Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pere Ubu melodeon player  (Read 210 times)

robinbid

Pere Ubu melodeon player
« on: April 19, 2017, 06:49:03 PM »

In my job brewing beer, to pass the time, I usually listen to music on my iPod. Today I decided to have a Pere Ubu fest - an American and rather avant garde band from the 70s/80s - 82 tracks to last me through the day. I noticed some interesting melodeon playing on the album The Tenement Year. Looking it up this evening, who was it, but the one and only John Kirkpatrick. What a rocker that chap is......

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Tritone G/C/B, One Row in D
    • Berking Mad Ceilidh Band
Re: Pere Ubu melodeon player
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 07:11:37 PM »

David Thomas (singer - Pere Ubu) is one of my favourite melodeon players. Google David Tomas and the two pale Boys for more cool stuff. Visit the Ubu site for background  http://www.ubuprojex.com/pbs.html .
Human speech is like a cracked kettle on which we tap crude rhythms for bears to dance to, while we long to make music that will melt the stars.

Huw Adamson

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 11:48:50 PM »

I know the playing you mean, I'm very surprised to hear it's JK himself
And the sharks they played melodeon

Grape Ape

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 12:56:30 AM »

First I have to say what a great and noble profession you find yourself in- sorry I had to say it- I have great respect and appreciation for your craft!    :|glug

I used to listen to Pere Ubu back in high school in the late eighties.  I am sure I have this album in the "are you really still keeping these" box of old cassette tapes.  I somehow forgot this band over time- probably starting around the advent of cd players...  Don't remember the melodeon being in there, but of course back then I didn't know what one was and I'd have been paying more attention to the drums.  Thanks for reintroducing me to this.
BbEb Saphir, BbEb Hohner III BS, CF Ouveture V,  Dick Richards Pointe Noire (in A of all things), CF Preciosa, AD Presswood, CF Club Model II, and probably a couple I forgot

KLR

• Kevin Rietmann
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 02:06:05 AM »

Used to be an Ubuite myself, had no idea JK was in there.  George Had a Hat Had a Hat Had a Hat Had a Hat Had a Hat

They were big Richard Thompson fans from the beginning - RT/Fairport was how I became interested in Irish music and piping, so not too shocking they'd recruit John at some point. 

robinbid

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 08:58:56 AM »

David Thomas (singer - Pere Ubu) is one of my favourite melodeon players. Google David Tomas and the two pale Boys for more cool stuff. Visit the Ubu site for background  http://www.ubuprojex.com/pbs.html .

Thanks for the link Mike. He also plays trombone, which is my other instrument. A quick listen on youtube and it's fascinating. I look forward to a serious listen when I get the time.
cheers, Robin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.