Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing The Trumpet Hornpipe well.  (Read 4383 times)

gmatkin

• Gavin Atkin
    • Julieandhersqueeze.com
Re: Playing The Trumpet Hornpipe well.
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 06:00:25 PM »

I did one of my instructional videos for the Horsmonden traditional music workshoppers, and it might give someone an idea or two that they fancy using or at least trying... https://youtu.be/7mNiTmNZ9Eo

There's a workshop at Horsmonden's The Gun tonight if anyone fancies an expedition!

Gavin

george garside

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 10:30:25 PM »

I find the easiest way to play groups of 4 notes (triplet+1)   is to use three fingers held closely together and struck across the button for the triplet plus an extra prod with the first finger for the +1. this provides a triplet that is both fast and even.

also if the bass are tapped lightly the whole tune can be played on the row and indeed on a one row

There is a nice clear set of dots in David Olivers  'English folk tunes for accordion'' whith bass suggested for piano box with stradella.  This can however be melodeonised by playing the 7ths as majors etc  and of course on a one row by playing the economical 2 bass lightly when they sound ok and swiftly leaving them off  when they don't

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2017, 10:53:00 PM »

I find the easiest way to play groups of 4 notes (triplet+1)   is to use three fingers held closely together and struck across the button for the triplet plus an extra prod with the first finger for the +1. this provides a triplet that is both fast and even...

george

Thanks George.

I decided to try the practise practise practise approach using the three fingered and two fingered techniques. On the poker work the three fingered approach is easiest and getting better, but I still have a tendency not to release the button enough for the second and third presses to sound as distinct notes. Sometimes they do, which suggests more practise needed. On the Saltarelle, which has mushroom buttons, the two fingered approach seems easier.

I don't even like the tune that much (I suspect the neighbours are sick of it) but it feels important to me to master the techniques, now I've started.

I still want to play at Pugwash tempo and with Pugwash clarity, but I am not sure that that can be achieved on a 21 button DG melodeon, or a 25 button one, come to that.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

george garside

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 09:49:22 AM »

the 3 finger (cogwheel) technique works just as well on mushroom or pokerwork buttons but is slightly easier on the outside row  so it can help to first get the hang of it on the outside row. The 3 fingers should rub over the button  in a diagonal direction relative to the edge of the keyboard and in effect just 'flick' the button 3 times i.e. do not press hard!  The diagonal direction is essential when on the inside row to provide clearance between the 3 stuck together fingers and the grille,

I    use 2 straps  on all my boxes including one row   which may help  as while playing the triplet I don't have to use the thumb to push against the edge of the keyboard  , using it merely as a means of locating the hand in a particular position on the keyboard  and occasionaly using it to play low notes when playing in the upper octave.

george

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017, 12:43:16 PM »

the 3 finger (cogwheel) technique works just as well on mushroom or pokerwork buttons....
I    use 2 straps  on all my boxes including one row ...

george

My problem with the three finger technique on the Saltarelle is down to the the instrument, not technique, I think. The buttons clatter like hell as they return. Sounds like a machine gun. I think this may be due to the design, not worn pads, or anything like that.

I played using three fingers on the pokerwork a few times though this morning and it was just about perfect, then it went to rat poo again. I'll just keep practising :)

I have used two straps ever since the superb Pauline (sometime of this parish, but not recently) set me up, when I first went for a few lessons with her. I even use a back strap when playing for dance, if my tatters are in a slip some mood.

Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

george garside

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 06:02:20 PM »

try just a very light flick across the buttons on the salterelle - they don't need to be pressed  down very much

george

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 10:58:16 AM »

Played this in company for the first time last night. Went fine. All the advice and work seems to have paid off. Thanks for all your help.
Greg Smith

911377brian

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 11:36:48 AM »

Bass notes as well,Greg?

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 03:33:34 PM »

Bass notes as well,Greg?

Erm, as available on a DG pokerwork. After Anahata showed me what was going on in the original I stopped fretting about it and left the fretting to the mandolin player, whose idea it was  (:)
Greg Smith

911377brian

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 04:40:11 PM »

I can never find a mandolin player when I need one....

Jonathan Arnett

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 09:04:25 PM »

Thanks for sharing the dots and the tutorial. Great thread. This is one I have to do. Trouble is theres and increasing list of great tunes I want to play and only a 2 hours a week I can practice. But I love this tune! So I think this one is next. 

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 09:13:14 PM »

I just tried this, and found the piano technique of 3,2,1, then 2 for the main next note to work best for me (that is using a 4 finger melodeon numbering - not including the thumb). Also starting from a fairly high starting point so you can throw the fingers at it. Again using the slipping off the edge technique that George stated. On the Milleret videos he slightly rotates the hand upwards (as if looking at your watch - wrong hand I know) in order to get a bit more bite as the fingers come down.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal