Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week UK 19th to 25th August 2017  (Read 35416 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Re: Whitby Folk Week UK 19th to 25th August 2017
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2017, 11:43:47 AM »

The favourite festival. In terms of Sidmouth vs. Whitby, Sidmouth of course has the disadvantage of not being in North Yorkshire. Incidentally where I first saw Moirai, a pity not to see them on this year's list of artists.

...but Moirai will be at Sidmouth this year. >:E
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2017, 11:49:13 AM »

Chris Nash and I have compiled a list of possible venues for the Euro-sessions from suggestions made here and elsewhere and will check them out when we visit Whitby on 22/23 June. If anybody has any more suggestions, please let us know before then so we can add them to the list.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2017, 12:18:55 PM »

Having walked the length and breadth of Whitby for the last two days, often in pouring rain, we have finally found and booked a new venue for the Euro-sessions. It is The George Hotel on Baxtergate, and they are giving us their downstairs room free of charge from 3.00 to 5.00 pm every afternoon except Sunday, when it will be 4.00 - 6.00 pm. The hotel is enthusiastic about us using their facilities and there is sufficient space in the room they are providing for a bit of dancing.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2017, 02:44:36 PM »

Well done that man. I look forward to it.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2017, 03:05:45 PM »

Well done Bob!

Does that start on Saturday?

Have a tune to celebrate.  (it's in 18/8 and very fast but easier to play than it looks).
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2017, 03:22:53 PM »

Thanks, Jack. Yes it starts on Saturday 19th and there will be a session every afternoon until Friday 25th. All will be from 15.00 to 17.00 except for Sunday, when we have to give them extra time to clear up after their carvery lunch, which is served in that room. So, it will run from 16.00 to 18.00 on Sunday.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2017, 04:20:36 PM »

Well done, perfect location in the centre of town.
Did ask today if the programmes were out yet ........ maybe in another few weeks .... ::)
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2017, 08:07:43 PM »

Well done,Bob. Having legged to to try to set up a flat session in previous years I know how much work is involved. Thanks.
  _       _    _      _ 

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2017, 05:31:29 PM »

Is there any interest in having a Melnet meet again this year , and the now traditional melodeon session Thursday pm in the Elsinore , first hour flow and steady with pauses to chat ?
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2017, 06:48:02 PM »

It's absolutely mandatory

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2017, 01:44:16 PM »

Could the organisers … "organise" it a bit more. I'd particularly like a brief "introduce self" session, preferably after a few tunes  :|glug and a pint.

Previous years I've had little clue who many people were, and the room/ seating/ numbers aren't all that conducive to trying to getting even a brief chat with everyone?  :|glug

It'd also be nice if the organisers did something to encourage shyer members to lead a tune, (should they be willing).

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:46:44 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Jack Campin

« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »

Organizers? We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune!

How do you see that working? Round the room introductions take forever and never get more than a handful of names into people's heads.

Shall I try to set up the flat key session again?

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2017, 09:05:32 PM »

Personally, I have never found the melnet session in the Elsinore very appealing because we are squeezed in like sardines along with non-melnetters (and non-folkies) who also, not unreasonably, want to use the bar. Can I suggest we consider moving to other premises where we could guarantee a room to ourselves.

A pipe-dream, you might think, but I discovered just such a place when hunting around for a new venue for the Euro-sessions. The hotel I have in mind was unsuitable for the Euro-sessions because the floor is carpeted and so would not be suitable for dancing, but since melnet dancing is a rare beast, the venue might suit. It is located centrally on the Khyber Pass and can hold a maximum of 40. The owners were keen to have the Euro-sessions and offered the room free of charge, so I assume they would be prepared to accommodate a melnet session (or two) on the same basis. The room in question is a café that serves teas, coffees, cakes etc. Its alcohol license is only for private parties at the moment (but we might qualify) and, in any case, they are expecting to have a full license by Folk Week.

I don't want to hijack an event that Pikey organises but, since I have already had some encouraging discussions with them, I could make initial contact, if Pikey and others think this might be worth pursuing. As of last Thursday,
when I spoke to the proprietor, there were no events booked in there during Folk Week. This might be because the new owners only took over in April and people looking for venues haven't discovered it...yet!

Jack Campin

« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2017, 10:19:04 PM »

I don't see any harm in  trying that for the flat key session - Tuesday afternoon again, 1-3pm?  There was nothing much wrong with the Golden Lion though.

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,19157.msg233172.html

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2017, 07:10:15 AM »

Personally, I have never found the melnet session in the Elsinore very appealing because we are squeezed in like sardines along with non-melnetters (and non-folkies) who also, not unreasonably, want to use the bar. Can I suggest we consider moving to other premises where we could guarantee a room to ourselves.

Somewhere less cramped would be great, the Elsinore is a lovely venue but as Bob says does get very busy/squashed with people and instruments+cases. Trying another venue, especially if they're keen to have us could be a good move  ;D
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Scobarandbar

• Good talker
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2017, 03:38:15 PM »

Hi all

Having got my lovely Melodeon off Theo a while back I am going back to Whitby this year and am planning what to do Melodeon related.  I already play the mando but would like to know all the potential melodeon related activity and sessions that are at Whitby this year.  I see a few things have been mentioned in this thread already but wanted an overall  'melodeon picture'

I sat in at the back of Steve's workshops last year (before I had my Hohner) so would like to go to those and I also went to Bobs medium tempo session where everyone picked a tune which was great.  Could anyone advise me on other things melodeon related that may be of interest  as a player or to even sit in on? Keys don't matter for the sit in ones as I would still like to listen at the back. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jack Campin

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2017, 06:27:45 PM »

You'll find out quickly enough by getting the programme and asking around.  When will you get there?  Drop in to the Elsinore, the Eurosession or the Board on Saturday afternoon and somebody will be able to tell you.  (I'll be in the Elsinore, the Board or the Golden Lion on the Friday night - things often get started then).

Scobarandbar

• Good talker
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2017, 07:46:32 PM »

You'll find out quickly enough by getting the programme and asking around.  When will you get there?  Drop in to the Elsinore, the Eurosession or the Board on Saturday afternoon and somebody will be able to tell you.  (I'll be in the Elsinore, the Board or the Golden Lion on the Friday night - things often get started then).

Thanks Jack

Probably arrive on Friday night. The programme is massive and does take a bit of digging through when I went through it and other things seem to happen outwith the programme so that's why I was asking.  Incidentally Jack I am not far from you as I am in Perth.

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2017, 09:38:52 PM »

Hi all

Having got my lovely Melodeon off Theo a while back I am going back to Whitby this year and am planning what to do Melodeon related.  I already play the mando but would like to know all the potential melodeon related activity and sessions that are at Whitby this year.  I see a few things have been mentioned in this thread already but wanted an overall  'melodeon picture'

I sat in at the back of Steve's workshops last year (before I had my Hohner) so would like to go to those and I also went to Bobs medium tempo session where everyone picked a tune which was great.  Could anyone advise me on other things melodeon related that may be of interest  as a player or to even sit in on? Keys don't matter for the sit in ones as I would still like to listen at the back. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Phoenix (with Rod Stradling on melodeon) will be playing concert spots Tues to Thurs. It's very likely that they'll also be hosting a session, but I can't confirm as I haven't yet got our schedule.

Cheers
Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

Jack Campin

« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2017, 01:16:58 AM »

Publicity material.  Cut to business card size along the faint lines.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal