Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie!!  (Read 7898 times)

robinbid

Re: Newbie!!
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 12:00:56 AM »

I thought I was a jaded old fool until I found Melodeon.net. Now i know I am and I'm in good company! I thought that baritone sax and trombone was a good way of annoying people in the folk world, then I found cajun one rows (yes, Rees is responsible for a couple of lessons) and now our local school wants us to teach their kids some country dances, so I've just bought a DG and have to decide whether to learn to do row crossing, or to compromise my Cajun instincts and keep to the one row technique. Oh, what a dilemma. As long as people suffer for my art, I don't really care, as long as they enjoy the noise........Fortunately, the better half is an accomplished fiddle player, so will help me to limp into English folk melodeon.
I think it's just about enjoying the noise and enjoying learning, and if you meet nice folk as part of it, then that's all to the good.

Welcome to melodeonworld and I'm glad to be a newbie (:) too.
cheers
robin

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 12:49:59 AM »

Hi

Thought I'd add a wee welcome to you to the forum too.

You are definetly in safe hands.  I can garantee that one wee question from you will start a debate with no end in site.  But you can be sure there will be tongue in cheek comments, a few laughs and a bit of serious advice in there too.

We seem to have a good collection of folk here on this forum.  Definetly the best place on the net!

Oh and chords will come to you when you least expect it.  Usually in the form of a mistake that sounds good!
Black Shand Morino

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 06:37:30 AM »

Oh and chords will come to you when you least expect it.  Usually in the form of a mistake that sounds good!

Wise words!

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2009, 07:42:08 AM »

Wow - I really feel welcome! (:) Thank you!!!!!
I've attempted nearly every tune I can think of and practised a couple until I have got them to a "reasonable" standard. I have accidentally found some chords but none that sound good yet!  ;)

Row crossing - I take it that is as it sounds? In which case I seem to be attempting it because the note I want isn't HERE but it is THERE. (I am going to buy a book and probably DVD to learn with but I couldn't wait for that to get started!!!!)

I really do love it already! It's the first thing I think of in the morning and the last thing at night! That's love, right?  ;)

Now I must go to work and leave my beloved for a few hours.

Parting is such sweet sorrow...

xxx
euterpe
PS - I overuse exclamation marks - I hope it doesn't offend anyone. I am receiving treatment! ;)

HallelujahAl

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2009, 07:55:25 AM »

PS - I overuse exclamation marks - I hope it doesn't offend anyone. I am receiving treatment

It is not really possible to overuse exclamation marks in a place like this - we all fully understand that when talking about our squeezeboxes it is very easy to run out of superlatives!
AL

TonyRussellDavis

• Tony Russell Davis (Black Sheep Tone/BLT)
  • Regular debater
  • Mandos'n'guitars'n'boxes'n'pipes'n'stuff.
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 08:18:26 AM »

Another welcome note, from Yorkshire. You will find lots of help here. Tony.
ps please give my regards to Melponene, Terpsichore, Clio and the rest?
Call if you're ever in North Yorkshire.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 11:59:01 AM »

Warmest greetings from Wales.
Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of melodeons.
I've been playing for 35 years and they never did me no harm - twitch, twitch, dribble.  :||:
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 12:09:33 PM »

Warmest greetings from Wales.
Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of melodeons.
I've been playing for 35 years and they never did me no harm - twitch, twitch, dribble.  :||:

Uh oh.  Does this mean that, with a bit more experience, I might start to exhibit signs of weird and unusual behaviour?  Nobody warned me about that before.  I hope it's not too late.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

joe

• Regular debater
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 12:22:55 PM »

Oh, and dreaming up how to play tunes will become commonplace,or is that just me? It seems that Box playing is a whole new level of consciousness that cannot be reached chemically

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2009, 12:32:52 PM »

Oh, and dreaming up how to play tunes will become commonplace,or is that just me? It seems that Box playing is a whole new level of consciousness that cannot be reached chemically

It's just so transcendental, man.
We should write the book "Zen and the art of the melodeon" or "The Tao of Box".

Uh oh, I sense a great slew of thread drift approaching (euterpe, this is normal, but as Bruce Cockburn sang "The trouble with normal is it always gets worse!"
www.melodeons.com

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2009, 12:33:55 PM »

Nope - I spent so much time thinking about jig-time basses a few weeks ago that on one occasion I woke up in the middle of the night playing air-melodeon. I can do it now...

So you can see there's plenty of fun ahead of you Eurterpe  ::) ;D Welcome!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2009, 01:12:17 PM »

It's just so transcendental, man.
We should write the book "Zen and the art of the melodeon" or "The Tao of Box".

Uh oh, I sense a great slew of thread drift approaching (euterpe, this is normal, but as Bruce Cockburn sang "The trouble with normal is it always gets worse!"

Recommended reading on melodeons and trance states:

http://www.johnkirkpatrick.co.uk/wr_MedleyMania.htm

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2009, 01:21:11 PM »

Recommended reading on melodeons and trance states:

http://www.johnkirkpatrick.co.uk/wr_MedleyMania.htm

I read that article when it first came out and it really did change my approach to playing tunes.
Essential reading for dance musicians and sessioneers alike.
Thanks for the refresher, Lester. Most invigorating, now where's my bong?
www.melodeons.com

HallelujahAl

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2009, 01:46:30 PM »

Hey Rees,
What about 'Karma Melodeon'? or better - 'Melodeon, the Fifth Branch of Mabinogi'?
AL ;D

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2009, 10:48:52 AM »

Oooh I love a good thread hijack! I do think I've a way to go before attempting any form of melodeonic meditation!

Thanks to everyone for making me feel so welcome!

(:)

euterpe

(I can now play FOUR tunes! And at least 15 people in my office now know what a melodeon is...)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2009, 10:57:35 AM »

(I can now play FOUR tunes! And at least 15 people in my office now know what a melodeon is...)
Woo! I can only play four off by heart and three if I have to do LH as well.
2 People in my office know what a melodeon is..well one called it a squeezebox, the other knew someone who played one in a band once.

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2009, 11:25:32 AM »

Quote from: euterpe
(I can now play FOUR tunes! And at least 15 people in my office now know what a melodeon is...)[/color]

Have you squeezed it at them? It took me a few months to get to that stage  ::)

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2009, 01:33:37 PM »

ladydetemps, maybe our definitions of 'play' are a bit different!! I'm just still so EXCITED by this all. I lay awake in bed this morning waiting until it was late enough to be able to play without disturbing people! OBSESSED already.

What kind of tunes do you play?

Not squeezed at work yet although I've had several people ask! The people I work with are considering getting a 'swear box' for any time I mention melodeons in the office... I think I'm going to be broke very soon!

(:)

euterpe

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »

ladydetemps, maybe our definitions of 'play' are a bit different!! I'm just still so EXCITED by this all. I lay awake in bed this morning waiting until it was late enough to be able to play without disturbing people! OBSESSED already.

I used to consider anything I got out of it as play..now its if I can play without looking at the music that I feel like i've learnt it. I too practice a lot..which has got my family saying things like 'haven't you practiced enough yet?'. lol! I think I need a melodeon with headphones. :-\

What kind of tunes do you play?
allsorts..whatever sticks in my head really..althouh I find nursary rhymes the most relaxing to play.  ::)

tiny

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2009, 02:23:05 PM »

I have never thought to play nursery rhymes what a lovely idea. I'm off to try some. 
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal