Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Koch / Kochamica GCF box  (Read 1512 times)

Mick

Koch / Kochamica GCF box
« on: March 25, 2017, 02:10:04 PM »

I am still pretty new to the diatonic accordion--only getting my first box (a GC Pokerwork) last summer but I am a tinkerer by habit and so bought another on a lark, ostensibly to take apart and learn something and maybe get something to play as well.

So I purchased what turned out to be a GCF Koch / Kochamica box from a guy in Illinois. I was expecting a total wreck but it arrived in surprisingly better shape than I thought. 

I opened it up to inspect the reeds, valves, wax, bellows, gaskets etc.

I've got a couple dozen questions but I thought I'd start out with some simple ones.

Is anyone familiar with the Kochamica model(s)?  I searched here and found a few discussions about Koch accordions and a few things on line.  I've got a general understanding of the company's progress and eventually absorption into Hohner.

I figure I'll start here and then get further into questions about repair specifics.  (I know the valves need replacing--I've done that on my piano accordions, and the treble buttons are obviously a crucial hurdle--I've checked out CGM online and am fixing to give a call over there after sussing things out with y'all for a bit first.)

Thanks in advance for any insight and advice (I suppose "toss it in the dustbin" isn't necessarily the advice I'm looking for....)

Now to try and attach a few photos.

Mick

Mick

Re: Koch / Kochamica GCF box
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 04:36:58 PM »

Well, alright.

One week in and 67 views and no ideas about this box....

I figure folks would be checking this sub forum along with the "Makes and Models" one, but perhaps not?

Is this a dead end or should I think about moving the ID question over there?

BTW I have the Kochamica disassembled and have been in touch with Charlie M about getting some parts.

Revalved the treble and bass reeds.  Wax looks good. Lever linkages work well.  I'm optimistic.

Mick

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 04:46:50 PM »

Did you replace the "inside" valves too?  There's not much point revalving  if you don't do them all.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

triskel

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 12:29:55 AM »

Well, alright.

One week in and 67 views and no ideas about this box....

Maybe, like me, nobody else knows anything about Koch "Amica" either... Though my impression (at the moment) is that the name seems to only turn up in the United States, on various diatonic models, so maybe it had something to do with their marketing there?

Of course "Amica" continued as a Hohner model name after they took over Koch, as did the likes of Koch's "Ouverture" and "Verdi" model names.

Mick

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 01:39:18 AM »

Thanks, Theo.

Well....inside ones were in pretty good shape all in all.  I replaced along with a bit of rewaxing but most were actually quite flat and the leather appears to have some flex and operability.  A goodly number of the outside ones were curled like snack foods.  We'll see when it all gets back together. It may have to come back apart....

My experience with PA repairs has led me to a range of options to the "all or nothing approach" depending on relative condition.  First time under the hood of a button box so that  previous experience might not be all that valuable.....

Thanks, Triskel, for the feedback.  That was my hunch...as Koch apparently had serious marketing offices in NY and Chicago at least.
I haven't seen any button Hohner Amicas, only piano accordions.  Did they use the Amica name on button accordions from the era following their acquisition of Koch?

Mick

triskel

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 04:30:57 AM »

... Koch apparently had serious marketing offices in NY and Chicago at least.

Unlike Hohner, Koch catalogs seem to be extremely rare. I only have one, issued by their Office and Salesrooms at 296, Broadway, New York - the price list enclosed with it is dated July 1 1921.

I haven't seen any button Hohner Amicas, only piano accordions.  Did they use the Amica name on button accordions from the era following their acquisition of Koch?

They didn't start to use the "Amica" name, and then only on piano accordions, until 1999. But Hohner have considerable history of recycling names and trade marks - both their own, and ones they acquired when they took over rival firms.

Mick

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 05:52:16 PM »

Thanks, Stephen.

I found another example of a Kochamica while trolling around the internet. Equally old, but less fancy in its appointments, not sure what is inside.

Will proceed with the "repairs" to get it in some playable condition. I love the ingenuity on display in accordion design in general. Some stubborn aspects of design in this one may be in the way.  I work in a digital fabrication shop so may make a few parts for the stubborn fun of it.

A tuning bellows and learning to do so is on the medium range task list.  In my dream work world, at least.

Mick

triskel

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 09:41:44 PM »

I found another example of a Kochamica while trolling around the internet. Equally old, but less fancy in its appointments, not sure what is inside.

That's a 2-row one with a brown-painted finish? I saw that.

But both boxes have inexpensive finishes (yours being a bit fancier-looking with painted-on wood graining and a "marquetry" transfer), which fit in with my impression that "Amica" ("friend") is the kind of name that got used for budget, or "value" brands. Indeed, that's how Hohner use it today, for their Chinese range of PAs.

I have a single-row one of similar quality, and with a snappy sound to it, but with an open keyboard and the same screw-tensioned fastening hooks. The reeds in yours have the Dix circle stamping (never a bad thing!), whilst mine have the Koch "Mira" emblem on them.

Mick

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 02:35:54 PM »

Thanks, Stephen, that is helpful information about the Dix reeds.  I was able to find a nice site talking about the company and methods of reed production from a thread here.

I do enjoy the faux finish / grain painting on the box and on furniture and interior wood moldings as well. I learned some techniques in that -- and with faux marble and tortoiseshell -- when involved with furniture work and restorations some while back.

Your take on the "Amica" name sounds entirely plausible. Probably more catchy for an international market than "Freundin".

Mick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal