Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week UK 19th to 25th August 2017  (Read 35418 times)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
Re: Whitby Folk Week UK 19th to 25th August 2017
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2017, 11:10:57 PM »

That's me!

Thanks,

Chris.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2017, 06:20:08 PM »

Our usual flat became unexpectedly available again. So we'll be there again this year!
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2017, 11:35:14 PM »

Due to a change of circumstances, it is highly unlikely that the Yacht Club will be available to host the Euro-sessions this year. This is sad news because for the last few years those of us who frequent the Whitby Euro-sessions have found the Yacht Club to be a friendly and welcoming venue with a relaxed atmosphere, a nice little dance floor and a good bar that serves food.

Chris Nash and myself have started the process of looking for an alternative venue, ideally one that could accommodate us between 3.00 and 5.00 p.m. with a bar and where dancing would be possible. We would also prefer one that wouldn't charge for use of the room, since those attending sessions do not expect to pay to attend unless it is on the Festival programme, which these sessions aren't. We have one or two ideas but these are either too far from the centre of town (e.g. the Rugby Club) or would charge (e.g. the Metropole).

I know there are some people on here with better knowledge of Whitby venues than either Chris or me, so I would be grateful for any suggestions about possible venues. Chris and I intend to visit Whitby later this month to check out the possibilities.

I also wonder whether we need to exclude venues that would charge for using the room. Do people feel that a charge of £2 or £3 per head per session would deter people from attending?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2017, 12:59:11 AM »

Due to a change of circumstances, it is highly unlikely that the Yacht Club will be available to host the Euro-sessions this year. This is sad news because for the last few years those of us who frequent the Whitby Euro-sessions have found the Yacht Club to be a friendly and welcoming venue with a relaxed atmosphere, a nice little dance floor and a good bar that serves food.
I also wonder whether we need to exclude venues that would charge for using the room. Do people feel that a charge of £2 or £3 per head per session would deter people from attending?

That's sad news indeed Bob. I hope you and Chris are able to find an alternative venue; thanks in advance for trying. Whitby Folk Week won't be the same without the Eurosession, so all best wishes for success.

More than happy to pay a charge per head per session, as indicated.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2017, 08:23:14 AM »

Royal Hotel on West Cliff?  It has been used occasionally by the festival.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2017, 10:08:47 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion, Theo. I'll add it to the list of places to check out when we go over to Whitby.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Jack Campin

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2017, 10:53:16 AM »

I'd be happy to pay that, too.

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2017, 12:35:42 PM »

As someone who came to it for the first time last year I would be happy to pay a small charge like this. What a great session it is! Please do all you can to keep it this year. Even somewhere without a bar would be ok if we knew in advance..
Mike

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2017, 12:48:55 PM »

And a completely off the wall suggestion - the auction sale room on Silver Street.  Been in there occasionally and there is lots of room, and never seems busy.  No bar of course!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Choonz

• Good talker
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2017, 01:10:55 PM »

I would be willing to pay a small charge.  I discovered it by accident last year but had to rush off to something else.  This time I am not buying a season ticket and intend to take things a bit more leisurely.   

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2017, 01:31:59 PM »

That's our family holiday week, unfortunately, but I'll be thinking of you all - making progress, meeting each other, trying instruments... oh well.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Jack Campin

« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »

Surely just about any family would find something in Whitby that would make for a holiday? Beach huts, Goths and vampires, vintage steam trains, sea fishing, kiss-me-quick hats...

Huw Adamson

• Good talker
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2017, 06:39:15 PM »

The favourite festival. In terms of Sidmouth vs. Whitby, Sidmouth of course has the disadvantage of not being in North Yorkshire. Incidentally where I first saw Moirai, a pity not to see them on this year's list of artists.
And the sharks they played melodeon

Myra Cassar

« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2017, 02:32:08 PM »

You could try The Resolution, on the corner above the Elsinore . They have a room upstairs.   Also, after regatta, upstairs in the Friendship rowing club in Church street.  M.

Jack Campin

« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2017, 03:21:33 PM »

The Eurosession used to meet there before we used the Yacht Club - they told us to bugger off (along with anybody else who looked suspiciously folkie).

If the Folk Week office is going to be in the Spa again, does that mean the room by the swimming pool will be free?

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2017, 03:42:25 PM »

I seem to remember that May was using it for teaching clogging etc.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2017, 03:58:10 PM »

The Eurosession used to meet there before we used the Yacht Club - they told us to bugger off (along with anybody else who looked suspiciously folkie).

If the Folk Week office is going to be in the Spa again, does that mean the room by the swimming pool will be free?

I seem to remember that May was using it for teaching clogging etc.
Yes - May Cheadle was teaching her clog workshops in there most days.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2017, 04:01:13 PM »

How about the Fishermen's Football Club? It has a bar and a large upstairs room. It's tucked away - quite hard to find - but it's up a gennel between the Whitby Catch and the Whitby tattoo and piercing shop on Haggersgate. Not sure if it will be an official Folk Week venue though.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Jack Campin

« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2017, 05:06:43 PM »

That was used for one event by the official Folk Week last year - huge space, it would be ideal.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2017, 07:52:21 PM »

Some more good ideas to add to the list and check out when we go to Whitby later this month. Thanks, guys. I had never heard of the Fisherman's Football Club, but it sounds to have potential if it is not in use at that time of day by the official festival.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal