Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help to identify this instrument.  (Read 5076 times)

Chiff

• P A X
    • My Story
Help to identify this instrument.
« on: November 08, 2008, 04:16:43 PM »

Hi All,
I have a photo of A/D Melodeon and am wondering if anyone on here knows anything
about it?  I am unable to find anything on the Net.

It has a sweet tone to it. 

Any info on this instrument would be very helpful.

What is your opinion on this Melodeon?

Thanks heaps.

Chiff.

Melodeons (A/D)  &  Irish Tin Whistles Rock.

Robert Tromp

Re: Help to identify this instrument.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 05:12:49 PM »

It look like an old instrument from the Klingenthal area in Eastern Germany to me. Pr WW 2

finnhorse

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 05:41:42 PM »

It look like an old instrument from the Klingenthal area in Eastern Germany to me. Pr WW 2

Yup.  Before the war there were a rich handful of companies making boxes in Germany.  Most were either purchased by Hohner or went belly-up between the wars.  It might also be worth mentioning that someone much farther down the line probably tuned it to A/D.  If it is playable and in good nick, the reeds could be original but not necessarily so.  Either the prior owner took care to retune/refurbish it, or you have done so yourself.  At least I'm not aware of any pre-war boxes from Klingenthal or Trossingen that were sold in A/D tuning but I could be wrong. 

Where did you get it?  Most of these boxes are wrecked to the point of being complete junk, especially the bellows, selling on Ebay for $10 to $50.  I'm refitting a Koch rebadge of similar vintage, and have played one 20s-30s Pokerwork with an open keyboard.  They both seemed louder or more brash than present Pokerworks, and play about as I'd expected them to.  Nice you've got a flat, closed keyboard  Personally, I'd pay no more than $175 for such a box in excellent condition, perhaps $200 if drink was involved..

finnhorse

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 05:44:18 PM »

It also appears that you've got new (replacement) treble buttons?

Chiff

• P A X
    • My Story
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 05:49:28 PM »

Hi,

I got it from a guy here in Australia by the name of Malcolm Clapp.  He has fully restored it.  That is all I know about it.  It sounds really nice and sweet.   Surely its a lot better than some of the cheap Chinese stuff.

Cheers to ya,

Chiff

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 10:02:07 PM »

At least I'm not aware of any pre-war boxes from Klingenthal or Trossingen that were sold in A/D tuning but I could be wrong. 

I've seen the occasional pre-WW2 Hohner with apparently original A/D reeds.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 03:06:49 AM »

Nice melodeon, Chiff. I know the seller quite well.   ;D

This instrument has been owned by me for 8 or 9 years. I know nothing of its previous history as it was purchased from an antique shop in Sydney.

It is indeed an A/D, having a small plate to that effect attached at the back.
It appears very original and in excellent condition for this type of (probably)  Klingenthal built melodeon.

It has been tuned and overhauled, with replacement flap valves, shoulder strap and  gaskets. The treble buttons appear original.

I am not totally convinced that it is prewar; it has a later feel somehow, though many of its features are of prewar design.

Finnhorse, if you can get me a dozen of these in this condition for $175 each, the cheque's in the mail.... 8) 8) 8)

MC

Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

finnhorse

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 04:45:09 AM »

Finnhorse, if you can get me a dozen of these in this condition for $175 each, the cheque's in the mail.... Cool Cool Cool

I'd love to find a halfway decent prewar box for $175!  I didn't mention it but I was referring to auction prices (hence the drink).  I only cap my spending there because for a few dollars more (or less) I could have one of a rainbow of different Hohners, with less nervousness involved in the purchase.  Any nicely playable box with good reeds would surely cost more than $200 at a shop.

Malcolm, I'm curious about the gaskets.  Are the bellows attached to that accordion in the a modern Hohner-like slotted arrangement, or does the body join flush with the bellows frame attached by two screws pushed through the panels perpendicular to the grille?  I've been puzzling over how to seal the gaskets on the Concertone (Koch) that I picked up, which is of the latter arrangement.  It seems the factory accomplished this by adhering a length of twine squished flat to the frame with some paste.  ???

Malcolm Clapp

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 06:15:37 AM »

Finnhorse, if you look closely at the photo in the original post, you will see the bellows pins quite clearly, close to the edges of the (wide) bellows frame.

On this Viking, the lip is part of the wooden end surround.

On most recent (post Koch) Hohners, the lip is part of the bellows frame.

Either way, there is an overlap of surfaces, held together by the bellows pins.

The difficulty here is knowing/assessing/calculating the thickness of gasket material to use, as there is no direct downward pressure on the gasket that can be adjusted by tightening anything. (Unlike the perpendicular screws you have).

On your Koch, why not just replace the twine with either a long strip of leather, or Hohner type foam rubber gasket material, positioned exactly where the twine seal was. Correct thickness is not so crucial with this method as the pressure of the perpendicular screws should give a good seal. But don't overtighten them as warping could occur.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 06:21:32 AM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Malcolm Clapp

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 06:17:42 AM »

I didn't mention it but I was referring to auction prices (hence the drink).

:o :o :o  I would recommend against drinking at auctions; almost certainly guaranteed to bid over your limit (unless you fall asleep waiting for your lot to go under the hammer!!!)

Bin there, dun that! (Both!)

MC
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 06:20:29 AM by Malcolm Clapp »

Chiff

• P A X
    • My Story
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 09:44:27 AM »

Thanks Folks for All your comments. 

I appreciate them all.

Now the fun begins.  Em, learning to play.   :)

Cheers,

Chiff.

finnhorse

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 09:50:17 PM »

On your Koch, why not just replace the twine with either a long strip of leather, or Hohner type foam rubber gasket material, positioned exactly where the twine seal was. Correct thickness is not so crucial with this method as the pressure of the perpendicular screws should give a good seal. But don't overtighten them as warping could occur.

Most anything would probably do the job although I was planning on using the foam rubber stuff, trimming it to fit the edge of the frame.  Must clean the edges of frame body first so cement will hold. 

Chiff

• P A X
    • My Story
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 11:39:02 PM »

Hi All,

My Box turned up today.  Am thrilled to bits with it.

Now the real fun begins,  Learning how to play.  :)

Cheers,

Chiff.

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 07:20:54 AM »

Hi, Chiff

I"m not sure if you're still around.

my first box happens to be in A/D mine's not a prewar box like yours instead a Hohner Corso seems classic probably 60's.

I'm after any tutorials, videos, or just songs music played in A/D melodeons just to see what i'm up against :D

thanks in advanced!

:|||:
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 09:14:23 AM »

Look for Emmanuel Pariselle on YouTube if he is playing a melodeon it is in AD.

Here's an example https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sVQWzqM2V2k
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:16:56 AM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 02:29:04 AM »

Thank You! Theo
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal