Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Absent Friends - Keith Hancock / Remco Sietsema  (Read 2927 times)

Remco Sietsema

• Castagnari Benny & Castagnari Evo
    • http://www.remcosietsema.nl

Roland Carson

• Respected Sage
Re: Absent Friends - Keith Hancock / Remco Sietsema
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 01:27:17 PM »

Really beautiful !

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 06:42:30 PM »

Lovely playing, it's been one of my favourite songs for many years.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

arty

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 07:37:31 PM »

What beautiful playing - I have just listened to it 5 times. It is actually very emotional, something you don't get very often from a melodeon. I am particularly enthralled, because I think he is playing a Castagnari Laura, which I also play, although nothing like as well as this!  ;)
I wonder if there is sheet music for this anywhere, I must do a search. The Furys sing this, don't they?
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 07:47:39 PM »

The version I know was by Vin Garbutt, he sang it for many years.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 08:07:53 PM »

Keith's a pretty nifty box player himself...sadly, doesn't do much these days...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 02:59:12 PM »

Hi Remco....I took the liberty of sharing your video with Keith...Here's his response

"This moved me to tears. A strange feeling hearing something I wrote 30-odd years given a refreshing new treatment. Wonderful playing and a gorgeous second part written by @Remco Sietsema of whom I know very little."

I think it's fair to say he liked it...as do I.

Cheers  :|glug :|glug

Remco Sietsema

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 12:30:18 AM »

What a lovely reaction!!
I made another melodeon friend.
 (:) (:) (:)

arty

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 08:04:11 AM »

You would make a lot more friends Remco, if you put the sheet music for that beautiful tune on this site.  ;)
Sorry....I'm being very cheeky! Ha, ha 😀
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

rileycat

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 05:37:18 PM »

Lovely Remco, really tasteful for a song that oozes emotion.  Also really great to see Keith (thanks bavarian Pete), after a great many years of counting him one of my favourite song-smiths. Once did a workshop with him near Exeter - great player solo and dance player with the Elektropathics (hope that's right spelling).  Can't ever remember a player perspiring quite so much in concert!

Grape Ape

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 02:02:28 AM »

It is actually very emotional, something you don't get very often from a melodeon.

Arty, while I agree the playing is excellent, and that the interpretation IS full of emotion, I am not sure why you state such a falsehood, and one that you have disproven again and again with your own playing....

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »

It is actually very emotional, something you don't get very often from a melodeon.

Arty, while I agree the playing is excellent, and that the interpretation IS full of emotion, I am not sure why you state such a falsehood, and one that you have disproven again and again with your own playing....
This seems to be an aggressive post but, I'm sorry Arty, he does have a point. I've just listened to you playing "Jamais deus Sans Toi". Lovely playing! 

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 08:04:47 PM »

Once did a workshop with him near Exeter - great player solo and dance player with the Elektropathics (hope that's right spelling).

Electropathics...Originally The Electropathic Battery Band.... :|glug

arty

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 08:32:11 PM »

Thank you both Grape Ape and Budge. What I mean is, that a melodeon doesn't make an emotional sound in the same way as, say, a cello or a saxophone, both of which tug at the heart strings by the nature of their sound. (Well, they do to me)
If you find feeling in my playing, then I am very happy indeed and I thank you for your encouraging comments. Like all of us who sit on the other side of the box when we play, I don't hear what you hear and when I listen to myself on You Tube, I hear all the hesitations, all the bits I want to improve on.
Surely we are all like that, aren't we?

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 09:44:51 PM »

I am. I post (videos of my tunes) regularly and feel like I used to about composers who insisted on conducting their own works (for orchestra). That it's like a man who represents himself in court: he should be told he has a fool for a client.

In other words I do it despite the knowledge that I'm a constant disappointment to myself. Surely a lost fortune in therapy is lying just around the corner.

I can see other's mistakes too, but I am much more forgiving of those, and can recognise the progress being made more than the slips or areas of development.
Just in case someone is thinking that I'm fishing for compliments, I can't un-know what I know about my playing. But I can live in hope.
It's a good journey, and with good company.
Back to Remco's playing: it's subtle and expression is reticent. It has integrity in that regard, and of course it is helped by a fine tune written in a fine combination of circumstances.
Now I just have to wait for the dots.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Grape Ape

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 09:53:24 PM »

For my part, I certainly did not mean to sound "aggressive," it is just that I couldn't disagree more with Arty's statement, was surprised at its source, and to be fair, he is not the only proof that the statement is false.  Everyone from Marc perrone, to Aurelian Claranbaux, to Delicq, to our very own Clive Williams, and Play and Teach as well have proven it to be false.  And many many others.  Naragonia, Andy Cutting, and this guy: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cfHqoJict3o
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:14:54 AM by Grape Ape »

Remco Sietsema

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 09:18:08 AM »

What I mean is, that a melodeon doesn't make an emotional sound in the same way as, say, a cello or a saxophone, both of which tug at the heart strings by the nature of their sound.
I understand wat you mean, Arty. Although I don't completely agree, I think the answer lies in the fact that most of the accordeons and melodeons are not tuned flat. Most of them have the typical Hohner sound. Because of this sound all the personal dynamics and other ways of expression are lost. For this reason my melodeons are always tuned flat, so I'm in control of what the sound is. But, with this sound comes a great responsibility, because you need a good technical skill. But if you know how to use the bellow properly, you can give it a "HAMMOND LESLIE BOX" effect, this little extra that gives it the WOW factor. That's what makes it emotional and personal, no matter if it's a violin, accordeon or cello.

arty

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 10:47:47 AM »

I understand wat you mean, Arty. Although I don't completely agree, I think the answer lies in the fact that most of the accordeons and melodeons are not tuned flat. Most of them have the typical Hohner sound. Because of this sound all the personal dynamics and other ways of expression are lost. For this reason my melodeons are always tuned flat, so I'm in control of what the sound is. But, with this sound comes a great responsibility, because you need a good technical skill. But if you know how to use the bellow properly, you can give it a "HAMMOND LESLIE BOX" effect, this little extra that gives it the WOW factor. That's what makes it emotional and personal, no matter if it's a violin, accordeon or cello.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you Remco. Using the bellows properly....for me, this is probably the hardest thing to master about the instrument. I think the most difficult button on the box is the air button.
Thanks again for your music...it is inspirational.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal