Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scandi Squeeze In 2017 - Friday 28- Sunday 30 April  (Read 1462 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Scandi Squeeze In 2017 - Friday 28- Sunday 30 April
« on: March 29, 2017, 04:02:05 PM »

Posted for Jim Lucas.  I enjoyed this weekend very much last year and am going back.  They meet Friday afternoon  at a village a bus ride out of Lund and go to the scout camp from there. Accomodation is … bunky … but music is great and the food: cordon bleu A top Stockholm chef turned up with his 3  x £4000 concertinas and premarinaded cuts of meat!  (Veggie=no problem).  Early finish on Sunday allowed easy train back to Copenhagen and a 9.55 plane home.  Recommended. Chris

SSI 2017 INVITATION

We invite you to join us for SSI 2017 -- our Eightteenth Annual Scandinavian Squeeze-In -- Weekend April 28-30, 2017.  It's our annual gathering of squeezebox (concertina, melodeon, etc.) players.  We expect to see some new faces, as well as old friends, and the more is definitely the merrier.

Beginners and even the just curious are as welcome as the more experienced.  If you don't yet have a concertina or other squeezebox of your own, you can probably borrow one during the weekend.

Our concept is an informal and relaxed weekend where both expert and less-experienced squeezers can exchange tunes, techniques, and other knowledge, or just enjoy playing together.  There are no designated instructors or "performers". Instead, when everyone gathers on Friday evening we jointly compose a workshop schedule depending on what the participants want to learn and who has expertise to share.

For the 17th year in a row we are meeting at Gamlegård, a scouting retreat in the village of Torna Hällestad, in southern Sweden.  For more details, please visit our web site:    http://www.nonce.dk/SSI/   All essential information is there -- transportation, accommodations, food, workshops and other activities, -- though some details (like the location of the Sunday afternoon concert) are yet to be confirmed, and so will be added once they are firm.

This year's price is 650 SEK (Swedish kronor) for the weekend, the same as in recent years.   (As I write this, that's roughly €70, £51, or $76.)  This covers both lodging and meals from Friday evening through Sunday lunch.  As in the past, to encourage the participation of younger players, youth with limited funds can apply to us for a special reduced rate.  (We don’t quote a fixed rate for that, because each case is handled individually.)

Our booking deadline is Monday, April 4, but if you want to come, why hesitate?  You can book now. To tell us that you intend to come, or to ask questions, or for any other communications, the best way to contact us is by email at  ssi [at] nonce.dk
  _       _    _      _ 

richard.fleming

Re: Scandi Squeeze In 2017 - Friday 28- Sunday 30 April
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 06:04:05 PM »

Chris, it would be good to know what was so good about it from your point of view...
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Hasse

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:14:44 PM »

Unfortunately I’m not going this year. My wife is taking me to Paris instead… BUT I’m certainly going to miss this years SSI, it’s a really nice and very relaxed way too meet fellow squeeze box players. - A weekend together with relaxed free reed nerdy people, different approaches to music and playing the box, new inspiration and no stress!  (:)

Have a nice SSI 2017!  :||: :|||: :|glug
Sweden, Skåne

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 09:48:10 PM »

Well - it is in  scout house (nothing's perfect) but I got to spend an overnight in Copenhagen and then use their superb transport system to get to a village 15 miles outside Lund, in S Sweden. We all gathered at a delightful lady supporter's house, who lent me bedding (scouts again).  And off to the house in the woods. It's bunks, but most got a room to themselves.  50:50 melodeons v concertinas with some pretty exellent kit on the class photo.

The pensionaires themselves were a very mixed bunch - I went to explore polskas and stuff, but the swedes were very into English tunes so there was 'fair trade'.  food - as I say was the 'best ever' as they have a condon bleu chef who is a concertina 'knutt'. I even got to do a workshop myself on "extended chords". Session at a local folkies house in the evening.

On Sunday we all went off to a local small town 'long house' in the Viking tradition and did a concert!  Sweden is SO civilised and Denmark equally so. It was a true pleasure - mainly the people to be frank. I had 4 hours before my plane back - time enough to explore open sandwich cuisine, in Malmö

We Brits should explore the pleasures of Europe more. So much culture in such a small space. This weekend takes me to a dance in Brussels and 2 days summer school in Sint-Michielsgestel, S Holland with Toon Van Mierlo of Naragonia fame and several others (hopefully also Wouter Couper of this parish). Then I'm looking for jobs ... while I still have full European citizenship ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

richard.fleming

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 10:48:23 PM »

If I went I think I'd want to do polskor too, so it is disappointing if they don't do that.. Though I don't know how easy it would be to play them on a Csharp/D. Anyone else know?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 11:08:23 PM by richard.fleming »

Hasse

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 06:53:49 AM »

I play polskor on my C#D and most of the time its no real problem, but of course some keys gives you several issues to consider, and basses arn't always the best. You do have lots of polskor in D an G, start with those keys and work your way down polska road!  (:) It would have been great joining you playing polskas on C#D. Hope to see you next year!!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:05:39 AM by Hasse »
Sweden, Skåne

richard.fleming

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 12:47:40 PM »

Kanske skulle ha varit kul Hasse.

Jim Lucas

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 09:24:06 PM »

If I went I think I'd want to do polskor too, so it is disappointing if they don't do that.. Though I don't know how easy it would be to play them on a Csharp/D. Anyone else know?

Hi Richard, this is Jim.  After struggling with multiple computer problems, including and especially email, I'm finally managing to log in here at melodeon.net.

NOTE:  The booking deadline for this year's SSI has been extended to Monday, April 17 (a week from tomorrow).

Probably too late to influence a decision on your part, but:  There will definitely be folks playing/teaching/learning polskor at this year's SSI (I'll be one of them), and there's great variety to sample.  One year someone even taught the basic polska dance, due to popular demand.

And popular demand is what it's all about.  Like the American NorthEast Squeeze-In (but quite a bit smaller), this is neither a "school" nor a "festival".  We gather together and learn from each other.  The following is an excerpt from the "What We Do" page on our web site (http://www.nonce.dk/SSI/), but there's much more information on the web site, so please read through at least the first couple of pages if you haven't already done so.

Our concept is an informal and relaxed weekend where both expert and less-experienced squeezers can exchange tunes, techniques, and other knowledge, or just enjoy playing together.

There are no designated instructors or "performers". Instead, when everyone gathers on Friday evening we will compose a workshop schedule depending on what the participants want to learn and who has expertise to share. Example themes could include techniques for song accompaniment, comparing the advantages of various melodeon and anglo layouts, regional Swedish folk tunes, hints for beginners, chords and harmonies, Irish on the English, instrument repair, or anything else that interests us.

I'm still waiting for some folks' replies/decisions, but the instruments played by the folks that have already booked include anglo and English concertinas, various melodeons (known as durspel in Swedish), possibly a bandonion, and various non-squeezeboxes (whistles, mandolin, maybe a string bass...).

For anyone with further questions, in addition to the contact information on our web site, I now intend to log in here every day.

Jim Lucas

Scandinavian Squeeze-In 2017
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 09:41:13 PM »

Just realized that this event wasn't in the Calendar.  Now it is, but I don't know how to link to the earlier thread about this event started in News and Events by Chris Ryall.  So please look for that one.

Or just view our web site at http://www.nonce.dk/SSI/

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 09:59:40 PM »

Topics merged (:)
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal