Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Shrewsbury Folk Festival 2017  (Read 7338 times)

george garside

Shrewsbury Folk Festival 2017
« on: April 08, 2017, 10:02:23 PM »

Early warning! I have been asked to run the melodeon workshops at this years Shrewsbury Festival..(August Bank Holiday Weekend ) .

As far as I know there will be 5 workshops catering for beginners and improvers/advanced(ish) or whatever category you wish to nominate yourself for!

not sure if these will be progressive or all 'one offs' but all being well I will try to fall in line with  the format used in previous years.

All 5  workshops will be DG specific!

George.   
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
Re: Shrewsbury Folk Festival 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 10:02:04 PM »

Hi George. Thanks for the heads-up. I've become a regular at SFF and went to Mel Biggs' melodeon workshops in 2015 and 2016. Despite having owned a melodeon for coming up to 2 years I class myself as only slightly beyond beginner, so if your workshops are progressive and start at the beginner level I'll come along to as many as I can until I get totally out of my depth. Advance notice of the tunes you will be teaching would assist me hang in for longer. Cheers, David

Mr Happy

• Regular debater
  • Delicia D/G, Saltarelle ADG, Hohner Corona ADG
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 12:28:17 AM »

Hi George!

I'm on the setup team again this year,  so will be there for about 12 days in all.

Hopefully can get along to some of your seshes.

Maybe see you this w/end at our Easter do up Denbigh Moors

george garside

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 10:01:08 AM »

Hi George. Thanks for the heads-up. I've become a regular at SFF and went to Mel Biggs' melodeon workshops in 2015 and 2016. Despite having owned a melodeon for coming up to 2 years I class myself as only slightly beyond beginner, so if your workshops are progressive and start at the beginner level I'll come along to as many as I can until I get totally out of my depth. Advance notice of the tunes you will be teaching would assist me hang in for longer. Cheers, David

Will probably be progressive  with 2 for beginners (i.e. starting from square one!)  and t'other 3  being intermediate or something like that  in which I will probably put the emphasis on technique.  I will use fairly well known tunes as a 'vehicle' to  teach techniques that can then be used to improve the way  many tunes are played rather than trying to teach more complicated tunes in such a short space of time. 

However I am still ion consultation with the 'powers that be'  but what may be billed as melodeon sessions will definitely be workshops and the detail will be adjusted on the hoof depending on the experience  or otherwise of those attending.

hope this helps

george

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 06:53:19 PM »

"Will probably be progressive  with 2 for beginners (i.e. starting from square one!)  and t'other 3  being intermediate or something like that  in which I will probably put the emphasis on technique.  I will use fairly well known tunes as a 'vehicle' to  teach techniques that can then be used to improve the way  many tunes are played rather than trying to teach more complicated tunes in such a short space of time."

Hi George. This sounds perfect (and very similar to Mel's workshops last year). I'll probably join you right at the beginning and hang in there for as many as I can manage.
Cheers, David

george garside

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 11:09:28 AM »

The way I will structure the workshops  will be so that beginners will not be left out at any stage and in the 'intermediate -ish'' workshops they will be able to get an idea of techniques that will come in useful  in the future progression of the learning process.

george

Tony Smith

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 07:54:14 AM »

Just booked and am looking forward to the workshops.    If you are able to provide details of the tunes you will use, that would be great - I am better with dots!  Tony

george garside

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 10:05:43 AM »

dots  will be provided for those who prefer them  . Button numbers and push/pull  indication will also be provided for  non dotists. The 'handouts' will be in exactly the same format as those I used for many years at Whitby and Sidmouth.

I always work on the basis that 'beginners'  don't know anything about the box or the playing thereof so nobody gets left out! 
 The so called 'intermediate' workshops will use simple well known tunes  as a 'vehicle'  for learning/improving techniques that can then be applied as required to lots of other tunes.  They will not be about learning a couple of new (to some) tunes  as a whole workshop could be wasted learning the basics of a 'new' tune  without adding worthwhile  and sometimes much needed ''transferable techniques.''

george :||: :|||: :|glug

Peter G

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Pokerwork, Castagnari Tommy
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 08:43:39 PM »

I was just thinking out booking for Shrewsbury Decision made then Look forward to catching up with fellow melnetters. Good idea to use popular tunes As a barely intermediate I find having to learn a new tune detracts from my ability to learn more important things How exciting :||:

george garside

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 10:03:09 AM »

many years ago at Sidmouth I decided to go along to an Irish trad 'ornamentation'  workshop run by an extremely good ceilidh band leader.
There were 50 + participants and he dished out sheets of the dots which were of no help to the majority them being earists!

He then spent all of his allotted hour or so trying to teach us a tune  most of us had never heard of  and not only did that fail miserably but we didn't get anywhere near  to 'ornementation' !

That taught me a valuable lesson 
george

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:14:17 AM by george garside »

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 04:44:41 PM »

dots  will be provided for those who prefer them  . Button numbers and push/pull  indication will also be provided for  non dotists. The 'handouts' will be in exactly the same format as those I used for many years at Whitby and Sidmouth.''

george :||: :|||: :|glug

Please would you share the dots before the festival starts so that those of us who use different button numbering can annotate them in advance? If possible I would like them in July as I will be travelling for the whole of August (starting with Sidmouth FF).
Thanks, David

george garside

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 08:17:57 PM »

David, the workshop is arranged by 'tuneworks'  and the tuneworks tunebook downloadable for free on t'internet.  I havn't yet decided which of their tunes I will use and whether or not to use some that are not in their book . However for beginners I will more than likely use rattling bog & winster gallop. where I go from there will depend very much on the degree of experience or inexperience of participants.

For the intermediate/advanced or whatever workshops  I prefer to take a straw poll to try to find  a tune or tunes that most participants can at least bash out in some fashion  and then where possible to use a few of those as vehicles for teaching techniques that can then be applied as desired to many other tunes.

As far as your box using ?different numbering I presume you are referring to 3rd or 4th button start.  My material works equaly well for either

From what I have been told  the 5 workshops have in the past worked as a sort of contunum  with a selection of skill levels participating in both beginners and intermediate workshops rather than the more common  complete separation of the two into different workshops.   I intend to continue the format as in previous years  but will have to  make some decisions 'on the hoof'  for each workshop to enable as many participants as possible to benefit

hope this helps

george

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 10:04:05 AM »

Hi George. Thanks for this helpful update. I already have a copy of the Tuneworks book from previous visits to Shrewsbury FF so will bring this along. And I will annotate Rattling Bog and Winster Gallop according to the numbering system I use.
My box is a fourth button start, but the real difference is that I started with Ed Rennie's numbering system which I find very logical (each button has a unique single number) and so am continuing to use it - until I am able to relate dots on a score directly to buttons.
Looking forward to your workshops. David

Tony Smith

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 06:31:24 PM »

Does anyone know if there will be a melodeon stand at Shrewsbury this year.  Looking to spend........

Tony

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 06:56:43 PM »

There wasn't much last year (as far as I recall...)I suppose Hobgoblin might have a stall, but whether there'll be many boxes is another matter.
Sidmouth is so much better for instrument stalls etc.

J
Old Bones Dance Band

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 08:08:15 PM »

I'm only 20 miles away in Welshpool.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Tony Smith

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 09:44:16 PM »

Rees

Are you visitable if I want to try some boxes out?

Tony

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 11:35:01 PM »

You are welcome to visit my workshop at any time by appointment.
Address and phone details on my website at www.melodeons.com
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

george garside

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 10:27:28 AM »

there is already a thread on here with 900 looks entitled Shrewsbury folk festival in which I will be doing a series  of 5 DG melodeon workshops for various levels.  I now have a bit more detail on timings. 2 sat morning, 2 sunday morning and one Monday morning.

I have been informed that Black Diamond will have a stall with a veriety of boxes .

Both the festival website and 'tuneworks' website  should have more info.

george

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 11:27:20 AM »

[[ADMIN]]

Topics merged and 2017 added to title to avoid confusion with other years.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal