Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New member, thank-you & glad to be here!  (Read 2858 times)

Chris73

• Dog is man's best friend
New member, thank-you & glad to be here!
« on: March 30, 2017, 10:55:32 AM »

Hello all on Melodeon.net!
I'm a new member and this is my first post. Ordinarily I'm not one for internet forums etc but I just have to make an exception.
After a few weeks of lurking as a guest I thought I would take the plunge and register, life is just too short! My name is Chris and I live in Hampshire, UK.
I've admired the Melodeon, from a distance, for the past 10 years or so. When I've been out and about I have always stopped, watched and listened to it being played by Morrismen. My foot then gets tapping, I'm captivated by the sound, and I wonder how hard it would be to play. Then the pace of modern life takes over and the urge fades away into the past, until the next time of hearing one. Enough is enough, time to have a go, I don't want to be on my death bed thinking, 'well...Chris, you really should have tried it' and then wonder what it would have been like.
I've been doing research on Melodeons, watching you-tube (daddy long les love your work) and looking on Ebay. I love English Morris tunes + traditional so would like a D/G, 2 row. My mouse has been hovering daily over 'buy it now' buttons on Ebay, but I have refrained.

I've spoken to very nice people, who are long standing members on the forum and asked their advice, thanks again for your time (Martyn White and the East Anglian Folk society)
They recommended that I try before I buy and to put a post up on the forum, so here I am!

Please can anybody point me in the direction from where I could possibly obtain a D/G Melodeon to rent, within Hampshire, or very nearby? I am very willing of course to pay the appropriate fee. I think this is the preferable option for me, to see if I take to it before committing to the big purchase.
My Grandfather was in the merchant Navy in the early 1900's for many years and he was the ship's band accordion player, my mother has got his accordion in her loft! So I'm hoping his flair might have been handed down to me. I'm 43yrs old and knocking on a bit now so let's have a go.
I'm not completely new to music. I've been playing the 5 string Banjo for the past 3 years (self taught with a sprinkling of lessons) Bluegrass mainly, so I know the time & effort required to learn an instrument and am very keen to give the Melodeon a good go.

Any help and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Best regards,
Chris.

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
Re: New member, thank-you & glad to be here!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 11:04:18 AM »

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum and the crazy world of melodeons.

Thank you for your kind words.  Don't worry about "knocking on" at 43 - I was 58 when I started 6 years ago!!! It's funny, I went from banjo to melodeon although I've played/taught the guitar all my working life.  If you're prepared to work hard, the melodeon is a wonderful instrument and also totally addictive.  You're wise to be wary of eBay - much better to buy one on here from an established fettler or player.

Lots of luck at the start of your journey.

Les
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:14:02 AM by Daddy Long Les »
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

JimmyM

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 11:47:13 AM »

Welcome to the forum :||:
Pretty much what Les said. It's a wonderful instrument and often played by some 'interesting' people >:E
Having wasted a small fortune on ebay, I would agree that its probably not the best way to go.
 I've always found melodeonistas (?) to be a friendly bunch and free with their, often conflicting, advice ;)

Chris73

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 03:59:23 PM »

Thank-you both for the very warm welcome and i'll take those points onboard. I'm quite an eccentric so should fit in nicely  8)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 04:39:31 PM »

Only 43!   You are a babe in arms!

Buying off ebay is a good way of learning how many ways a box can go wrong.  If you want to learn to repair them it's not a bad way to start.  But if you want to learn to play then best get a box from someone who knows what they are selling and preferably will give you some backup if it gives problems.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:42:05 PM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 05:27:20 PM »

BABE IN ARMS......I'm 70 this year.
 Welcome Chris you've joined the right gang.
If youl PM me I might have something you could borrow, and it's not as you'll find out,  Malcolm Bebb's Koch !
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 05:37:50 PM »

If youl PM me I might have something you could borrow, and it's not as you'll find out,  Malcolm Bebb's Koch !
Martyn White has a Koch in BbEb for sale.  It's a really lovely box and oh, the fun I could have!!!!......... >:E :|bl ;D
Also, that's a very kind offer Nick!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 05:41:18 PM by Daddy Long Les »
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Chris73

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 06:20:11 PM »

Hello Nick, thanks for your reply  (:) I'm feeling like the spring chicken around here! Thank-you so much for the offer, PM inbound shortly! The Koch would be too much for me to handle that's for sure :||:

Chris73

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 06:22:12 PM »

Martyn White has a Koch in BbEb for sale.  It's a really lovely box and oh, the fun I could have!!!!......... >:E :|bl ;D

Les, surely you can't have any room left in your house for more Melodeon's!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 06:23:58 PM »

Les is a mere beginner up against some of us   8)

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 06:57:37 PM »

Les is a mere beginner up against some of us   8)

(:)

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 07:16:48 PM »

Chris - it's not just the melodeons that are the problem, it's all the other musical instruments!  I think I've got the best wife in the world.  In 2010, Jenny said I should use our lovely front bedroom as my teaching/music room/studio.  This is the room you see in my videos.  I think it's safe to say that she is one in a million!!

Les

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 07:36:09 PM »

If a certain gentleman was Welsh, he would be "Pikey The Box". He's recently been down in that London, negotiating for the rental of Buckingham Palace as his overflow store.  :|glug
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Chris73

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 07:47:40 PM »

Chris - it's not just the melodeons that are the problem, it's all the other musical instruments!  I think I've got the best wife in the world.  In 2010, Jenny said I should use our lovely front bedroom as my teaching/music room/studio.  This is the room you see in my videos.  I think it's safe to say that she is one in a million!!

Les

Yep, you have certainly landed on your feet there! My wifey had a nag when I bought a second Banjo...however I then reminded her about all the shoe's and handbag's she has purchased over the years, which haven't been used. Funny, I heard nothing after that! 8)

Chris73

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 07:51:49 PM »

"Les is a mere beginner up against some of us   8)"

Hello Lester, it appears so (:) I've been watching your tune-a-day blogs for a few months now. Jaw dropping stuff and a pleasure to watch :||:

Jonathan Arnett

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 08:38:52 PM »

Hello, I won't offer any advice as I started with a D/G Pokerwork a few weeks ago. Really glad I took the plunge and am loving it. I have a theory that Melodeon players are an exceptionally good people. Well they seem a real friendly bunch on here. Even some of the dealers I have approached through this forum seem only interested in selling you the right instrument.  I got my box from Buy and sell on this forum and it was quite a painless process. Enjoy your time here Chris.

Chris73

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 09:12:54 PM »

Hello, I won't offer any advice as I started with a D/G Pokerwork a few weeks ago. Really glad I took the plunge and am loving it. I have a theory that Melodeon players are an exceptionally good people. Well they seem a real friendly bunch on here. Even some of the dealers I have approached through this forum seem only interested in selling you the right instrument.  I got my box from Buy and sell on this forum and it was quite a painless process. Enjoy your time here Chris.

Thanks Jonathan, glad to hear it's going ok for you. The Pokerwork seems to be the weapon of choice, the workhorse! The responses and warm welcome is brilliant, I've had three very generous PM's already! :||:

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 10:56:20 PM »

"I then reminded her about all the shoe's and handbag's"

You're a better man than I am, Gungha Din!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Chris73

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 04:51:04 PM »

"I then reminded her about all the shoe's and handbag's"

You're a better man than I am, Gungha Din!

Thanks Edward...it just had to be done :M

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 04:56:04 PM »

"Les is a mere beginner up against some of us   8)"

Hello Lester, it appears so (:) I've been watching your tune-a-day blogs for a few months now. Jaw dropping stuff and a pleasure to watch :||:

It's a fine body of work Chris.  By the way, having met the man in person, I am able to say that I have seen him smile!!  ;D ;D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal