Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week UK 19th to 25th August 2017  (Read 35433 times)

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
Whitby Folk Week UK 19th to 25th August 2017
« on: April 15, 2017, 02:00:20 PM »

:||: Whitby Folk Week  http://whitbyfolk.co.uk/node/16  on the bracing North Yorkshire Coast  ;D lots of music and dance, melodeon friendly sessions  :||: Morris men  :M and beer  :|glug
 The first few days coincide with the 176th Whitby Regatta  http://whitbyregatta.co.uk/  so there will be plenty of yacht racing, sea rowing etc. to watch and the wonderful Monday night firework display to keep non folkie family members happy.
 Will post useful info. bus times, Dr's , Vets etc nearer the date  ;D
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
Re: Whitby Folk Week UK 19th to 25th August 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 11:18:20 PM »

Yeehoo! Counting the days, Ann!

Chris B.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 11:33:26 PM »

;D I see that Steve Dumpleton of this parish is on the list of workshop leaders for this year  :||: :||:   Definitely worth going to, his workshops last year were great  ;D

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 12:41:25 PM »

Do you know when a provisional/working programme is likely to appear on the website?
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

benammiswift

• Regular debater
  • Squeezing for Derbyshire
    • benammiswift.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 01:22:27 PM »

I'm there for one day with the National Youth Folk Ensemble. Well Well Well worth your time to come and see us. The show is brill.

And there's me in it for your nerdy melodeon needs haha

Benammi
Castagnari Handry 18

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 01:29:46 PM »

I'm in Isère at the weekend but hope to pedal up for the Tuesday - though I'll miss t' Regatta ;)

They never seem to publish a programme - extra money is made selling that.  An 'app' was available, but I bought it last year and was very disappointed.  Tiny, tiny script on a field of blank space and no functionality above reading the paper version. Had it even been a PDF ... I could at least have mag'd it up! No updates for late arranged events either so it got  -ve reviews chez moi.

Flat session?
  _       _    _      _ 

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 02:19:09 PM »

Do you know when a provisional/working programme is likely to appear on the website?

(:)  I know someone who may be able to find out, will ask and see what she can discover.

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 02:42:49 PM »

Someone else will have to organize the flat session, we couldn't find any affordable accommodation this year.

Their attitude to the programme is nuts.  Not only do they put people off by making no details of the current year available, they don't make previous years' programmes available either - if you could see that you'd know what kind of an event it was.  (If that had been done, we'd have gone ten years sooner than we eventually did; not knowing anyone who'd been and living 200 miles away, we had no idea if it was going to be any good).  They seem to have decided they don't want any new customers and instead will just screw every penny out of people who've been going for years.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 02:50:25 PM by Jack Campin »
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 03:41:59 PM »

Their attitude to the programme is nuts.  Not only do they put people off by making no details of the current year available, they don't make previous years' programmes available either - if you could see that you'd know what kind of an event it was. 

I agree completely, Saltburn Folk Festival 11th-13th August http://www.cuttywrenfolkclub.talktalk.net/SaltburnFF/index.htm , not far up the coast from Whitby manages to get it's programme on line and updated/revised regularly so you can see where, when and who will be performing and plan accordingly.
 As soon as the Whitby programmes are on sale I'll get one and post a potted list of melodeon friendly events  :||:

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 08:23:21 AM »

;D I see that Steve Dumpleton of this parish is on the list of workshop leaders for this year  :||: :||:   Definitely worth going to, his workshops last year were great  ;D
Thanks Ann!
The Whitby organisers haven't yet informed me of what workshops they want me to teach. I expect that will be a good few weeks down the line...
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 08:59:34 AM »

Thanks Ann!
The Whitby organisers haven't yet informed me of what workshops they want me to teach. I expect that will be a good few weeks down the line...

Or after you get to Whitby.......
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 09:13:44 AM »

Thanks Ann!

Or after you get to Whitby.......
Yes - that has happened before.  :o
These days I badger them to let me know before the beginning of August at least.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »

I've already badgered them about what they want me to do. Details are sketchy, but it seems as though I'll be running two Well Known Tunes at a Steady Pace structured sessions and a workshop on Tunes from the Yorkshire Dales.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 10:51:57 AM »

I'll be there both with Phoenix and with Dearman, Gammon & Harrison. Phoenix will be playing concert spots midweek. DG&H will be singing and playing (melodeons, concertinas & banjos) concert spots and probably session hosting at various times in the week. I may also be doing a moothie drop-in.
Cheers
Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 11:16:28 AM »

Wot, no Jew's Harp?   >:E

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 11:40:57 AM »

Wot, no Jew's Harp?   >:E

SJ
Oops - sorry John. Yes, Annie will indeed be making mighty sounds from Jew's harps!
Thanks for reminding me......
Cheers
Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 11:43:08 AM »

I have visions of Annie, Johnny Handle, and Dave Goulder playing as a trio.

JS
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »

Lack of early indications of the programme meant I've booked elsewhere between Sidmouth and Shrewsbury Folk Festivals but I'll study the 2017 programme when it is published to give me an idea about what might happen in 2018. Hopefully there will be plenty of workshops as well as concerts.

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 05:24:43 PM »

Their attitude to the programme is nuts.  Not only do they put people off by making no details of the current year available, they don't make previous years' programmes available either - if you could see that you'd know what kind of an event it was. 
Think some of the comments re organisation of Whitby are slightly unfair . especially the "  They seem to have decided they don't want any new customers and instead will just screw every penny out of people who've been going for years" .
Yes it would be good to get an earlier idea of the programme , but as far a rough idea of what goes on it doesn't change all that much from year to year - you know what to expect and you can see the artists who have booked.   
Paul
Location NE Fife

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 05:33:22 PM »

as far a rough idea of what goes on it doesn't change all that much from year to year

If you've never seen ANY copy of the programme (as I hadn't until I first went), how does that help?

I have still seen no copies of the programme outside the festival, for any year, except ones I've bought myself.  And no copy on the web.  How hard can it be to upload a PDF to archive.org?
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal