Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner Identity  (Read 2569 times)

Don Bergland

Hohner Identity
« on: April 13, 2017, 05:18:05 PM »

I'm wondering if someone can help me identify this Hohner. It is a two-row C/F with 12 bass buttons. It has a long bar for the bellows release button (see photo 02 ). Beautiful treble tone and highly substantial bass sound.

Thanks
Don

triskel

Re: Hohner Identity
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 06:27:00 PM »

It's from the mid-to-late 1920s. I might be able to give you a model number when I get home, but I'm waiting for a flight at the moment.

Don Bergland

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 08:02:52 PM »

It's from the mid-to-late 1920s. I might be able to give you a model number when I get home, but I'm waiting for a flight at the moment.

I appreciate any access to your wisdom. Have a good flight!

Thanks
Don

tom f

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 09:14:27 PM »

Lovely looking box.  Is the air bar a later addition?

Don Bergland

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 10:23:46 PM »

Lovely looking box.  Is the air bar a later addition?

From what I can detect, it appears to be original to the unit. I know nothing about this box. I took my own Hohner into my local dealer for some tuning, and he loaned me this Hohner to use until mine was repaired. I'm getting a little attached to this one - very solid feeling unit, wonderful dynamics and very emphatic bass sound. Now, I'm wondering whether I should just purchase it.

Thanks
Don

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 11:21:22 PM »

Go on - you know you really want to ....  >:E
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

triskel

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 10:52:11 PM »

I'm wondering if someone can help me identify this Hohner. ... It has a long bar for the bellows release button (see photo 02 ).

Now I'm home, and have had time to look it up, I can see that the 8-bass version of these, shown in both the 1926 and 1929 editions of How to play a Hohner Accordion, "No. 374. Genuine steel reed Hohner Accordion, Stradella Model. ... Frames, panels and keyboard in dark mahogany finish with decalcomania border in mosaic design. Stradella corners" is different in that it has Stradella-style hooks holding the ends and bellows together, unlike the one in question which is pinned.

However, Catalogue No. 700 (that I'd date to 1929-30) illustrates the exact same style as this one (in 8-bass) as No. 384/21/8, with "finest American Jacaranda wood casing with maple and ebony inlays. ... Stradella corners, fretwork cover and frames with imitation mother of pearl inlay." Whilst the 12-bass version (like you're asking about) is not illustrated, but listed as No. 385/21/12.

Also, some other models in the same catalogue show the same, or similar, gilt Hohner transfers with the twin anchors (trade mark), and the long bar-type wind key on models with 12 or more basses.

Don Bergland

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 02:39:08 AM »

Now I'm home, and have had time to look it up, ...it is listed as No. 385/21/12.

Wow! I'm impressed with your ability to access such arcane historical resources. This basically provides me with the information I need at the moment. I really appreciate your help in identifying this Hohner. Have you seen many of these around?
Thanks
Don

triskel

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 01:27:36 PM »

Wow! I'm impressed with your ability to access such arcane historical resources.

It's what I've been collecting old accordion catalogues for, for many years, especially Hohner and Paolo Soprani ones.

Have you seen many of these around?

Only on the internet. Most of Hohner's exports seem to have been to the USA up until the end of the 1920s, and we'd see mostly models from the 1930s onwards.

hspeek

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 10:06:30 PM »

Hi,

Not identical, but clearly related. Unfortunately the reeds are in a pretty bad shape as someone tried to alter the system, from a C/C# to ? ? ?  The air bar is interesting, as it has to be pushed forward, not inwards.

Rgds.,

Han.

Michael Driscoll

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 08:03:57 AM »

triskel,

i also seem to have developed an interest in Paolo Soprani & Hohner and have learned from you over the years. hopefully many more. hspeek also!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:07:10 AM by Michael Driscoll »

Don Bergland

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 12:35:03 PM »

The air bar is interesting, as it has to be pushed forward, not inwards.

The air bar on the unit I'm working with at the moment is the same. You have to push the bar forward. I'm actually finding the use of this rather cumbersome and difficult. I hope my facility with this improves with practice.

Thanks
Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal