Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: compact 2.5 row  (Read 2652 times)

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
compact 2.5 row
« on: March 22, 2017, 03:48:01 PM »

Hi guys are there any compact lightweight 2.5 row boxes i,m thinking larger than liliputs but smaller than a big club box
and if not why not lol

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: compact 2.5 row
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 03:59:19 PM »

Picoletta?

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 04:04:51 PM »

If you need only 8 basses, think about a prewar Hohner Erika/ Club 2. They are 21+4 on the right hand and are quite light though maybe not small enough for you. Several of the fettlers on Melnet will work on them, including clubbing/ declubbing as you wish. I have about 8 in various keys and think they're great. There are also Club 1s which are 19+2 and a bit smaller.
Cheers
Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 04:10:24 PM »

Club 1/Picoletta can also be obtained with four helpers and are about the same size as Pokerworks etc. 
As with Erikas/Club II I think they are basically the same box.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 04:14:20 PM »

Oakwood are making me something along those lines at this very moment with a view to it becoming a new production model.  I'll keep you posted!
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Ray

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 04:18:49 PM »

Van der Aa does some smallish 2.5 rows - http://www.accordionmaker.com/compact/?taal=uk&muziek=aan

There's another maker I stumbled upon a while ago that was focusing specifically on making small melodeons but I can't remember his name - Trying to find him again though!

-Edit- Found him! https://accordeons-du-marais.com/ - https://youtu.be/3moTMhf9rqc

Can't speak for the quality of his instruments as I've never tried them, but they do look lovely.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 04:23:53 PM by Ray »

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 04:41:25 PM »

Hi guys thanks for the info I think my club II is the heavy version it's not ply but solid maple,over double the weight of the liliput .
With the popularity of the liliputs something between the two would be nice, the Van der boxes have great reviews but a very long waiting list

There's another maker I stumbled upon a while ago that was focusing specifically on making small melodeons but I can't remember his name - Trying to find him again though!
most appreciated would be great 

Oakwood are making me something along those lines at this very moment with a view to it becoming a new production model.  I'll keep you posted!
Hi thanks please keep me updated i,m very interested my playing sitting has floundered as its creating pressure on the arthritic joints,the club II standing causes a slight stoop same effect
the lilliput absolutely perfect ,i,ve even added a little extra weight to the lilyput to see what i can comfortably play 
was playing darrens castagnari lilly ......with a four button helper row would be perfect for me

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 06:07:18 PM »

van der Aa is about 2 year wait I think. He basically invented "compacts" - says he files the reed plates to fit!

Do also consider a 3 row. Very little extra weight, same size usually, and surprisingly little extra money.
  _       _    _      _ 

Baron Collins-Hill

• Regular debater
  • Maine, USA
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 06:15:42 PM »

I'll cast my vote for the Castagnari Benny, a beautiful compact 3 row (I'm a huge fan of the full 3 row, very little added weight) 12 bass. Not cheap, but absolutely lovely!

Thanks,
Baron
D/G/Acc Castagnari Big 18 (full Dutch reversals)
Mandolin & Tenor Guitarist: Velocipede
Free Online Mandolin Lessons: MandoLessons

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 06:19:50 PM »

van der Aa is about 2 year wait I think. He basically invented "compacts" - says he files the reed plates to fit!

I think that maybe that accolade should go to Hohner for the Liliput and Preciosa with their special narrow reed plates.

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 06:38:04 PM »

Hi
van der Aa is about 2 year wait I think
yup i'm afraid it is ..dont seem to come up often for sale,probably a sign of a good instrument.
2.5row 8 bass is not one of his standard configuration add a year ,not at my age lol
I'll cast my vote for the Castagnari Benny, a beautiful compact 3 row (I'm a huge fan of the full 3 row, very little added weight) 12 bass. Not cheap, but absolutely lovely!
I thought they were a 4kg box?

I think that maybe that accolade should go to Hohner for the Liliput and Preciosa with their special narrow reed plates.
totally agree I cannot believe in a world of miniaturization and light weight materials the little hohner's are
still the epitome of a small portable full sounding melodeon and just 1.8 kgs remarkable instruments 

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 07:04:56 PM »

Loffet do a Gret e Breizh which is relatively small, check out his website for details.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 08:09:44 PM »

Hi thanks I looked at the Loffets they look really nice i did email him about a 2-1/2 row 8 bass ,he has lots of variants  but not 8 bass and its going to take me years to get the 8 bass right lol ,and they are still quite heavy

Just been playing the liliput when you consider the weight and its 2 voice ,it really is a wonderful box
I cant help thinking a slightly bigger version could accommodate standard size reeds ,i'm not expecting the huge bass reeds like in the club II perhaps the Oakwood will fill the gap for a compact 2-1/2 row 8 bass lightweight box

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 08:48:18 PM »

Um.... Theo has a prototype Castagnari Dony on his website.
A 2 button helper row and 8 bass...... Might be worth enquiringly....
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 09:18:28 PM »

Hi thanks
Theo has a prototype Castagnari Dony on his website
I contacted theo as soon as it was listed,its a little smaller but similar in weight to my club II ,looks a lovely box and its really frustrating i have tried all manner of straps, stools so i can play a bigger box but I recently had a back spasm that I know is the result of my sitting posture.

I can walk around with the lilliput no problem and also darrens Castagnari lilly,I blame darren lol extolling the virtues of the club system and the limitations of a standard two row D/G box
and borrowing a liliput I assumed 2-1/2 row 8 bass was the generic melodeon ,had i borrowed the Castagnari lilly I would have been sorted.

RoVaBen

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 10:03:57 PM »

Van der Aa also makes a Superb compact, really nice compact size, I will get mine in about 2/3 months I think :)

Waiting time is now 20 months, he doesn't really work with standard configurations, you can basically ask him to do anything, so that won't add anything in the waiting time.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 08:06:39 AM »

Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 01:03:36 PM »

Hi thanks for the info
the Van der Aa  makes a compact but not super light, I did look at the Hohner Galaad looks really nice box and the perfect configuration but its almost the same weight as my Hohner club II its not the size really its the weight

I have arthritis in L1/2 don't think falling off or pushing my bonnie in my youth helped lol so sitting for any time is actually painful,but walking arounds fine
Carrying the weight at the front and moving arms about changes one,s posture and after 1/2 hour the back aches, but the lilliputs so light and easy bellows i,ve not had any problems

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 02:47:15 PM »

What do you want the ideal box to do that you don't get from the Liliput?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Microbot

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 10:06:42 PM »

Hi Garry

As well as the Erika, another option is the Picoletta/Club Model 1. These are slightly smaller than the Erika - in fact exactly the same size as a pokerwork/pressed wood ... the treble layout is 10+9+4 buttons.

It's a standard 8-bass, however a Picoletta can also be fitted with 12 basses.

Mike R
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal