Discussions > Teaching and Learning

teaching melodeon

(1/5) > >>

mselic:
I'd like to get some opinions and feedback on an opportunity before me.  It has recently been suggested that I offer button accordion lessons within my particular community.  I'm not sure there is much call for it, but a few people have asked if I offer lessons and another has suggested that I should.  I've only been playing button accordion "full time" for about the last 2 to 3 years.  Before this time I had learned a handful of tunes on an old box and then let it sit for nearly a decade.  The last few years have been an exploration for me as I settled into the style of music and type of instrument that most suited my interests, and now deepening within my particular area of focus.  I have never considered myself to be ready or fit to offer lessons or tutelage of any kind on the box, so the suggestions that I do have left me a bit uncomfortable.  I could only offer people guidance about what I have learned myself, and so am no "expert".  Has anyone else been in this position and thought "am I good enough a player to actually teach others? And charge for my time?"

george garside:
there is a world of difference between  offering some free advice and help to people you know and want to encourage and  ''setting yourself up'' as  a teacher of an instrument in   formal charging for your services sense.

In the first scenario you are simply a helpful friend or neighbour  and the  recipient of your advice   should accept it 'warts  and all' in the spirit was intended

In the second scenario your 'students'  have  a right to expect  expert tuition and all that goes with it  in return for their hard earned cash!

My advice would be to persue  the ''free advice and help'' road  until you find your feet  and start to get good positive feedback from those you are helping .  If that happens you may wish to  offer paid   tuition to others- if not  just stick to sharing hints and tips !

george ;)

mselic:
I was considering doing a "by donation only" type of situation with the people who have heard me play and have asked for lessons. I think I would be comfortable with that.

boxcall:
I would say if you are open and honest about your limitions and maybe charge a reduced rate. then it should be alright. If you are able to get someone going and get something for your time, what's the problem? I would like to know are you playing by ear or by sheet music? so that if your student wants to learn a tune they know or like, could you play it straight away after hearing or reading or would you have to learn it first?

playandteach:
I think it also depends on your other skills. If you have taught something before to a decent standard, then you have some transferable skills. If you are new to teaching and relatively new to the melodeon, that may be a different kettle of fish.

I would happily teach the piano, but release the students to the right pair of hands when I'd run out of advice at the level I can play. Although I have often coached people on instruments I can't even hold correctly, because the coaching was on phrasing or interpretation, or ensemble playing etc.
I once did a ropes access course as a climber, and developed plenty of hard skills in placement of gear to set up abseils, top roping routes etc. then I found out the qualification was only truly 'live' once I'd led a variety of routes over the next 18 months (never going to happen). When I naively asked if it was necessary the instructor asked me if I'd like to learn the clarinet from a well intentioned but inexperienced player.
I think if you are the local expert in a melodeon desert then of course, in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. I think you are the only one able to answer the question. Apart from your students, of course.
There is a wider issue of expectation. Often when paying for services (plumber etc) people expect an immediate difference.
Even with experienced teachers the progress is less linear.
I'd advise talking frankly and generously with those who've expressed an interest. Give a free taster lesson that is a close fit to what you can deliver (in other words not a bells and whistles lesson you'd couldn't repeat regularly). Maybe don't have a cancellation period, but an ad hoc informal arrangement.
I'd advise however, setting up some sort of understanding about the learner's objectives and helping them to build a practice routine.
I sometimes give an instructional lesson for free, but with an understanding that the learner passes on their knowledge to someone else (not of course on the melodeon as I don't live in a melodeon desert).
Good luck. Be open, share struggles and solutions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version