Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rights of Man on the D/G box  (Read 1494 times)

Katie Howson

• Regular debater
Rights of Man on the D/G box
« on: March 29, 2017, 10:27:28 PM »

I feel sure this must have cropped up in a forum before, but I can't find it on a quick search ...

Has anyone got a definitive version of how to play The Rights of Man on a D/G box (in Em). I have known this tune for many years but never really bothered to work it out properly, and every time I think about it I come up with a different way of placing it on the D/G box. Just had another go, with yet another fingering system, and then thought someone out there will already have come to a conclusion about this and perhaps I'll just borrow theirs. I can see that the first bar would benefit from playing across the rows entirely to keep the Em chord. Any existing notation (but I don't like ABC) gratefully received.

And when I have cracked this, I promise to write a tune called The Rights of Woman - and it will be dedicated to Mary Wollstonecraft!

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
Re: Rights of Man on the D/G box
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 10:36:44 PM »

I haven't written anything out, but it is a very pull-heavy tune. I tend to cross row the first half of the first bar on the pull with Em and play the second half of that bar cross-rowing on the push with a Bm chord before going back to Em for the 2nd bar with push-pull fingering.

I find that whenever the tune goes back to the top octave on an Em chord - cross-rowing is the best solution with the exception of those pesky Ds that you need to waggle the bellows for.
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Katie Howson

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 09:23:06 AM »

The guitar tabs I've found favour an Em right through the first three bars, followed by Am, then back to Em for 2 1/2 bars, Bm, Em, so in the A music that would be all on the pull except for half a bar. Almost impossible with chords as well, so much air needed in one direction, so maybe swapping to a Bm in bar 1 would work better and balance it out a bit.

A D on the pull would be sooo useful sometimes, wouldn't it?

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 10:09:36 AM »

The guitar tabs I've found favour an Em right through the first three bars

If you're playing along with a guitarist who's following that scheme, you can just play a B bass without the chord and it will fit the E minor chord. If there's no guitar or other instrument forcing you into Em for three bars on the trot, you can do what you like  ;)
(and a B under bar 2 is fine musically)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 01:31:06 PM by Anahata »
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Microbot

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 11:11:35 AM »

Hi Katie,

I think it all depends how you 'hear' the tune... for me it gets a bit monotonous if played mostly in E and A minors ... I like to drop in C major chords/bass and D majors for variety ... that makes it more modal (I always did have a sweet tooth when it comes to tunes...).

Dulahan the Irish duo drop in the odd passing A major which is also nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc7g1s6Cp9o

Overall I think for a tune like this you don't want a fixed pattern of chords but options that give you varying sequences.

And I like the idea of the title 'Rights of Woman'  - Mary Wollstonecraft was a brilliant writer and political thinker.

Mike R

Gromit

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 11:40:24 AM »

Paddy O'brien playing on a B/C (?), probably not too useful but a nice version with not over powering bass/chords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DJZDlgBNzA

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 09:46:12 AM »

To demonstrate a v nice chord accompniament on a box with limited chords (like a melodeon) here is Basil Bunelik playing TROM on a small 12 bass (e.g. Six chords) pa. I also v much like the rythmn he has, which is how I try to play ROM on a box. Slower and dotted.
https://youtu.be/TAuoxoZPt6Q

Katie Howson

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 12:15:47 PM »

To demonstrate a v nice chord accompniament on a box with limited chords (like a melodeon) here is Basil Bunelik playing TROM on a small 12 bass (e.g. Six chords) pa. I also v much like the rythmn he has, which is how I try to play ROM on a box. Slower and dotted.
https://youtu.be/TAuoxoZPt6Q

That's really nice. I prefer this tune at that speed & rhythm too. Thanks for the link.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal