Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WANTED - Scandalli "Rosalba" in any key or colour  (Read 4252 times)

triskel

WANTED - Scandalli "Rosalba" in any key or colour
« on: March 18, 2017, 01:58:23 AM »

I've never come acoss one of these in Britain or Ireland, and quite possibly they were never sold here, but they were evidently available elsewhere, so I'm hoping somebody, somewhere, might have one I could buy, or even just take a look at/have a play on, to satisfy my curiosity.

I don't care what colour it is, 21 or 23 keys, what key or how many voices...

All I've got to go on at the moment is one photo, two YouTube clips from Brazil (that are worth a listen), and a 1940's Scandalli piano accordion that appears to be of similar vintage:

pgroff

Re: WANTED - Scandalli "Rosalba" in any key or colour
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 11:02:12 AM »

I'll keep an eye out for one Stephen. The only one I've seen is the brown one in your photo, which was offered for sale over a period of months (or more) from Canada, a few years back, and was supposedly in CF.  That color celluloid seems to have been very popular around 1949!

triskel

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 03:29:48 PM »

Thanks Paul, Canada eh!

That could be how one's ended up in the hands of a Brazilian player then, with all the will/won't ship to Brazil eBay accordion sellers there (like in the US)...

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 08:14:54 AM »

another model of Scandalli 2 row for sale, shipping US only:
ebay

the same model but black, B/C on Hobgoblin

White Scandalli sold from Australia, Nowember 2016.

Your photo seems to be cutted from Helmut Wurzer Accordion Collection 3 by Peter Unbehauen
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:03:46 AM by Andrius »
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 09:28:50 AM »

Off topic a bit, and can't help with the Rosalba model, but I used to have one like the eBay offering, with the one piece grill/keyboard. These turn up a lot in Oz, usually in C/F. Never seen a Rosalba here, which looks like a slightly later model.

This one needed a wee bit of work    >:E
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:44:15 AM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Malcolm Clapp

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 09:31:18 AM »

The end result wasn't too bad though (yes, I know the badge was put on upside down; there was a reason, but I forget what it was.... let's assume the "square bear" made me do it!)
IMHO, these tend to play better than the smaller, squarer model like the white one above, though there was quite a bit of "bog" beneath the faux croc-skin finish when I stripped it back.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:52:33 AM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

triskel

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 09:56:02 AM »

another model of Scandalli 2 row for sale, shipping US only:
ebay

the same model but black, B/C on Hobgoblin

White Scandalli sold from Australia, Nowember 2016.

Thanks, yes I'm familiar with those models, which seem to be cheap "generic" ones that were sold with names like Scandalli, Casali, Frontalini etc on them. They're not what I'm looking for.

Your photo seems to be cutted from Helmut Wurzer Accordion Collection 3 by Peter Unbehauen

It was cut from that (to try and make the accordion image as large as possible) because that's the only photo I have of one. But resemblances to a very nice style of piano accordion, that Scandalli did make, suggest that these button boxes were probably made by them "in house" too - and they're just the type of Italian box that I like...

triskel

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 10:13:52 AM »

The end result wasn't too bad though ...

As a matter of fact I have one of those Malcolm, only it's in red celluloid with a red craquele grille (very similar to the one on American eBay, only 23-key), C/C#, and branded Casali, and I'd been thinking of doing something kinda similar with it. They have to be the ugliest boxes on earth!

The Scotsman I bought it off claimed "it belonged to Jimmy Shand" - but I took that with an extra-large bucket of salt!

IMHO, these tend to play better than the smaller, squarer model like the white one above ...

Well they SHOULD do, being 3-voice, and with a proper action in them.

Malcolm Clapp

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 12:38:03 PM »

IMHO, these tend to play better than the smaller, squarer model like the white one above ...

Well they SHOULD do, being 3-voice, and with a proper action in them.

Um, well, no. All the ones I've seen over here are actually 2 voice MM. And I'm not sure I'd call it a "proper action". The left hand is pretty conventional, but the treble is decidedly unusual (sorry, I have no photos). One axle only; the arms are a flat metal L shaped (2 different sizes obviously), separated by 3/4" dia hard plastic spacers around 1/4" thick, which are also mounted onto the axle. Coil springs are stretched between a hole in each arm and hooks on the axle's retaining plate. Pallets are attached much as a Hohner 2815 or similar.

Overall, I would not describe this model as in the same league as Paolo Soprani or even Busilacchio, but a fairly decent workhorse nevertheless for a 1940s/1950s (?) 2 voice.

I've never seen a Casali with an integrated grill/keyboard, but here's one branded Brindisi.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:55:23 PM by Malcolm Clapp »

triskel

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 01:14:54 PM »

All the ones I've seen over here are actually 2 voice MM.

Then it looks like the 21-key ones must be generally 2-voice (and quart tuning), and the 23-key ones are 3-voice (and semitone tuning):

I'm not sure I'd call it a "proper action". The left hand is pretty conventional, but the treble is decidedly unusual (sorry, I have no photos). One axle only; the arms are a flat metal L shaped (2 different sizes obviously), separated by 3/4" dia hard plastic spacers around 1/4" thick, which are also mounted onto the axle. Coil springs are stretched between a hole in each arm and hooks on the axle's retaining plate. Pallets are attached much as a Hohner 2815 or similar.

I guess I was thinking in terms of the rather funky aluminium actions you find in the square 2-voice ones, so that seeing flat aluminium levers and wooden pallets through the large slots in the grille, the action in the 3-voice looked "proper", but in fact it's pretty wobbly.  :(

But (maybe 10 years after I got it) I'd forgotten just how funky they get at the pivot end of them:

And that's not the only funkiness, you've also got the "crochet hooks" under the buttons:

Not forgetting the tacky bellows fasteners and strap brackets:

Overall, I would not describe this model as in the same league as Paolo Soprani or even Busilacchio, but a fairly decent workhorse nevertheless for a 1940s/1950s (?) 2 voice.

Certainly nowhere near the same league, but I'm glad to hear you think they're "a fairly decent workhorse nevertheless" because I've always had doubts about it being worth fettling. I think I'll not get overambitious and keep it in C/C# though...  ???

I've never seen a Casali with an integrated grill/keyboard ...

Well you have now!  ;)

Malcolm Clapp

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 02:51:03 PM »

Thank you, Stephen. for these photos. Exactly the action on the Scandallis I tried to describe, though I'd forgotten about the "crochet" hooks  :o

triskel

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 01:44:52 AM »

In the meantime I was able to save some photos of a white "Rosalba" that was for sale in Brazil, but it would have been too expensive (and risky) to buy as a "project box", not forgetting the cost of importing it. :(

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 02:17:40 AM »

Place to look for these is Mercardo Livre:

https://www.mercadolivre.com.br/

Couple of years back I was suffering a pretty bad Todeschini obsession. I spent weeks downloading pics from here. Never bought anything. Language barrier and general distrust of transglobal shipping got the better of me.

Useful search terms would be something along the lines of "gaita", "gaita ponto", or "gaita ponto 8 baixos".

I found this Scandalli two row using search term "gaita scandalli":

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-981634254-gaita-ponto-scandalli-8-baixos-_JM

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:27:46 AM by Mike Hirst »
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

triskel

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 02:23:38 AM »

Place to look for these is Mercardo Livre

Been there, done all that Mike - in fact that's where the photos of the white one came from...  ;)

fiddleboxdavey

• Good talker
  • Castagnari, Vander Aa & impending B.Gaillard C#/Ds
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 11:01:11 AM »

I have a Scandalli box in black- same as the Hobgoblin one for sale. 23 button model. It is a 2 voice in CF however!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal