Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: C#/D bass and chords.  (Read 3602 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: C#/D bass and chords.
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 04:38:04 AM »

... Conor Keane.. was then playing Jackie's Gaillard box...

Is that the legendary box that went over a cliff and later reappeared miraculously?

I want to hear that story, especially knowing both Jackie and Conor!

I just did a Google search and found this.
I hadn't come across it before, though I had heard about the incident.
I am almost certain that the same box "resurfaced" in recent years. I think it came up for sale somewhere but I can't recall where.
The last time I talked to Conor Keane, I didn't know about it.
I have met JD only a couple of times and boxes going over cliffs was not discussed!

It was for sale at The Button Box in MA and was discussed on here maybe a year ago. It had had a lot of repair work done and the scars were visible!

Katie Howson

• Regular debater
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 08:42:11 AM »

Why is the G push bass/chord useful when the G and B notes are all on the pull?

I would say it's for the same reason that the push G chord is useful when playing in D on a standard D/G box - it supplies the subdominant IV chord, in the same way that you would use a C chord when playing a D/G box in the key of G.

Yes, I use the G chord a lot in that way on the D/G, against the B or the G. But these notes are are only available on the pull. When would a G chord fit with the D/A/F# - or G#/C#/F from the outside row - on the push?

Katie Howson

• Regular debater
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 09:41:28 AM »

Is that the legendary box that went over a cliff and later reappeared miraculously?

I am almost certain that the same box "resurfaced" in recent years. I think it came up for sale somewhere but I can't recall where.
I have met JD only a couple of times and boxes going over cliffs was not discussed!

It was for sale at The Button Box in MA and was discussed on here maybe a year ago. It had had a lot of repair work done and the scars were visible!

Ouch! That was a lovely box. The story would be a good candidate for a book called Accordion Crimes  - if only Annie Proulx hadn't already used the title!

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 10:54:59 AM »

I would say it's for the same reason that the push G chord is useful when playing in D on a standard D/G box - it supplies the subdominant IV chord, in the same way that you would use a C chord when playing a D/G box in the key of G.

Yes, I use the G chord a lot in that way on the D/G, against the B or the G. But these notes are are only available on the pull. When would a G chord fit with the D/A/F# - or G#/C#/F from the outside row - on the push?

On a C#/D you need both a pull and a push G chord because two of the notes of the triad are on the pull and the other (D) is on the push. This is why we have both directions for A, too. For D major and minor, and for E minor and F# minor, all the notes of the triad are in one direction, so no need for a bisonoric chord. It would be nice to have a push B because of the note D in Bm, and I have that on my 12-bass boxes, and a push E because of G# in E major, and Jackie D has that on his 12-bass boxes (nowadays).

Katie Howson

• Regular debater
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 11:04:40 AM »

On a C#/D you need both a pull and a push G chord because two of the notes of the triad are on the pull and the other (D) is on the push. This is why we have both directions for A, too. For D major and minor, and for E minor and F# minor, all the notes of the triad are in one direction, so no need for a bisonoric chord. It would be nice to have a push B because of the note D in Bm, and I have that on my 12-bass boxes, and a push E because of G# in E major, and Jackie D has that on his 12-bass boxes (nowadays).

Thanks. Having seen some of your C#/D tutorials on YouTube, I guessed you could clarify it for me!

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2017, 12:27:21 PM »

(:) I forgot to mention B major among the chords for which we have all the right-hand notes in one direction. Not much call for it in Irish music but it's nice when you get a chance to use it. I like to sneak in a "Picardy third" of D# on the final chord of Bm tunes (my son disapproves when he is accompanying me on piano - he finds it "cheesy", or at least overused in my case). We also have all the notes of C major and minor in one direction, making that F/C chord on 12-bass setups a great boon.

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2017, 06:52:18 PM »

Ouch! That was a lovely box. The story would be a good candidate for a book called Accordion Crimes  - if only Annie Proulx hadn't already used the title!

"Melodeon Misadventures" has not been written yet I think.
You could include these two horror stories as well:
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,20245.msg244562.html#msg244562
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,20245.msg244604.html#msg244604

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2017, 01:11:55 AM »

You can watch JD playing that Gaillard here. It starts at 23:53.

tirpous

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2017, 03:35:32 AM »

There is a Keane/Daly Gaillard for sale at The Button Box right now...  http://www.buttonbox.com/button-accordions-in-stock.html
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal