Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week UK 19th to 25th August 2017  (Read 35419 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Whitby Folk Week UK 19th to 25th August 2017
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2017, 06:25:00 PM »

I have still seen no copies of the programme outside the festival, for any year, except ones I've bought myself.  And no copy on the web.  How hard can it be to upload a PDF to archive.org?
Not hard at all, but I'm sure it is deliberate policy on the part of WFW organisers not to make the programme available on-line, in order to maximise their sales of the printed version.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 06:47:54 PM »

If not publishing the programme anywhere electronically is deliberate policy i think it will deter new visitors. I would certainly be reluctant to include Whitby is my summer caravan tour if I've no idea what might be on offer. There are plenty of other festivals that do share their programmes for previous years and in advance each year.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 07:16:02 PM »

It's not that they don't publish a programme, but you have to pay for it.  I'ts the size of a small book so quite understandable imho. Also available last year as a mobile app, and I'll be surprised if the app doesn't continue with new content for this year.  There are nearly 600 indvdual events in last years programme so it's on a different scale than most other festivals.  The app is also handy because you get updates on changes to the programme, which can be very helpful if a venue changes, or an event has to be cancelled, or an extra event gets added. I found the app very useful.

They do publish a list of artists, here http://whitbyfolk.co.uk/Artists
And it looks as if they are developing a filter so you can see who is on each day.  That's new.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 07:19:35 PM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 07:40:21 PM »

Them's my thoughts too Theo, I found the app really useful last year, and as you said, if you want to go see a particular act, then you know if they're booked, in advance.
The other thing you know is that whatever you desperately want to see, will clash with something else you really want to see.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 08:26:27 PM »

An app has the great advantage that you can get the money up-front before finishing it, and then supply the bulk of the content as updates.  It can also include hyperlinks to performers' own promos - people are going to look for that anyway, you might as well make it easy.

Anybody who thinks a download is going to compete with the printed brochure is delusional.  Who would want to carry around a home-printed pile of paper that big?
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 10:23:59 AM »

It's not that they don't publish a programme, but you have to pay for it.  I'ts the size of a small book so quite understandable imho. Also available last year as a mobile app, and I'll be surprised if the app doesn't continue with new content for this year.  There are nearly 600 indvdual events in last years programme so it's on a different scale than most other festivals.  The app is also handy because you get updates on changes to the programme, which can be very helpful if a venue changes, or an event has to be cancelled, or an extra event gets added. I found the app very useful.

They do publish a list of artists, here http://whitbyfolk.co.uk/Artists
And it looks as if they are developing a filter so you can see who is on each day.  That's new.
Thanks Theo. The app sounds very useful. And thanks for the URL of the list of artists. It's too late for this year, but I'll check the website to see what information is available when I'm planning my summer trip for 2018. Cheers, David

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »

If not publishing the programme anywhere electronically is deliberate policy i think it will deter new visitors. I would certainly be reluctant to include Whitby is my summer caravan tour if I've no idea what might be on offer. There are plenty of other festivals that do share their programmes for previous years and in advance each year.
Just to pick up your point David, I wouldn't let the absence of an advance programme put you off. It is a great festival. I have been a few times now and broadly agree with Theo's point. I think the sheer number of events and venues on offer is part of what distinguishes Whitby from others. I initially found it annoying too that the programme could not be seen in advance and it can be tempting to think "they" don't want new people to come. I am sure that isn't the case, it is just a decision on how you are going to raise your funds and they have decided  the two small books you get are to raise funds by purchase. And I am so glad they are in book form as I don't have a smart phone!
I first went to Whitby because so many Sheffield folkies recommended it. As I got to know more how it works I like the way you can make it fit to your requirements and I have enjoyed going. It is in my view a real players' festival. I would therefore recommend trying a couple of days or see what it is like. Don't buy a ticket, but buy a programme and pay for what you want to go to, as well as go to the many free/contribution events like sessions which are all over the town.
M

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 02:04:32 PM »

Just tried to install the app to my phone and I get "This app is incompatible with all of your devices." I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge running Android 7 (Nougat). Being a newer device I did not think compatibility would be an issue.

Stephen
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 02:45:55 PM »

I know the developer of the Whitby app.  I will suggest he takes a look at this thread.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 03:16:34 PM »

Please.  OK I'm over 60, but I couldn't read the text on it, even with my reading glasses on. Crapp.
  _       _    _      _ 

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »

I'm nearer 70 than 60 and have no difficulty yet reading the app text, by I can appreciate that an option to enlarge text would be helpful for many.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 05:24:54 PM »

Just tried to install the app to my phone and I get "This app is incompatible with all of your devices." I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge running Android 7 (Nougat). Being a newer device I did not think compatibility would be an issue.

Stephen

Running the same phone, no problems whatsoever. In fact I still have it on the phone now.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 06:34:42 PM »

I first went to Whitby because so many Sheffield folkies recommended it. As I got to know more how it works I like the way you can make it fit to your requirements and I have enjoyed going. It is in my view a real players' festival. I would therefore recommend trying a couple of days or see what it is like. Don't buy a ticket, but buy a programme and pay for what you want to go to, as well as go to the many free/contribution events like sessions which are all over the town.
M
[/quote]
Thanks for this practical advice/suggestion Mike. We've been going to Sidmouth and Shrewsbury for a few years now and they've become fixed points in our summer trip. Whitby is some way from the direct route between them but trying a couple of days there would be an excellent taster.
We like Sidmouth for the many and varied workshops on offer; I'm getting the impression Whitby is similar. Please would anyone that has been to both advise?
Cheers, David

Howard Jones

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2017, 07:39:48 PM »

As I got to know more how it works I like the way you can make it fit to your requirements and I have enjoyed going.

I think getting to know how it works is the crux of it. This probably applies to all big festivals, but I think regular visitors, and perhaps the organisers, underestimate how difficult it is for a newcomer to Whitby to get to grips with it. After several visits I still don't know where to find sessions, and even the 'official' ones in the programme give no information about the style of music to expect, you have to know who is running them to try to get a clue. 

Perhaps it doesn't help that I don't seem to know many people there to tap into a grapevine, and that I'm usually only there for a few days. The lack of information online makes it impossible to plan my limited time there in advance, so I seem to waste a lot of it. I usually spend more time dragging instruments around town in a usually fruitless search for a session than I do playing. It's probably me, but the lack of detailed information certainly doesn't help.

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2017, 07:54:08 PM »

Hi
I can understand a lot of peoples frustration but I suggest they are only seeing things from their own personal view,organising a festival of this size is a nightmare logistically and if something doesn't fit with social media then all hell breaks loose.  I wouldn't do it.

Re new people coming to the festival,I will have a stall again this year in the Leisure Centre,  any one wants info I will be glad to help,or point people in the direction of someone who can

My stall isn't hard to find,it was the noisiest stall in the place last year according to the organisers

Pete
Acorn Instruments
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2017, 08:22:53 PM »

[. After several visits I still don't know where to find sessions, and even the 'official' ones in the programme give no information about the style of music to expect, you have to know who is running them to try to get a clue. 

It is hard finding an unofficial session you like due to the crowds present , but it isn't hard to work out the nature off the "official sessions" -  I think if you see that Phoenix ,  Vic Gammon , or Dan Quinn  are hosting a session then you've got a pretty good idea of what you'll get by looking at the programme - if not by prior knowledge.
Paul
Location NE Fife

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2017, 08:26:38 PM »

As far as finding sessions goes there are probably more ad hoc sessions than there are official sessions that are part of the festival programme, they come and go as people meet and get together.  The one that is pretty much always on every evening is evenings in the Elsinore.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2017, 11:18:38 PM »

I find the comparison between Sidmouth and Whitby interesting. Both are of similar duration and have a huge programme with a wide variety of events. Sidmouth publishes its programme on line; Whitby doesn't. Sidmouth's organisation is slick; Whitby's is less so. Sidmouth rarely clashes with a big regatta; Whitby frequently does. All of this ought to mean that Sidmouth is the better festival but, for some reason that I can't fathom, I don't think there is much to choose between them. Both festivals provide a really enjoyable experience and I would be loathe to miss either of them.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2017, 11:46:36 PM »

I find the comparison between Sidmouth and Whitby interesting. Both are of similar duration and have a huge programme with a wide variety of events. Sidmouth publishes its programme on line; Whitby doesn't. Sidmouth's organisation is slick; Whitby's is less so. Sidmouth rarely clashes with a big regatta; Whitby frequently does. All of this ought to mean that Sidmouth is the better festival but, for some reason that I can't fathom, I don't think there is much to choose between them. Both festivals provide a really enjoyable experience and I would be loathe to miss either of them.
Thanks Bob, this is very interesting and useful, although I think it confirms that trying a few days at Whitby is the best way to start.
I came to your workshops at Sidmouth last year, are you doing some more this year? Cheers, David

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 01:24:53 AM »

Good points from everyone so far; generally speaking, Whitby is a great festival. My wife and I go most years and we love it. There is something for everyone just about all the time every day.

I would echo and agree with the point made about the official programme - it is huge and perhaps impractical to post on-line. Also you need to be aware that things change at the last minute for all sorts of reasons, and to try to cope with this, the organisers issue a daily (paper) news-sheet 'The Whitby Wailer' throughout the week containing updates and extra information.

Others have made observations about the various unofficial events, especially extra sessions, which spring up during the course of the week as folk meet up and decide to do things. The best way to find out about this is to talk to people - don't be shy. A quick trip to the Leisure Centre (where the craft and trade strands usually are held) and/or The Spa and festival office will place you in the midst of lots of people who will know stuff.

As to comparing Whitby with Sidmouth, as Bob has said there is little to choose between them. Both are great. It is a few years now since I was at Sidmouth and perhaps it has changed somewhat but it used to be more biased to being a dancers' festival whereas Whitby has always been more eclectic (and it has steam trains). (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal