Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie!!  (Read 7901 times)

Selam

• Regular debater
Newbie!!
« on: July 17, 2009, 08:16:21 PM »

Hello!

I'm getting my first melodeon tomorrow as an absolute beginner and I'm so unbelievably excited!  I'm (probably) getting a Weltmeister 86W D/G. I'm sure I'll be on here a lot with questions but for now just wanted to say HELLOOOO!!!

(:)

HallelujahAl

Re: Newbie!!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 08:31:28 PM »

Welcome - this is a great place - very friendly with lots of great advice etc. Let us know when you get your box - what sort of music are you hoping to play on it?
AL

tiny

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 08:35:33 PM »

Yes welcome. I'm quite new myself and have gained a lot of helpful advice.  Enjoy your new box.
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 08:36:05 PM »

Hello euterpe

I am intrigued by your choice of sobriquet. Tell us what got you started.

Mike

Mike from Ponte Caffaro

Eoin

• anglo GC, BC, BCC#
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 09:02:01 PM »

Hello,

do you know what you've taken on???  :o  Not just this wonderful world of musical knowledge, but an instrument which will challenge your musicality and invention to the grave!!!!   >:E
welcome - I'm a newbie too, and a bit obsessive (although a B/C myself).

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 09:14:14 PM »

Thank you!! This place is fantastic! So much knowledge! I've already been searching through the archives! (:) I can barely sleep with the excitement!

I have an inkling what I'm letting myself in for just from the posts on here!! I've been intrigued by squeezeboxes for years but the decision to get one myself was rather impulsive! Once I'd decided to do it though, I knew it was a completely perfect idea!

As for what kind of music I want to play - I haven't a clue. I suppose I've mainly heard them playing English folk and morris tunes but my musical brain is all about crossovers so who knows what I'll end up doing!

Thanks for already making me feel welcome!

Ps - Euterpe has been my netname for over a decade. I was/am very interested in mythology and chose her as she was the Muse of lyric poetry and music. Plus at the time I was a pretentious student...

triskel

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 09:21:14 PM »

... euterpe

Muse of music, giver of delight, welcome!

I am intrigued by your choice of sobriquet.

Grittites - terrorists that worship manliness and unneccessary explosions...  :o

Bryson

• Regular debater
  • Connemara II - Pokerwork - Lilly - Black Pearl II
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 09:47:21 PM »

The melodeon is best started by bashing along the rows and playing some tunes. Listen. Play. etc

It's the 1+1=4 that can stump people but you do have the same note in , mostly, two directions.. and often then a chord or bass to match.

There is no destination with such a quirky instument it is .. really... a most fascinating journey.

Good luck and welcome
Bryson
A Blackburn Rovers fan since 1957 :( cross rowing on a D/G melodeon since 2007

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 10:06:10 PM »

Grittites - terrorists that worship manliness and unneccessary explosions...  Shocked

Yes, I discovered that recently  :-[ :-[. I come from a very rural community called "The Gritt". People who come from The Gritt are known as Grittites, in the past it was a term of abuse hurled at us by the more genteel local bourgeoisie, which is probably why we worship manliness and unneccessary explosions.  :P :P
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 11:12:01 PM »

"genteel local bourgeoisie" - in Minsterley????  :o
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 07:29:59 AM »

Hi there!
Welcome to the squeezebox world!! Prepare yourself to have lots of fun!!!!!!!! I'm quite a newbie myself but have owned at least one box for 2 years. Just started playing, though, and love it!!!

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 09:07:37 AM »

"genteel local bourgeoisie" - in Minsterley?Huh?  Shocked

Remember this is The Gritt we are talking about.
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 06:40:06 PM »

I've got it!!!! It is indeed a Weltmeister. I'm happily squeezing away (much to the consternation of the cat) trying to get a feel for it. So far I LOVE IT!!! I'm just trying out tunes I know and seeing if I can figure them out. I'm an impatient learner!
 :|||:

HallelujahAl

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 06:55:43 PM »

Great! Keep us posted with your progress. There's loads of help available here as well.
AL

upmine3

• Regular debater
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 10:12:31 PM »

Hi euterpe,
Weltmeister's are good boxes with a nice sound to them so you won't be disappointed.
Best of luck to you.
Castagnari Kriss III B/C -  Hohner Double Ray De-Lux B/C Pokerwork (presswood) Pokerwork (Brown)

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 10:23:30 PM »

Thanks! I like the sound so far.

I think I've figured out what button does what and I've attempted a few tunes - so far so good. I've had to stop now cos my arm aches! (The cat is grateful for this at least!)
I've read everything on the site and trawled through the old message threads for tips and advice. You guys are FANTASTIC!

Oh and I now have the utmost admiration for anyone who manages to play CHORDS on these things! How on earth?!!!

HallelujahAl

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 05:41:33 AM »

Oh and I now have the utmost admiration for anyone who manages to play CHORDS on these things! How on earth?!!!

Hold more than one button down and push ...or pull ..and voila - a chord. The trick is to play it at the right time a trick I still haven't mastered yet! ;D
AL

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 11:13:32 AM »

Welcome euterpe! This is the best forum on the whole web  (:)
I am a relative newby too and am also madly in love with my melodeon. Came home this morning from a couple of days in sunny Brisbane visiting my sister and pushed past my devoted spouse and youngest daughter to get at the instrument and say hello to it. Enjoy your lovely Weltmeister.
I don't get 'jigs'

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 06:01:30 PM »

Great! Happy squeezing!!! It is so much fun, I'm also a more or less beginner, just learned my first Italian tune on the organetto and I'm in the process of learning a few tunes properly on the 2-row. Keep up posted on your progress and all the fun you are having!

melodeon

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 07:55:24 PM »

Congrats on the purchase,  very nice instrument... light fun fast and very serviceable with good tone.

Welcome
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal