros.
Massimo is also a very accomplished player who is certainly among the people I would wish to influence my playing.
Anyway Stevejay, I was very happy to listen to your playing.
Roland

MandoC

• Respected Sage
    • Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 03:21:42 AM »

Steve:  Very nice playing.  I record with a metronome all the time on my practice recordings.  I have a Tascam multi track recorder which allows me to put a click track down on one track and then I play along with it on another track.  That way you have the option of silencing or removing the click track later.  I am originally from Rhode Island so it was nice to see the pictures of Jamestown.  I taught at North Kingstown high school in the 70's and lived in Narragansett for 7 years. I had many students from Jamestown in my classes, and was friendly with teachers in Jamestown. I still miss the ocean.  Thanks for posting.
Charlie Hunt
Mandolins and now, B/C Button Accordion)

Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band, Facebook Page:https://www.facebook.com/SwingDogs

BamaBino

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2023, 03:51:52 AM »

Saltarelle Bouebe B/C
Irish Dancemaster B/C
Billy McComiskey Learner Special Edition B/C

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2023, 09:20:55 AM »

Not sure of the chords. Stéphane’s used a lot of cross-bass (ie extended chord) on left end. On a G/C machine …

Dm7 is pull F on D bass  = F/C in ‘slash’ notation

He’d also slip in (occasionally) Fmaj = pull Am/Fbass
   The Em7 is however used in the score. That’s push G/Ebass

I would also have scored it 9/8 as a “modern style” mazurka. Both methods work, but if you listen to the original, it’s going: diddley, diddley, diddley. That’s very much for the way its danced, in the Gennetine style.
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal