Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week UK 19th to 25th August 2017  (Read 35415 times)

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
Re: Whitby Folk Week UK 19th to 25th August 2017
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2017, 06:45:56 PM »

Please correct me if I've missed something, but there doesn't appear to be any melodeon workshops for two row players other than beginners. Is that correct, and if so is there a reason for it?
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2017, 12:49:04 AM »

Please correct me if I've missed something, but there doesn't appear to be any melodeon workshops for two row players other than beginners. Is that correct, and if so is there a reason for it?
My one-row workshop (Thursday 10 - 11:20) is aimed at Intermediate to Advanced players and last year there were quite a few two-row players attending. Previous to that I held an East Anglian tunes workshop for I/A melodeon players. But other than that, as far as I can recall, there hasn't been an I/A two-row workshop held for a frw years.

Each year, in addition to my beginners melodeon workshops, I submit a range of other workshop proposals to the festival organisers which includes a variety of melodeon workshops for different abilities. It is up to the organisers to choose what they want and they always seem to come up with what's been in the programme for the last few years. I agree it would be nice to have some more advanced melodeon workshops and it might be worth putting the suggestions in to the organisers. There are usually feedback forms and a receiving box in the Festival office.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Choonz

• Good talker
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2017, 07:14:59 AM »

I filled in a feedback form with exactly that suggestion last year.  I am going again this year but have decided it's not worth buying a season ticket as I have on previous occasions.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2017, 10:51:45 AM »

Suggested this in the 1980s  ::)  Whitby changes ....  Only slowly, but that is part of its charm

I'm there from the Thursday. Happy to meet informally with others for a skill swap session (and a beer), but when I offered same wrt singing with box 2 years back only one turned up, and then had to leave for stewarding duties  :(
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:54:11 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2017, 01:05:51 PM »

My one-row workshop (Thursday 10 - 11:20) is aimed at Intermediate to Advanced players and last year there were quite a few two-row players attending. Previous to that I held an East Anglian tunes workshop for I/A melodeon players. But other than that, as far as I can recall, there hasn't been an I/A two-row workshop held for a few years.

Thanks for this Steve. Is there any point attending a one row workshop with a two row?
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »

My one-row workshop (Thursday 10 - 11:20) is aimed at Intermediate to Advanced players and last year there were quite a few two-row players attending. Previous to that I held an East Anglian tunes workshop for I/A melodeon players. But other than that, as far as I can recall, there hasn't been an I/A two-row workshop held for a few years.

Thanks for this Steve. Is there any point attending a one row workshop with a two row?

It's ok Hugh...it's only two one rows stuck together... >:E :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2017, 01:39:36 PM »

I'll bring my C one-row. >:E
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2017, 07:31:21 PM »

Yes of course. There are usually more people with 2-rows than 1-rows. I'll be teaching a lot of RH technique - harmonies, counter-melodies, etc., so all just as useful on a 2-row box. Just so long as you have a D-row you'll be OK and if you have a 3-voice box with a low-octave voice, even better!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2017, 07:32:43 PM »

You can go off people, you know!  >:E
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2017, 10:59:20 PM »

There used to be a guy who showed up at the bike shop session at Kirriemuir Folk Festival with a one-row in C.  Which he would play along with everyone else regardless of what key the tune was in.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2017, 05:04:19 PM »

[
In that case I'll bring my G 1 row (  I did buy it from Steve). And after seeing some video clips of music/song sessions from a Suffolk pub in the 1950's it seemed to be quite a free for all as far as keys went.
Paul
Location NE Fife

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2017, 05:22:44 PM »

[
In that case I'll bring my G 1 row (  I did buy it from Steve). And after seeing some video clips of music/song sessions from a Suffolk pub in the 1950's it seemed to be quite a free for all as far as keys went.
Bring it anyway Paul, as it will no doubt be useful on Ken Watson's English tunes sessions. I'll try and bring mine if I can fit it in the car!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2017, 10:45:31 AM »

I've looked at the programme for Thursday pm , and I'm sorry to say that there is stuff on I want to go to at the same time that we usually have our session in the Elsinore .

Hence I won't be organising anything !

I will probably be in the Board in the evenings from Tuesday , and plan to be at the Flat session , so I'll no doubt bump into a few of you then  (:)
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2017, 11:41:21 AM »

I see they have changed the way that the venue I usually steward at, is run. (Conservative Club) Instead of a nominated MC, they are getting one of the guests to run each evening.
Every year, something different.
We shall see what we shall see.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2017, 02:04:08 PM »

If Pikey's not organising anything in the Elsinore, I could probably arrange a melnet session one afternoon in The George from 1.00 to 3.00 pm, if there is sufficient interest. However, we would have to finish at 3.00 pm because the Euro-session has it booked every afternoon from 3.00 until 5.00 pm.

So, is there sufficient interest?
If there is, which day would people prefer? I can't do Tuesday or Wednesday because it would clash with my Well Known Tunes at a Steady Pace sessions in the Middle Earth (I haven't seen a programme, so I've no idea what else is on at that time on Monday or Thursday.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2017, 11:33:52 PM »

I think Thursday would be best for me Bob. I'll just have to make sure I remember to bring two boxes, as well as my fiddle. Ah well, at least it's downhill all the way from Cliff Street!
Regards,

Chris B.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2017, 08:29:17 AM »

Thursday's fine here too :D :|||:     .... sorry can't check programme just now, on way to pick up OH's newly restored 1930's Banjo  ;D
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2017, 06:32:23 PM »

If Pikey's not organising anything in the Elsinore, I could probably arrange a melnet session one afternoon in The George from 1.00 to 3.00 pm, if there is sufficient interest. However, we would have to finish at 3.00 pm because the Euro-session has it booked every afternoon from 3.00 until 5.00 pm.

So, is there sufficient interest?
If there is, which day would people prefer? I can't do Tuesday or Wednesday because it would clash with my Well Known Tunes at a Steady Pace sessions in the Middle Earth (I haven't seen a programme, so I've no idea what else is on at that time on Monday or Thursday.

The slight difficulty is it prevents anyone coming in early to get a seat for the eurosession.
And then the logistics of getting the first lot out... Sorry to sound negative. Maybe half an hour earlier for the slot?

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2017, 07:23:52 PM »

Does it have to be organised by Pikey, to be in the Elsinore?

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #139 on: July 26, 2017, 09:26:45 PM »

Does it have to be organised by Pikey, to be in the Elsinore?

No it doesn't, but The Elsinore is usually heaving. It is difficult to get a seat and impossible to get a comfortable one. This wouldn't be a problem in The George because we could have the cellar bar to ourselves, with plenty of room and a more comfortable and relaxed atmosphere. but if people prefer The Elsinore....

Mike makes a valid point about allowing time to change over from the melnet session to the Euro-session, so, if we decide we want a melnet session in The George, 12.30 - 2.30 might be a better time slot, If Euro-sessioners arrive early, there is plenty of room for them to have a drink and a chat in the very large main bar.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal