Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week UK 19th to 25th August 2017  (Read 35429 times)

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
Re: Whitby Folk Week UK 19th to 25th August 2017
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2017, 12:48:01 AM »

OK, another version.  This includes some suggestions from Bob.  (The instrument is a Hungarian folk horn photographed in 1912).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:01:27 AM by Jack Campin »
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2017, 02:08:47 PM »

(:) the programme has got to the " proof reading/checking" stage so it shouldn't be too long before it's at the printers and an added attraction during Folk Week will be an exhibition at the Museum in Pannett Park ( reduced entry price for Festival Ticket holders ) on the old "Whitby Competitive Dance Festival " with some of the old trophies, photos of the dance sides etc.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:36:22 PM by AnnC »
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2017, 04:32:59 PM »

...the programme has got to the " proof reading/checking" stage ...
Just wondering how you know, this, Ann. ;) Are you one of the proof readers?
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2017, 04:44:51 PM »

...the programme has got to the " proof reading/checking" stage ...
Just wondering how you know, this, Ann. ;) Are you one of the proof readers?

No  (:) but a friend is one of the festival organisers and is very good at passing on information when she gets to know anything new

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2017, 06:32:11 PM »

No  (:) but a friend is one of the festival organisers and is very good at passing on information when she gets to know anything new
Aha! Thanks, Ann  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

John Golightly

« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2017, 08:56:25 PM »

I've already badgered them about what they want me to do. Details are sketchy, but it seems as though I'll be running two Well Known Tunes at a Steady Pace structured sessions and a workshop on Tunes from the Yorkshire Dales.

I'll be about...

Cheers,
John

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2017, 04:19:27 PM »

Well, after years of camping, this year I have booked a B&B. It's not far from Church Square, so I will be able to drink alcohol while stewarding at the Con, Club, and walk home. Instead of driving back to the Rugby Club with my tongue hanging out, to get a drink before the bar shuts.

Slainthé

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Jack Campin

« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2017, 08:06:01 PM »

You could always take the campervan anyway and rent it out to someone else on AirBnB.

I wonder if anyone already does that?  Is it legal?

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2017, 11:13:18 AM »

Any news on the Programme front yet please Ann? I need an excuse to come over to Whitby.  (:)
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2017, 11:37:23 AM »

Might know something this afternoon if my friend comes to band practice  :|||:  she's not answering the phone so must be busy  (:)

update   ..... they're still not ready but I've been promised a text as soon as she hears that they are  :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:39:35 PM by AnnC »

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
    • Mel Biggs Music | Melodeon Teacher
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2017, 11:05:10 AM »

Sorry if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but when and where will the flat session take place?
Castagnari Trilly DG and GC, Castagnari Tommy DG all by Acorn Instruments,
Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb and Hohner Student 1 C/F conversion set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/puap

Mel Biggs Musician | Melodeon Teacher
www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

Jack Campin

« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2017, 12:04:03 PM »

Last two years it's been Tuesday, 1-3, at the Golden Lion.  I arranged it last time - is that ok with everyone again?

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2017, 11:38:40 PM »

Ok here. But you need to be clear with the staff and perhaps get there early to save a couple of tables. Thanks for doing this. I'm driving up from France that day but will try to make it.  (:)
  _       _    _      _ 

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2017, 11:35:23 PM »

;D just had a text to say the programmes are ready  :M ;D hope to get my hands on one by Friday and be able to post a " melodeon friendly" list of workshops and events  :||: :|||:

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2017, 01:55:30 PM »

Hi Ann - have you any idea when they will be in the shops please?

Chris B.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2017, 08:59:24 PM »

Hi Ann - have you any idea when they will be in the shops please?

Chris B.
  (:) they should be in the shops from this Friday onwards .... , in Station News opposite the railway station car park and probably in the Station Inn as well as other outlets. Will be down town Friday afternoon to try to get one for self and OH and another to post to the friends who'll be staying with us so they can plan their week before they get here  :|||: :M :|
update. they're in town  :D  Station Inn, Star Inn and Station News ...... just on my way to get mine
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:40:35 PM by AnnC »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2017, 02:22:37 PM »

And if you have the app you can now buy the 2017 as an in-app purchase for £3.99
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2017, 07:21:23 PM »

(:) ....... after an hour or so's trawling through the programme ..... a short list of melodeon friendly/interesting events  ;D :||:
 apologies for any I've missed, lots of the evening concerts have some 'melodeon interest' too :||: :|||:

The festival office will be in the Spa, the Music and Craft stalls will be in the West Cliff Leisure Centre

Saturday.                                                                                                             entrance cost
17.15-19.00  Spa Theatre Bar Upstairs.  Music session with Bob Ellis.                          donations

Sunday
 11.30-12.50 Rifle Club  CD launch John Kirkpatrick performs tracks from his new CD.                 £5
 13.00-15.00 Conservative Club Bar.       Music session  Alistair Anderson & Friends.     donations
 15.00-17.30 Metropole Ballroom Concert  The Watch,Peter & Barbara Snape,Bob Fox,Windy Gyle £12
 20.00-23.30 Whitby Football Club  John Kirkpatrick,Peter&Barbara Snape and others                   £12

Monday
 10.00-11.20 Middle Earth  Melodeon Workshop 1 of 3 for beginners     Steve  Dumpleton.            £5
 11.30-12.50 Rifle Club. Village Band Workshop suitable for squeeze boxes/brass/strings/bass some          music reading ability helpful.            Dave Townsend.                                                                 £5
 20.00-23.30 Spa Theatre. Concert. including John Kirkpatrick, Rattle on the Stovepipe, Faustus.    £16
 22.00-22.30 Spa Pavilion Foyer  Annual Speed Ploughing Contest  play 2A's&2B's of Speed the Plough on any musical instrument as fast as you can.                                                            donations

Tuesday
 10-00-11.20 Middle Earth  Melodeon Workshop 2 of 3 for beginners  Steve Dumpleton.                 £5
 11.30-12.50 Middle Earth  Melodeon Workshop some tips on song accompaniment Pete Coe.         £5
 11.30-12.50 Rifle Club  Village Band Workshop  squeeze boxes/brass/strings/bass some music reading ability helpful      Dave Townsend.                                                                                              £5
 11.30-12.50 Fishermens Rowing Club   Anglo Concertina Workshop.  John Kirkpatrick.                   £5
 13.00-15.00  Middle Earth  Music Session 1of2 well known tunes at a steady pace. Bob Ellis. donations
 17.30-19.00 Spa Theatre Bar upstairs.  English music session.     Ken Watson.                     donations

Wednesday
 10.00-11.20 Middle Earth  Melodeon Workshop 3of 3 for beginners  Steve Dumpleton.                   £5
 11.30-12.50 Rifle Club. Village Band Workshop (as previous days)  Dave Townsend.                      £5
 11.30-12.50 Fishermens Rowing Club   Anglo Concertina Workshop   beginners & improvers                 
                      Andy Casserley.                                                                                                   £5
 13.00-15.00 Middle Earth Music session 2of2 well known tunes at a steady pace Bob Ellis.     donations
 13.30-16.00 Fishermans Football Club  Concert in the English tradition  Arthur Knevett, Bob Lewis, Peter & Barbara Snape, Ken Watson, Will Duke.                                                                          £12
 23.00-1.00 Spa Exhibition Hall  LNE Concert. Mary Humphreys & Anahata,Pete Morton,Windy Gyle£10

Thursday
 10.00-11.20 Middle Earth  Melodeon Workshop 'Flying on One Row' tunes, styles & techniques in the key of D  Intermediate & Advanced.       Steve Dumpleton.                                                           £5
 11.30-12.50 Middle Earth  Workshop 'Tune Swap'.      Frank Lee.                                                  £5
 13.00-15.00 Conservative Club Bar  Music Session.         Phoenix.                                   donations
 15.00-17.30  Rifle Club  Concert.  Mary Humphreys & Anahata, Arthur Knevett, Jack Rutter          £12

Friday
 10.00-11.20  Fishermans Rowing Club  Yorkshire Dales Tunes Workshop. Bob Ellis.                         £5
 17.00-19.00  Middle Earth. English Music Session.      Ken Watson.                                  donations

what with all the above plus Eurosessions, the Melnet meet and pub sessions it's going to be great fun  ;D :|||: :|glug

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:46:42 PM by AnnC »

Choonz

• Good talker
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2017, 10:19:00 PM »

Thank you Ann for all of this.  I sent off for my programme this afternoon. 

Does anyone know where there might be pub sessions in the evening that might suit me?  I've been playing around 3 years so I am improver standard.  I really enjoyed Ken Watson's sessions last year and knew a fair number of tunes even though I couldn't keep up with them all.  Is there a session anywhere in the evenings which is basically English repertoire where I would stand a decent chance of being able to join in from time to time?

Jack Campin

« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2017, 10:37:27 PM »

Probably the Board, which tends to stick to fairly familiar material.  The Elsinore has a rather idiosyncratic collective repertoire developed over many years and it might not be so easy to join in, but they'll welcome people trying.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal