Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pere Ubu melodeon player  (Read 1122 times)

robinbid

Pere Ubu melodeon player
« on: April 19, 2017, 06:49:03 PM »

In my job brewing beer, to pass the time, I usually listen to music on my iPod. Today I decided to have a Pere Ubu fest - an American and rather avant garde band from the 70s/80s - 82 tracks to last me through the day. I noticed some interesting melodeon playing on the album The Tenement Year. Looking it up this evening, who was it, but the one and only John Kirkpatrick. What a rocker that chap is......

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
Re: Pere Ubu melodeon player
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 07:11:37 PM »

David Thomas (singer - Pere Ubu) is one of my favourite melodeon players. Google David Tomas and the two pale Boys for more cool stuff. Visit the Ubu site for background  http://www.ubuprojex.com/pbs.html .
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Huw Adamson

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 11:48:50 PM »

I know the playing you mean, I'm very surprised to hear it's JK himself
And the sharks they played melodeon

Grape Ape

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 12:56:30 AM »

First I have to say what a great and noble profession you find yourself in- sorry I had to say it- I have great respect and appreciation for your craft!    :|glug

I used to listen to Pere Ubu back in high school in the late eighties.  I am sure I have this album in the "are you really still keeping these" box of old cassette tapes.  I somehow forgot this band over time- probably starting around the advent of cd players...  Don't remember the melodeon being in there, but of course back then I didn't know what one was and I'd have been paying more attention to the drums.  Thanks for reintroducing me to this.

KLR

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 02:06:05 AM »

Used to be an Ubuite myself, had no idea JK was in there.  George Had a Hat Had a Hat Had a Hat Had a Hat Had a Hat

They were big Richard Thompson fans from the beginning - RT/Fairport was how I became interested in Irish music and piping, so not too shocking they'd recruit John at some point. 

robinbid

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 08:58:56 AM »

David Thomas (singer - Pere Ubu) is one of my favourite melodeon players. Google David Tomas and the two pale Boys for more cool stuff. Visit the Ubu site for background  http://www.ubuprojex.com/pbs.html .

Thanks for the link Mike. He also plays trombone, which is my other instrument. A quick listen on youtube and it's fascinating. I look forward to a serious listen when I get the time.
cheers, Robin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal