Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos of inside of Castagnari Lily  (Read 1573 times)

lefthandsqueezer

Photos of inside of Castagnari Lily
« on: May 08, 2017, 01:36:30 PM »

Does anyone have any pics of the bass and treble reed block installation of a Lily. Thinking of converting one to a lefty, I've some experience having done a couple of Hohners for myself. I've enquired a Castagnari to make me one and they are willing but they cannot deliver until November. So thought I would try and gauge how big a job it is before placing an order.
Hohner Pokerwork (Modified by me to be a Lefty.
Left handed Castagnari Handry, Mory and sander (Yes they will make you one.) Lovely people.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Photos of inside of Castagnari Lily
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 01:48:28 PM »

No photos but, there are no blocks in the treble side the reeds are flat mounted to casework and the bass/treble block (singular) fills the space in the bellows almost entirely not that this actually affects the moving of the air button mechanism.

jonm

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »

I played a Lilly left-handed for a couple of years without moving the air button. I could reach it just fine with my little finger, as the bass end size is not too great.
Castagnari Mory and Giordy D/G, Hohner Erica, four-stop in G, two-stop in G

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 03:09:00 PM »

Like Lester, I have no photos unfortunately, but I do have a schematic diagram of the bass end reed block layout which I use when tuning. See attached. It might be of help to you.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

lefthandsqueezer

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 03:46:47 PM »

Thanks for the info but I think I still need to see the actual bass reed block assembly to understand it. Hopefully someone will have some photos. I just thought to investigate the job, mainly because I'm too impatient to wait until November. Melodeons, I probably couldn't have picked a more difficult instrument to play left handed. Although Castagnari have been helpful in the past having made me a left hand Handry and Hyde in Ozz would make a lefty. Perhaps I should do a survey and write to every maker and publish the results here.
Left handed Castagnari Handry, Mory and sander (Yes they will make you one.) Lovely people.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 04:06:39 PM »

Is your intention to fully lefty the box ie have the treble low notes near your chin or to just install a lefty air button?

If you wish to invert the treble end the Lilly is probably one of the harder boxes to do as the reed mounts are an integral part of the fondo/soundboard/whatever and are glued in place. To invert the reed positions you would need to do major surgery to remove the current reed mounts and, probably, manufacture new ones to replace them.

And the bass end would be a genuine bugger to invert due to the reed sharing arrangements

lefthandsqueezer

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 08:18:15 PM »

Weighing it up I don't think I will attempt to do anything myself. Now I've had some feedback the Lilly does not sound like a viable project seems the best thing to do is to have it built as a left hander from the off.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 07:49:16 PM »

lefthandsqueezer

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 09:38:10 PM »

Thanks Rob. Interesting photos. Looks like I will bite the bullet and order a new one, just a shame about the wait but it will be worth it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal