Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Shrewsbury Folk Festival 2017  (Read 7336 times)

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
Re: Shrewsbury Folk Festival 2017
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 12:14:48 PM »

On a much sadder note The Festival website has announced the death of one of its co founders Alan Surtees "Following a short illness"

Many of us on here will have worked with him, others met him, and many more will have enjoyed the fruits of his dedication to promoting the best in folk music in Shropshire.

The festival will go ahead as planned...Alan would have wanted nothing less

Thanks for the good times lad  :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 01:09:10 PM »

Sad news indeed.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

george garside

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2017, 11:50:47 PM »

in the workshops I will not be concentrating on teaching new tunes but will use what I hope are very well known tunes as 'vehicles'  to teach techniques  that can be applied to many tunes.

if anyone wants to have a go at that diabolical contraption the   BCC# I will be happy to arrange an informal , outside the scheduled workshops,  informal introduction to the system

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Myndmusic

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 04:59:59 PM »

George, will your workshops be relevant for a BC player, or really just aimed at D/G?

(I know SFF tried out a dedicated BC workshop a few years ago but there was not enough demand to repeat it.)
Steve R
Castagnari Dinn III B/C

george garside

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 09:50:20 PM »

definitely DG specific  .however you are welcome to come along and 'sit in' at the back,and  where  possible join in on your BC playing in the keys of D & G. but you will be on your own as far as ' workshop tuition' goes as that will be aimed entirely at DG players .

george

george garside

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 10:06:20 AM »

full programme now online including workshops

george

george garside

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 02:41:43 PM »

Is anyone on here going to Shrewsbury  this year  . My workshops will , I am told, be in the beer tent , and I will be camping somewhere in a fleurette pop top caravan if anyone wants to chat!

george

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 02:35:24 PM »

I will be there, George. Hope we bump into each other. You say your workshops are aimed at various levels - do you mean they are progressive?
Steve from Wakefield

george garside

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2017, 07:32:47 PM »

the first two will be aimed at beginners and will cover the basics and act as a refresher for 'improvers' .They will also make sure everybody can play (ish) 2 or 3 well known tunes that will be used in the later workshops   . this will require a bit of management on the hoof so to speak  as if only a very small number are genuine beginners I may move on a bit faster.  the next two will concentrate on  technique rather than tune learning  and the final one on Monday  will move on to a higher level

So yes basically they will be progressive 

george

richard.fleming

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 07:46:24 AM »

Are there any sessions anywhere during the festival?
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 08:11:46 AM »

There are normally organised lunchtime sessions in a couple of pubs in town, as well as in the bars on site. Frequently impromptu sessions as well. I'm a Shrewsbury resident so I'll post more info when back from Sidmouth...

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Julian S

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 04:53:23 PM »

Session update as programme arrived to cheer me up on return from Sid !(Not that I need much cheering up what with the new Leveret cd 'Inventions' to enjoy !)
Friday - evening English session in onsite indoor bar, in town Celtic/ceilidh session at Britannia Inn, music and song session at Wheatsheaf High St
Sat. Lunchtime English session at Wheatsheaf, Celtic/ceilidh at Britannia, evening Irish session from 8 in beertent, English session from 9 in indoor bar.
Sun. Lunchtime English session at Wheatsheaf, mixed song/music at Britannia. Evening Irish and English sessions as per Sat.
Mon. Lunchtime English session in indoor bar on site - and a Sunday evening 'mother of all sessions' in the bar... :|glug
I see that there are also a couple of Tuneworks introductory Welsh tune sessions - and there are impromptu sessions as well of course - a few of us locals got together to play French and Breton for a while last year (anyone else interested ?)
Hopefully I haven't missed anything from my quick browse through the packed programme.
J

Old Bones Dance Band

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2017, 05:08:40 PM »

Is anyone on here going to Shrewsbury  this year  . My workshops will , I am told, be in the beer tent , and I will be camping somewhere in a fleurette pop top caravan if anyone wants to chat!

george
Hi George. I'll be there, probably in Campsite 2 in our Eriba caravan. Looking forward to joining you for workshop 1 and seeing how far I get. Cheers, David

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2017, 10:03:33 PM »

I see that there are also a couple of Tuneworks introductory Welsh tune sessions - and there are impromptu sessions as well of course - a few of us locals got together to play French and Breton for a while last year (anyone else interested ?)
Hopefully I haven't missed anything from my quick browse through the packed programme.
J
What time are you meeting, Julian. I'll participate (a bit more) than last year!

summerstars

• Respected Sage
    • UK Surnames Genealogy Contact Site
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2017, 10:12:44 AM »

J
What time are you meeting, Julian. I'll participate (a bit more) than last year!

I too would be interested in a French / continental session if I can fit it in around stewarding duties
Dino Binci D/G, Sandpiper 3v D/G, Sandpiper C/F, Hohner Bb/Eb, Pariselle 1 Row in D, Streb

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »

george

I'll attend your workshops, George. 

Tony Smith

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2017, 07:01:12 PM »

I'll be there as well.  Looking forward to it - a SFF first timer......  coming with family (2 kids).  We are all excited.  Any tips from experienced SFFers?

Tony

Julian S

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2017, 07:34:50 PM »

I'll be there as well.  Looking forward to it - a SFF first timer......  coming with family (2 kids).  We are all excited.  Any tips from experienced SFFers?

Tony

Preplanning is a good idea - hopefully you've got your programme in advance. Children and teens prog is good. Be aware, queues - partic for biggest tent start early, but there is rarely a capacity problem. Bring warm clothes - evenings are often cold. Shrews town is a bit of a walk but there is a festival bus during the day. Imho facilities on site are pretty good ! - though we are locals so normally don't camp.
Enjoy !

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Tony Smith

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2017, 07:19:19 AM »

Thanks Julian - should be fun.

T

Julian S

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2017, 11:50:35 PM »

Informal French, Breton (and other Euro) session anyone ? From 6pm on Sunday in the Berwick Pavilion bar on site -( if too much competition could migrate outside where there's a nice lawn to dance on as well!)

J
Old Bones Dance Band
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal