Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week UK 19th to 25th August 2017  (Read 35414 times)

Ken Watson

• Good talker
Re: Whitby Folk Week UK 19th to 25th August 2017
« Reply #180 on: August 28, 2017, 11:07:32 AM »

Back from another Whitby Folk Week...

Thanks to all the people who came to my English Music Sessions at Middle Earth and the Spa Theatre Bar - Upstairs.
I hope you all enjoyed them as much as I did.  :||: :|glug  (:)

Choonz

• Good talker
« Reply #181 on: August 28, 2017, 02:23:45 PM »

I came to all three and enjoyed them all immensely.  Thank you Ken (:)  I think they were all a bit different and although the last one at Middle Earth, for me, was a great way to end the festival, but on reflection I think I liked the one upstairs at the Spa best. 

Best memories: Duke of Cornwall's Reel - thanks Steve_freereeder

Sally Sloane/Trip to Cottingham at the final Middle Earth -Whoah! Who is that behind me?  Oh it's Pikey!  I thought I died and gone to Melodeon heaven ;) :||:

See you next year X

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #182 on: August 28, 2017, 03:11:22 PM »

I didn't make Whitby but was at Sidmouth as part of a booked morris side so that blew my chances for a Melnet meet as we were busy every day.
My reply is to make the point that I found Sidmouth a most peculiar festival this year.
I'm not surprised that the Melnet meeting was quiet, I felt *everywhere* was quiet.
Bob and I managed to bump into one another outside the Squeezebox stall and he was saying the Rugby club sessions were busy, yet the 3 times I popped into the Radway it was dead. not even folkie friends to yap too.
Leaving the mud question to one side ( if you were there you'll know what I mean! ) I felt the whole Sidmouth week was quiet.
Yet from the sounds of it on this thread I'm thinking Whitby was a good enjoyable week?
Overall well attended?
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #183 on: August 28, 2017, 03:17:20 PM »

I came to all three and enjoyed them all immensely.  Thank you Ken (:)  I think they were all a bit different and although the last one at Middle Earth, for me, was a great way to end the festival, but on reflection I think I liked the one upstairs at the Spa best. 

Sally Sloane/Trip to Cottingham at the final Middle Earth -Whoah! Who is that behind me?  Oh it's Pikey!  I thought I died and gone to Melodeon heaven ;) :||:

See you next year X

;D

And I wasn't playing Delilah !  ;)

My new Mike Rowbotham special does sound rather nice, with Hohner professional reeds on aluminium plates from a Club BS, LMM with 12 basses .
I'll be taking it to Melodeons in Wensleydale , along with my new Castagnari Jilly
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #184 on: August 28, 2017, 03:38:22 PM »

I heard you play Delilah, on a Castagnari Jilly. So don't try to deceive the nice people. They might think you'd given up playing it.

Sir John

(I didn't buy a copy of the lovely Panards music book, as I can't do dots. Can anybody point me in the direction of some of them on You Tube, and such like, please?)
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #185 on: August 28, 2017, 04:14:44 PM »

Delilah, on a Castagnari Jilly.

[ shudder ] brain bleach, please...

Re Whitby generally: 6 concert spots in 3 days and the logistics of getting assorted instruments safely from one place to another meant I didn't get to any melnet sessions.

I found Sidmouth a most peculiar festival this year.
I'm not surprised that the Melnet meeting was quiet, I felt *everywhere* was quiet.
Whitby seemed quieter than usual Tuesday to Thursday when I was there. The initial weekend would have been chaos because of the regatta but I was at Folk East so didn't experience that.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #186 on: August 28, 2017, 04:48:01 PM »

'Brain bleach....' - love it!

Interesting that you thought Whitby quiet too.
Friends are returning from Towersey soon so will ask them as well.
Wonder if folk festivals are having a dip in numbers across the board this year?
Certainly the Sidmouth campsite issues will have a major impact for the worse I suspect on next year's attendees. :(
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #187 on: August 28, 2017, 05:13:29 PM »

The dip in attendance at festivals is surely to do with the fact that there are too many of them. You can't bloody move for folk festivals nowadays.
That in turn has led to the growth of large folk groups, which only festivals have the space, and the cash, to book.
The closure of some well established folk clubs (eg Herga), is I think attributable in no small part, to the increasing number of festivals.
Just my twopenn'orth.

Sir John
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:43:17 PM by John MacKenzie (Cugiok) »

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #188 on: August 28, 2017, 05:39:16 PM »

I only managed one day (Tues) at Whitby (my first visit ever).

I managed the flat session, usefully followed by the eurosession. The latter consisted of many tunes I did not know, but found many of them easy to follow. I particularly enjoyed Steve F playing the clarinet - adds a real feel to the tune, and his obvious enjoyment of tunes and his interaction with Mike (?) sat next to him.

A good 4 hours of melodeon time.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 08:45:31 PM by brianread »
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #189 on: August 28, 2017, 05:42:27 PM »

Perhaps, I'm not sure if new ones have sprung up and crowded the marketplace.
The main ones, Sidmouth, Whitby, Towersey and Shrewsburt are well established and I wonder if a dip has affected those in particular.
Certainly the price for season tickets seem to be increasing rapidly.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #190 on: August 28, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »

Thanks to all the people who came to my English Music Sessions at Middle Earth and the Spa Theatre Bar - Upstairs.
I hope you all enjoyed them as much as I did.  :||: :|glug  (:)
Oh yes - always a highlight of the week, Ken, thank you!  :|glug
The final tune pair: Harlequin Air and Shropshire Lass in the Middle Earth on the Friday evening were something quite special and a fitting end to the week.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #191 on: August 28, 2017, 07:36:17 PM »

You're welcome Jean. It's a great tune!  (:)

I particularly enjoyed Steve F playing the clarinet - adds a real feel to the tune, and his obvious enjoyment of tunes and his interaction with Mike (?) sat next to him.
Thanks Brian. I spent most of my afternoons in the Eurosessions playing my C clarinet. If nothing else, it certainly toughened up my embouchure ready for my autumn run of orchestral rehearsals and concerts. It also was a nice change from playing melodeon and meant that I could be very flexible in terms of keys: it was refreshing to play in Am, Dm and Gm as well as the usual C, F, D and G majors on the single compact instrument.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #192 on: August 28, 2017, 07:46:08 PM »

Names please. ( I know Jack, Pikey, & Helen )

SJ

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #193 on: August 28, 2017, 08:02:20 PM »

"Wonder if folk festivals are having a dip in numbers across the board this year?"

As someone who, sadly, has never managed to get to a folk festival yet, maybe I shouldn't comment. But, as ignorance and inexperience has never stopped me before, I'll chuck my tuppence in anyway.
It seems to me, as I attend local folkie gatherings now and then, that there is a distinct lack of young people who are not professional, or at least semi-professional, performers. Everyone else seems to be an old f**t, like me. Consequently, the numbers attending festivals will surely diminish as our generation(s) go the "way of all flesh".
While I'm on, although I know very few Melnetters personally, I'm deeply indebted to quite a number and would relish the idea of meeting them in person. I would therefore be sad to see the Melnetter festival gatherings cease, as even though I haven't yet managed to get to one, it is a goal that I would love to achieve at some point. I believe that they are also a valuable addition to the festivals, in that they might well encourage other people in my sort of position to try to attend such larger events, which may be faltering.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #194 on: August 28, 2017, 08:17:49 PM »

At Sidmouth this year we commented on the number of young people around, so the festivals aren't an excuse for the people to escape the old people's home for a while! There are some good young morris and rapper sides getting going, I just hope they continue in their dancing lives.
What is difficult is to get the word out there that a folk festival is essentially a whole load of fun. My daughter has introduced her new non-folkie boyfriend to two this summer and he really has enjoyed himself. We have mutual friends his age and over a pint I asked whether he thought these youngsters would enjoy it and his reply was 'yes absolutely....'
The folk world and festivals is almost like a parallel universe once people cross through they almost always have a great time.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #195 on: August 28, 2017, 08:46:53 PM »

SJ

I'm the one playing a liliput upside down immediatly opposite...
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #196 on: August 28, 2017, 08:48:28 PM »

SJ

(:) I'll admit to playing the Bb/Eb Liliput with the Remembrance Poppy on the grille  :|||:  ;D
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Scobarandbar

• Good talker
« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2017, 08:52:53 PM »

For me there is a definite feel that the concerts are attended by older people at Whitby but I think there is a thriving "fringe" festival going on in the pubs for younger players.  There are a few younger acts across the festival but they do seem to be in a minority compared to the older established acts. 

It is a difficult balance for the Whitby organisers as they still need to cater for the regular, older members who actually pay for season tickets and keep the thing going.  Each festival has it's own vibe and after having had several conversations about the very same issue with a younger pub player who said he had met with younger players in Sidmouth, then Dartmore and then Whitby who followed a circuit!  He wasn't interested what was going on in the main festival at Whitby. 

The cool thing fo me at Whitby is that it is both a listeners and players festival.  The organisers will at some point have to think about the next generation of people coming as listeners though.....

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #198 on: August 28, 2017, 09:01:10 PM »

I suspect I know some of those that go from festival to festival!
The ceilidh scene is well attended at Sidmouth by youngsters who then go to the Late Night Extra and stay on in the lounge til the wee hours.... That is their festival enjoyment and tend not to frequent concerts.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #199 on: August 28, 2017, 09:47:10 PM »

I only attend sessions and workshops, not concerts but Whitby seemed pretty full up until Friday when lots of people moved onto Towersey. Plenty of young performers but not much of a young audience. Perhaps the future if one of young performers going into care homes to find their audience ;)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal