Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gussets desintagrating  (Read 1768 times)

melodona

• Melodona Accordions
Gussets desintagrating
« on: March 27, 2017, 11:38:46 PM »

Hello
A client brought me a Chinese box with gussets made of that black fabric, which disintegrates with time. It's now leaking from everywhere. Any way to salvage this without replacing all those gussets? I was wondering about the spray they use on tent to make them waterproof again. Crazy?

Thanks for any tips.

Julie

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
Re: Gussets desintagrating
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 11:48:14 PM »

Don't you just hate it when that happens?
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 12:16:19 AM »

I've recently received a melodeon with all the gussets made out of a dark blue plastic bag! It doesn't hold air very well.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

melodona

• Melodona Accordions
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 01:56:33 AM »

This is a specific kind of synthetic fabric. I've seen it before, but never had to deal with it falling apart myself. I'm just wondering if there's a cost effective way to save it. So the time spent on it would cost significantly less for my client than a brand new bellows...

Julie

invadm

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 03:51:36 PM »

what is the box it self? is it on of them 4 stop Cajun models? if so I kept one as spare but no really needed..mine had a broken key board..well I broke it while trying to make it air tight around the pallets.. 

melodona

• Melodona Accordions
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 04:05:39 PM »

No, a piano accordion. I see left over glue from "Sonata" letters on the front. Plastic blocs and plastic bellows frame; Chinese work.

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 04:38:24 PM »

Yes a picture of a simple but effective repair. You need strips of material close weave linen, in this case I used a party chair cover material that was good. The material needs to be close woven but not air tight. The bellows removed and open to full length I secured with wood strips but you need to allow anoth room to work in.The strips are longer than the bellows lenght including the folds and then socked in whash-able(waterproof PVA) craft glue this forms the air seal. its is then layed as seen along the length of all corners..Then cover again with grease proof paper and clamp the bellows closed with weights. It can be a very messy job and do not let glue get on outside of bellows more than can be helped and make sure the grease proof paper covers all glue inside. I use a slate or metal square to get the material into the corners working up so as not to stretch the ribbon as it will pull out. When clamped the trick is to un clamp when the glue is dry enough to stay in place but not so dry as the excess glues the bellows together. The grease paper seperates the inside folds and hopefully not to much glue has got to the outside folds. This repair in this case is 99% air tight you can see light but the mixture of material and glue form the air seal as does the fold. I have found easier to use on long piece than bits.I used leather and hot glue before but the bellows were noticably stiffer.Trial and error I have had some bad results but basically the bellows are stuffed if you can repair anyway. This is not a better solution than new bellows but is quite affective. I have seen it done with tape but this can add bulk to the bellows and I found very hard to get into the corners. Micropore  might be easier.This bellows was quite sucessfull and is no different to any used hohner and most people would not notice.I got the idea from the work seen on repairs to concertina bellows.

Google bellows making for an idea of how bellows papers are covered and simple ways to hold the bellow open

If you want to paint all the gussets you can use liquid latex with a thickening addative but dont clamp or you will glue it together and takes some time to dry,some stiffness will be added.But I changed to the above. Both are very messy be organised from the start(ha he says)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 04:57:29 PM by folkloristmark »
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 04:40:04 PM »

Actually that is a east german Weltmeister. There is not a easy fix for the bellows. For a time they were trying things other than leather for the bellows corners.

I don't think there is a way to reseal the fabric well enough to make it very playable.

Most likely you can get a new set from them pretty reasonably.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

invadm

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 05:45:44 PM »

it is indeed a weltmeister..what is the measurement of the bellow with out the frame ? I have an extra PA bellow removed from a small Hohner in superb condition, I think it was student II.
if any good to you let me know

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 06:11:50 PM »

I think generally Weltmeister boxes are well built, but getting parts from the factory ...
 Well Kimric luckily seems to have a kind of special relationship with them. My experience is they don't bother to answer emails. I phoned them a couple of times. Never ever did I get what I wanted. Maybe times have changed since they have a web shop.

melodona

• Melodona Accordions
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 08:45:43 PM »

The bellows are 13" X 6 5/8" X 2 1/2", 16 folds of 1" depth.

Invadm, how about yours?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:47:15 PM by melodona »

invadm

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 09:34:47 AM »

The bellows are 13" X 6 5/8" X 2 1/2", 16 folds of 1" depth.

Invadm, how about yours?
I will double check in the evening and confirm but if i'm not mistaken it was 31.5cm x18cm and 16 folds in total without the frame...I will double check tonight   

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »

That should work with the bellows ends swapped?. I have one but it 7half inch wide 13 inch 3 inch the bellow that is not the bellows ends.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

triskel

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 09:52:42 PM »

Actually that is a east german Weltmeister.

That's what I was thinking myself when I saw the photos, and especially those moulded plastic reedblocks - though the (scrap) one I have here is branded Royal Standard.

That'd be the best option, if you can.

invadm

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 11:49:19 PM »

bellow I have; 31.5cm (12.5'') and 18cm (7'') without the end frame, I think it'll work if you use your own end frame.
pm me if any good to you.cheers Mus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal