Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to play the shenanigan?  (Read 2440 times)

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
How to play the shenanigan?
« on: April 09, 2017, 10:30:48 PM »

Not sure if it's strictly a free-reed instrument ... not sure how it works at all, but it seems great for folk stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORO1FcEqBV8&list=PL5Um7IgR_gBkYl_TIbLr4qWY0ekO1Qnbi&index=2

Anyone play one?
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Re: How to play the shenanigan?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 12:32:57 AM »

Bloody good stuff!  I don't  8)
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 01:08:58 AM »

Not entirely free reeds in the Twangulum Positiv department John, more lightly restrained (and similar in operation to your recent excursion into pizzicato accompanyment?) otherwise I suspect most of the audio is more related to the tuned Tesla Coil, capable of electrifying performance but a bit empty tonally  ;)

I prefer the true analogue sound of ancient instruments or their carefully researched reconstructions, such as those used to such grate effect by Peter Schickle to recreate the true impact of the unparalelled music of PDQ Bach, who reached parts his father never dared approach. This chap on YewTube is a sort of LuthFlutandTootier https://www.youtube.com/user/bellowphone/undefined - the Bellowphone strikes me (mobility aside) as the wind equivalent of the Gurdy and this Basso / Drone attachment really catches the sound of the era - I can just hear it accompanying the sound of Nigel Eaton, actually the harder I listen the more it sounds like Mr Eaton's feet departing at speed. ;D

Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 01:33:58 AM »

OTOH this does not look a cheap instrument (slightly more restrained reeds!) and has a very nice sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3b1bz_9gEo
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Grape Ape

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 09:54:40 PM »

I will never stop loving that Shenanigan video.  The absolute absurdity of it all, the language of gibberish he created, the thing itself whether it plays or not, and the blood.  It is so excellent to me that there are people out there who find the time to do things like this- so utterly useless on every level were it not for those like me who appreciate it, and what must be one heck of a sense of personal accomplishment for those who pull things like this off.  What inspired this man? Who knows, but I for one am in awe.

These other videos of made up instruments that (actually) work are some of my other favorites as well.  I can never get enough of them and marvel at the amount of work that must have gone into them.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:57:06 PM by Grape Ape »

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 12:24:03 AM »

The guy who did it is called Grieg Johnson and he's a bloody comedy genius ... granted - most of his stuff is very much British in-jokes so I can see how his other stuff might not travel well.  He did it on YouTube only and it really hasn't taken off (some of my TOTM videos have more views) ... life's not fair!

The series he put up is called Browzer and his ones on unboxing, sound engineering and pronunciation of the sound "th" in English are side-splitting for me!
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 08:29:30 AM »

The guy who did it is called Grieg Johnson and he's a bloody comedy genius ... granted - most of his stuff is very much British in-jokes so I can see how his other stuff might not travel well.  He did it on YouTube only and it really hasn't taken off (some of my TOTM videos have more views) ... life's not fair!

The series he put up is called Browzer and his ones on unboxing, sound engineering and pronunciation of the sound "th" in English are side-splitting for me!

It's great when you stumble across someone like him on YouTube. I watched all his videos and I agree that the Sound Engineer one is well observed...I love unhinged humour...
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Katie Howson

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 10:51:14 AM »

Heehee, very good, I look forward to watching some of the others too.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »

He really should be more famous than he is. A very clever fella.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal