Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: T-Cut for Accordions?  (Read 3099 times)

HallelujahAl

T-Cut for Accordions?
« on: July 18, 2009, 09:05:04 AM »

Hi - anyone got any ideas on a suitable product to fill in and renovate scratched celluloid. One of my boxes in particular is quite badly marked presumably by the straps when it's been stored in its case. I suppose I'm thinking along the lines of T-Cut for accordions/melodeons - does such a thing exist? I should add that the colour of the celluloid is a plain gloss black. Thanks.
AL
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 09:07:17 AM by HallelujahAl »

an bosca ceoil

• Respected Sage
Re: T-Cut for Accordions?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 09:26:49 AM »

T-Cut for cars works just as well on melodeon celluloid, it is just that the makers do not know it and advertise the fact!
(Just as Gillette did not realise their blades were really intended for scraping barrack room floor boards, rather than for shaving.)
If the scratches are severe you can use Faracle cutting compound, available from car refinishing factors, which has a bit more "bite". This is best used with some sort of high speed mop and a lot of care or by hand with lots of vigour.
 Even deep gouges can be removed using progressively finer grades of Wet & Dry paper, before finishing off with compound.

Larry Anthony

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 11:13:13 AM »

Brasso, works on glass too.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 10:18:20 PM »

Just in case you're searching for it, the brand preciously mentioned should be "Farecla".  They make a range of polishes from coarse to ultra fine for boats and cars.  I never thought of using it on my boxes, either!

Rob.

an bosca ceoil

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 12:53:04 AM »

Just in case you're searching for it, the brand preciously mentioned should be "Farecla".  They make a range of polishes from coarse to ultra fine for boats and cars.  I never thought of using it on my boxes, either!

Rob.

DISLEXIKS LURE K.O!

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 09:58:01 AM »

This was from an accordion site a long time ago and I have no Idea if it works but they suggested nail varnish for building up missing bits of celluloid. Any comments on this would be good as I have a small hole on one of my black Ericas and a bottle of nail varnish waiting.
aka malodeon

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 01:12:49 PM »

I've used it for repairing chips in thick polyester acrylic guitar finishes.  Vey, very slow job though.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 01:42:08 PM »

Yes you have to take it very slowly because the solvent in nail varnish will also soften the celluloid on your box.  So lots of thin coats applied with drying time between. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Bill the Farmer

• Not quite so
  • Respected Sage
  • Hohner Club, Liliput...
    • Bill Farmer
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 10:50:20 AM »

I used Humbrol black enamel because I happened to have a tin. I didn't notice any side effects like dissolving the celluloid.
Bill of Old Shoreham Town

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 02:31:58 PM »

No you wouldn't because Humbrol is an oil-based paint.  The solvent in nail varnish is mostly acetone which really can turn celluloid into porridge.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 12:16:24 AM »

Do they do T-Cut for accordions for cars? Mine got cut up at (or rather not far from) Sidmouth this week ....  :-\ (but Pete Coe's Workshop was worth it!!!!  :||:).

Chris
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 07:18:15 AM »

Hi,
re T cut,a better alternative is brasso [also used in trade to remove scratches from acrylic baths],not as abrasive or for very fine finish a friend if mine suggest jewelers rouge,make to fine paste with water.

Pete
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal