Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: First question!! Strap brackets?!?  (Read 8604 times)

Selam

• Regular debater
First question!! Strap brackets?!?
« on: July 19, 2009, 05:13:33 PM »

Ok so I've got to my first stumbling block. My lovely shiny Weltmeister does not have strap brackets. From searching the archives I've found that this is quite a simple thing to remedy. However, I'm definitely not brave enough to attempt this myself. Is this a painless operation? Could it be damaged? How do I find someone to fit them?

Thank you!!

(:)

I'm based in Surrey, by the way.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: First question!! Strap brackets?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »

You can get strap brackets HERE

They are very easy to fit if you can use a screwdriver.

LJC

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 06:03:14 PM »

The thing to do is put the bracket in position and mark where the hole will go with a pencil or a sharp point, drill pilot holes slightly smaller than the screws then screw bracket on. Less chance of making a mistake that way or splitting the wood screwing directly into it.

melodeon

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 07:53:09 PM »

Look at other instruments for a location point.... can be critical..
then mark....  pilot hole... screw driver   
good to go

I get many of my strap brackets from a boating shop    stainless steel

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 11:48:15 PM »

The thing to do is put the bracket in position and mark where the hole will go with a pencil or a sharp point, drill pilot holes slightly smaller than the screws then screw bracket on. Less chance of making a mistake that way or splitting the wood screwing directly into it.

This is very good advice, but first it is prudent to remove the treble end from the bellows, and examine your intended hole locations quite carefully to make sure you are not drilling into some unseen innards. I was once shown a lovely Italian made instrument, where the installer (of fancy closure straps) drilled thru the case and almost into the metal retainer holding in the reedblock for the low-voice reeds. His luck finally ran out when he drove in the screw for the closure strap bracket, and when the screw contacted the reedblock retainer, the resulting stress caused the wood of the case to crack :'(. In other words, it's ok to drill holes in your box, but always look first!

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 07:47:14 AM »

Eeeep! See I was all set to follow advice and buy and install them myself but that's exactly the kind of worry I have!
*quandary*
I suppose the first thing to do is get the brackets then I'll ~see~ if I can brave doing that myself.

Thanks for the advice, guys.  (:)

Sebastian

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 08:42:16 AM »

Ok so I've got to my first stumbling block. My lovely shiny Weltmeister does not have strap brackets.
What do you need them for?  ???

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 09:57:32 AM »

Ok so I've got to my first stumbling block. My lovely shiny Weltmeister does not have strap brackets.
What do you need them for?  ???
I'll assume this is not a wind-up. Not everyone is blessed with powers of levitation enabling one to hold the melodeon in a playing position securely against the force of gravity. We have to rely on straps.

Yes - I know some people, particularly the traditional Cajun 1-row players, do not use shoulder straps, relying solely on the RH thumb strap and the LH wrist strap. I've tried it. It's just about OK when sitting down and with a very light box.

I would not recommend a beginner to go strapless. Especially when you are just starting out, you need the stability provided by shoulder straps to stop the box wobbling around. Cajun players aside, just about everyone uses shoulder straps, including the top professionals - so that must be telling you something.

As to whether to use one or two shoulder straps, that's a different kettle of eels and has been discussed before and at length on this forum. It boils down to a matter of personal preference. Whatever works for you best is OK.

Fitting the strap brackets is not really a big deal, just a little bit of care is needed. Two observations arising from what has already been said:

1. Pilot holes for the screws:
The wood casing of the melodeon is generally relatively soft (certainly in the case of the Weltmeisters) so take care not to make the pilot holes too deep or too wide. The strap brackets would normally come with screws provided. Check to see how far the threaded portion of the screw protrudes beyond the bracket and make your pilot hole no deeper than about 2/3rds of this measurement. Probably this will only be around 5 mm. Also ensure the diameter of the pilot hole is no more than the narrow solid core diameter excluding the diameter of the threads. This means that the screw threads will be able to cut their way into the wood and provide a secure fixing. If the pilot holes are too deep or too wide, the screw thread will not be able to get a firm fix on the wood. To make the pilot hole, it is normally quite sufficient to use a narrow hand-spike or bradawl. You can even use a thin nail and a hammer at a pinch. If you must use a drill, only use a hand drill and make sure your drill is narrow and doesn't go too deep. It will cut very quickly! If using a small dremel-type drill, turn the drill chuck by hand, rather than use the power.

2. Positioning of the strap brackets:
Normally they are positioned on the top and underneath faces of the instrument casing, about 10 - 15 mm in from the edges nearest your body and nearest the grille. If you can, have a look at other instruments, or photos, to see how the brackets are positioned. With that sort of location you shouldn't have any problems of interfering with any delicate melodeon innards. And in any case, the screws shouldn't be so long that they penetrate into the interior of the box, or no more than a fraction of a mm at the most.

Finally, when driving in your screws take care not to over-tighten them; just nip them up until they are snug but no more. Otherwise you risk stripping the screw thread from the hole in the wood.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 10:09:49 AM »

Here's a close-up view of my Castagnari Sander showing the strap brackets position.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 10:32:19 AM »

Wow Steve - thanks for the detailed reply and pictures. I'm feeling a bit more confident about fitting them now! I now have moved on to worrying that they'll some how come out and envisaging a melodeon-crashing-to-the-ground disaster. I think I worry too much!!!!

(:)

euterpe

Sebastian

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 11:37:56 AM »

It's just about OK when sitting down and with a very light box.
It's a Weltmeister 86W. I had never problems playing it without shoulder-straps. I tried single and double shoulder-straps on my other boxes. They are usefull if you want to stand up, yes, and if you have a bigger instrument which needs more air. But for a normal two-reeded two-row box?

I don't think I had problems with the box wobbling around either. ;)

Bananayogi

• Regular debater
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 12:03:06 PM »

It's just about OK when sitting down and with a very light box.
It's a Weltmeister 86W. I had never problems playing it without shoulder-straps. I tried single and double shoulder-straps on my other boxes. They are usefull if you want to stand up, yes, and if you have a bigger instrument which needs more air. But for a normal two-reeded two-row box?

I don't think I had problems with the box wobbling around either. ;)

Presumably you must use the thumb strap then? If you don't, I can't imagine how the box doesn't wobble!

I am having a go at Cajun at the moment, and you are supposed to use the thumb strap for that style - otherwise I always use a shoulder strap to keep things at the treble end where I expect them to be...
Larry Miller Bon Cajun in C, A/D/G Handry, far too many Hohners and a Streb.

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 05:23:59 PM »

I play 1-row on thumb strap only and don't have a problem with it, but it seems that these days most players can't come to terms with it, a bit like the way anybody born since 1980 can't contemplate riding a bicycle without a helmet, lycra and sunglasses  ;) - but having said that, if I play stood up I need my foot up on a box or something like that, so if playing in a standing position is in the plan and you want to move about, yes - fit a strap. Just be careful not to play with your wrist kinked as can happen when you play with only one strap (on a 2+ row I not only use straps, I use two) - as that can cause all sorts of wrist problems in the future.

Mike
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 06:20:57 PM »

Now I'm willing to admit I'm not always the most practical person in the world but I'm completely baffled by straps & brackets! I've searched through pages of photos of boxes to work out what I'm supposed to do but now I'm appealing once more for help! And use small words. I'm clearly too stupid for anything else!   ???

Basically I have two straps but only a pair of horseshoe shaped brackets. Do I need another set of them for two straps? And how on EARTH do the straps work? Maybe it's because I've not yet recovered from the weekend but this has me completely flummoxed.

xxx
euterpe

jb

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 06:33:42 PM »

each bracket takes both straps - hence the horseshoe shape. The two straps go off in different directions, each from one side of the horseshoe. So you put one bracket on the top of the box, and the other on the bottom, and attach each strap to both brackets.
there ain't no such thing as a free reed

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 06:39:09 PM »

AhA!!! Brilliant! Thanks! In which case - do the brackets go parallel to the side nearest the body? As parallel as horseshoes can go, if that makes sense? I really hope I'm not the only person who finds this confusing!!!
xxx
euterpe

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 07:19:17 PM »

With the treble end to your right, looking down at the top of the melodeon.

You will have one strap shorter than the other, the short one is fitted to the right.

Pete.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:12:50 PM by tallship »
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

HallelujahAl

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 07:20:10 PM »

AhA!!! Brilliant! Thanks! In which case - do the brackets go parallel to the side nearest the body? As parallel as horseshoes can go, if that makes sense? I really hope I'm not the only person who finds this confusing!!!
xxx
euterpe

Hopefully my pic will help. You are looking at the top of my melodeon from the back (ie as you would see if were wearing it). Situate the horseshoe bracket so the round bit is nearest to you and then buckle the straps on - and away you go!
AL

HallelujahAl

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »

Sorry Pete I must have pressed go on this post milliseconds after you. Same idea however!
AL

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 07:29:46 PM »

No worries Al, better two answers than none at all!  ;D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal