Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calling all Mengascini.....  (Read 2738 times)

jikeym

Calling all Mengascini.....
« on: March 20, 2017, 08:03:33 PM »

I've been playing the melodeon for about three years and, having made really good progress , I've been looking to upgrade.

I currently play a beauty of a 2 row Serenellini Lady but I'm looking to progress onto a 12 bass 2.5/3 row. The functionality I require is fingertip treble and bass switches and, as such, I have been looking at the Mengascini D303.

I haven't heard or seen much reference material re the make Mengascini and I would be grateful of any comments/reviews of their diatonic instruments. Their instruments looks good and the price and lead time are very appealing but I am after a really good sound.

Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks
Mick

triskel

Re: Calling all Mengascini.....
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 03:03:00 AM »

I'm frankly very surprised that Mengascini accordions are not as well known as they deserve to be - I have a very high opinion of them myself, and used to import them, along with Serenellini and Castagnari, into Ireland.

And I've a high opinion of the D 303, which has a lovely tone and plays beautifully (as do all Mengascinis), though it was never the right model for the Irish market.

2rightfeet

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 11:14:44 AM »

I have a Mengascini (not the model you are talking about, the 26+5 button 3-voice version in C/F). Personally, I have never been very happy with it, even after minor tweaks by a repairer. The fingertip coupler controls can be handy (though on mine the treble ones don't always seem to work reliably), but all round I much prefer my 26+5 Saltarelle (D/G) though of course Saltarelles are notoriously variable in quality. My 2-row Serenellini also plays really nicely - so if I needed another box (no, if I thought I could afford one) I'd be looking first at Saltarelle and Serenellini. I think others may sing the praises of Mengascini, though.

James Fitton

• Regular debater
    • Earthquakers
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 11:36:45 AM »

I have a Mengascini. I'm not sure of it's model number - it has 7, not 5 on its helper row, and 12 basses. There are two treble side under-keyboard switches, and three bass side register switches (full, thirds out, thirds out and reduced bass). The treble side is fifth button start, which is perfect for a D/G, as it takes out the top squeakiest notes, and adds in some lovely low notes, permitting lots of flexibility below middle C.

It's a lovely instrument. A little heavy, but all instruments of its size are. Everything works beautifully. It's quite polite and refined (to my ear) in its sound, but has plenty of oomph if worked hard. I've been gigging with it for over 4 years now, and it's holding up very well.

All in all, I'm very happy to recommend!
melodeons, English concertina, PA - ceilidh and dance tune composer

https://soundcloud.com/user-803726952
www.earthquakers.org.uk

Choonz

• Good talker
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 01:17:40 PM »

I have a Mengascini D262 D/G.  It has 5 on the helper tow but only 8 basses.  It's quite an old one, I bought it second hand but I am very happy with it, it's a really nice box to play.

I agree with James' comments.

Jon Loomes

• Performer, Recording Engineer, Luthier.
  • Regular debater
  • Non plaudite. Pecuniam jacite.
    • www.jonloomes.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 02:18:45 PM »

Broadly, they are very nice. Refined sounding, well thought out. Good keyboards. Not the cheapest, but I think good value for that level of quality.  You could spend more to get less, if that makes sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal