Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week UK 19th to 25th August 2017  (Read 35428 times)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
Re: Whitby Folk Week UK 19th to 25th August 2017
« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2017, 11:33:16 PM »

Diary duly noted. :||:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #161 on: August 05, 2017, 03:45:34 PM »

Ebor fiddler will play Delilah on my behalf  (:)
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #162 on: August 05, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »

So has anybody rounded up all the melodeon events into a readable format?

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #163 on: August 05, 2017, 05:17:37 PM »

Add: flat key session, Tuesday 22nd, cellar bar of the George Hotel, 1pm to 3pm.

Not just melodeons - clarinets, saxes, brass...
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #164 on: August 05, 2017, 06:01:50 PM »

BTW. When I mentioned on the WFW FB page, that it might be a good idea to be able to select events by instrument. I was told that this is being worked on, at the moment.

Sir John

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2017, 10:45:18 AM »

Shaky egg Events ??
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2017, 10:47:13 AM »

There'll be repercussions Pikey.

SJ

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2017, 06:10:23 PM »

Just back home from Whitby Folk Week 2017.
What a fabulous week! As good as any I can remember. It was lovely to meet up with so many old friends and make new ones too.
Great sessions with brilliant music! The mid-week thunderstorm was spectacular but fortunately short-lived, and otherwise we were blessed with dry and mostly sunny weather.
Many thanks to all who came to my melodeon workshops and who made such lovely comments. Even one of the folk week organisers was impressed, so I must be doing something right.  :Ph

Also, a great chance to try out the very fine new Castagnari 'Jilly' on the Acorn Instruments trade stand (covered in another thread).

Hope you all got back home safely...
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2017, 09:44:27 PM »

It certainly was a spectacular storm - I was in it! I got so completely soaked, that I went into the wrong workshop and didn't notice until somebody handed me a page of sheet music which was far more simple than I expected. It turned out that I had gone into a workshop on arrangement - which i thoroughly enjoyed and found very helpful. The best bits for me were the Euro Sessions, which finally ran out last night in The Middle Earth and was extremely enjoyable.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #169 on: August 27, 2017, 12:12:33 AM »

As usual after Whitby I am tempted to never pick up a melodeon again, having spent a week surrounded by such a wealth of talented people. No doubt this will soon wear off! High spots for me were Steve's one row workshop and some outstanding playing in the Elsinor and the Board, along with the Euro sessions. It was a pity so few made it to the melnet session but half the usual suspects were with me at the Phoenix session. A question did emerge on session etiquette - is the increasing trend for shouting "change" etc a good thing or should people listen to each other enough to tell when the tune changes? Discuss >:E

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #170 on: August 27, 2017, 01:20:40 AM »

I avoid shouting "change" like the plague. A simple "hup" will suffice or better still, make eye contact with the principal players.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #171 on: August 27, 2017, 08:01:19 AM »

I avoid shouting "change" like the plague. A simple "hup" will suffice or better still, make eye contact with the principal players.
Agreed (though I tend to use 'ay'). I work on the basis that the tune leader should only need to communicate that something (change of tune/ end of set) is about to happen; it's then up to others to listen out for what will happen.
Cheers
Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #172 on: August 27, 2017, 08:44:52 AM »

"I avoid shouting "change" like the plague. A simple "hup" will suffice"

I don't expect to ever be in the position to utilise the advice (?) here, but surely any vocalisation should at least be understandable? And "change" is certainly that, whereas "hup" could easily be mistaken for some sort of vocal "tic"! I cannot see why a nonsensical word should be preferred over a "real" word, if, indeed, a word is required? Mind you, the whole situation sounds quite disorganised and difficult to manage without some sort of definite instruction or agreed formula, even Rees's making "eye contact" sounds like a recipe for disaster to me (the ignorant contributor; I know!).
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #173 on: August 27, 2017, 09:57:57 AM »

I know 'hup' is commonly used in Irish sessions - I've always yelled 'change' simply it means what I say ! Sometimes the standard three times through doesn't feel right, so 'one more time' is useful. Practically, it took me years to learn to talk and play at the same time anyway so I reckon saying anything is an achievement... ::)

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #174 on: August 27, 2017, 10:08:54 AM »

"Change", "Hup", or nothing?

I find it depends upon the session size,dynamics and where in the room I am.

At Whitby,  I played in the Board a few lunchtimes and evenings and those sessions were populated by people who listened and followed. Friday evening's session in particular was a lovely mix of tunes and instruments, and I don't recall Messrs Hup and Change being mentioned once :)

The two sessions I went to in Middle Earth were different, lots of instruments, poor acoustics if you were not in the middle, and lots of people playing and not listening. Some people played single tunes, usually 3 times through, but sometimes 2 or 4, some played tune sets. On both occasions,  I felt a quick shout was a useful nudge to get people listening for my forthcoming tune change.

'tis horses for courses.......

PS Due to my duties playing for a team (Rumworth), I missed all the Melnet-flagged sessions (meet up, Flat, Euro). I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to put more faces to names.  For those in the Board,  I was playing either my Oakwood Dino or my Lilly. A belated 'Hi' to everyone :)
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2017, 10:16:32 AM »

. A question did emerge on session etiquette - is the increasing trend for shouting "change" etc a good thing or should people listen to each other enough to tell when the tune changes? Discuss >:E
Normally eye contact will do but I think Whitby sessions are an exception - with 30+ melodeons all playing at once I think shouting change or leaping up and down is acceptable and preferable to tunes getting out of sync.
Agree with all previous comments about how great Whitby 2017 was , and would like to thank Steve D and Bob Ellis for their stand out workshops on 1 row technique and Yorkshire Dales tunes.
See you all next year
Paul 
Paul
Location NE Fife

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2017, 10:21:22 AM »

Whitby was great, but I'm ready for a rest! Not much chance of that, though, with family and museum commitments during the week and then Settle Folk Festival next weekend.

Thanks to all who came to my workshops and sessions. I hope you enjoyed them. The new venue for the Euro-sessions worked well; they were well attended and there was a good atmosphere. Chris and I will be reviewing the sessions over the next few days, so please PM me with any feedback - positive or negative.

I enjoyed Steve's one-row workshop and must find time to add Dick Iris's Hornpipe to my repertoire.

The melnet meeting was small, but it was nice to be in a venue where we could chat and play tunes in a relaxed environment. Nevertheless, I wonder whether the Whitby and Sidmouth melnet meetings have run their course. Both were sparsely attended. Initially, they provided an opportunity to put faces to names and to get to know fellow melnetters a little better, but the usual suspects now know one another reasonably well, so maybe the melnet meetings have outlived their usefulness.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #177 on: August 27, 2017, 11:58:38 AM »

Perhaps next year, Melnet members could just have a wee get together before the Euro session, as this year, but allocating a shorter time to it?
I enjoyed the Euro Sessions, and the dancing was fun too. I struggled along with an awful lot of tunes I'd never heard before, but enjoyed doing so.
Thanks Bob for finding the venue.

Sir John

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #178 on: August 27, 2017, 02:17:16 PM »

The melnet meeting was small, but it was nice to be in a venue where we could chat and play tunes in a relaxed environment. Nevertheless, I wonder whether the Whitby and Sidmouth melnet meetings have run their course. Both were sparsely attended. Initially, they provided an opportunity to put faces to names and to get to know fellow melnetters a little better, but the usual suspects now know one another reasonably well, so maybe the melnet meetings have outlived their usefulness.
I think you may be right, Bob. Apologies again for not making the meet, I was kidnapped to play elsewhere. I think this typifies the dilemma at something so big as Whitby, where there are so many events one wants to go to. Can I just say how friendly and welcoming everyone was at the euros, from which I again learned a lot.
M

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #179 on: August 28, 2017, 11:03:21 AM »

I had a great time meeting old friends and making new ones . Sorry I wasn't at the Melnet very , but I wanted to see Will Duke at his session .

We had two good evenings in the Elsinore , I think a few of us will be going there every evening next year . There's more space , and it's a good mix of styles and instruments. Maybe that can become the Whitby equivalent of the Sidmouth Radway?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal