Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How bad is it, Doctor?  (Read 2233 times)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
How bad is it, Doctor?
« on: May 03, 2017, 02:00:45 PM »

Playing my very much enjoyed Serafini and recording lots of tunes has highlighted something that either gives me wanderlust or requires skill development.
I've noticed that the recording set up I'm using (directly into camera with an external mic) requires some holding back of volume. I'm not naturally a full bloodied belter anyway, but when I hold back further I sometimes have to wait for the reeds to speak - especially on bellows reversal. There are no problems as such with any individual notes and I don't believe the instrument could be improved in response - it is well set up, and frequently in the hands of a fine fettler for tweaks. Reed blocks also went back home for some balance restoration in chambers which has worked really well.
However, reading Jack Humphreys' comments on his rhythm improving with a fast responding reed set up does make me think that my playing would also benefit from higher reed quality.
I think the Serafini has Antonelli reeds. Am I going to find that there is something which speaks noticeably better, is it that more anticipation is needed, that I'm playing too quietly, etc.
In other words: is it me, my box, the melodeon in general or a combination of all 3.
If you have a look at the latest video upload Delicq's Boots, you should see what I mean about response lag, especially in the A section, both times through.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

arty

Re: How bad is it, Doctor?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »

I think you are talking yourself in to the purchase of a Clement Guais  >:E
The Doctor, I am sure, would tell you that you are going a bit MAD!

As you know, I don't really know what I am talking about but I do have a similar problem when I am practicing at home. Because I live in a flat, I have to play as quietly as I can and sometimes the reeds are slow to speak. So my advice, in order to rectify this, can only be to play a little louder.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 02:39:57 PM »

If you want the ultimate response at low volume then the reeds could benefit from some fine adjustment.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 03:03:03 PM »

Yes - what Theo said. It should improve things for you.

I think the Serafini has Antonelli reeds.

Antonelli reeds are good quality, up there with the best, so they should give you a very good response when properly set up. However if your instrument is fairly new, perhaps 10 years or less, I suspect the reeds might be Voci Armoniche (equally good) rather than Antonelli. VA was formed as a result of a merger of Antonelli and Salpa reed makers.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

playandteach

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 04:30:39 PM »

Steve', you might be right on the reeds, that rings a bell. They really aren't bad, but I do notice a lag at low pressure.
Arty, it might be on my wish list, but it may have to wait years - and I'd have to sell everything like the Sander and the Serafini first - a big risk, because the Serafini is fine really, it's just...

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 08:09:55 PM »

If you are seriously considering a Guais, Clément told me when I bought mine that the only reeds he uses are Binci Professional a mano. He felt that nothing matches their responsiveness and the box he made for me backs up his argument.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

diatonix

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 03:55:47 PM »

Binci together with Artigiana Voci are certainly in a league of their own. Qualitywise, neither Cagnoni nor Voci Armoniche reach quite up to their level.

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 08:53:16 AM »

Comparing the Binci reeds on my Clem 12  with the Castagnari-style  (V.A./ Antonelli) on my Loffet Pro:
Responsiveness and attack is certainly amazing with the Binci, though sound is less sweet than Casta.

The Binci L reeds are amazingly powerful and lovely tone, and the lower M reeds are good.  But at the moment, I'm finding the higher M reeds relatively weak in volume, and not so nice in tone as on the Loffet. This is on a CF.  I expect that the basic design is optimised for the GC which is generally lower in pitch, so without my higher notes. I'm also finding the basses a bit dominant, so best to stick some gaffer tape over some bass holes when playing solo.  Good for groupwork, when the only bass line though.

I'm still getting used to the transition from many years with the Loffet, so I have to find ways of playing that work best with the Guais.
It could also help to have a bit wetter swing, as some of the MM notes are entirely dry: the tuned difference is so small that the reeds fall in sync with each.  Mike Rowbotham has an answer I believe.

playandteach

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 09:04:47 AM »

Thanks for the info. I do like the sound of the one I play, but just want to avoid those moments when I have to tease the note out when it hasn't quite made it.
That's all good to know about the Binci reeds, as it would be the GC I'd be looking at (of course we all understand that this is way down the road, when the mortgage is paid off and the kids have jobs etc).
The solo thing is never going to happen, so I'll leave the gaffer tape alone.
When my reed blocks went back to Marc Serafini for a balance issue with the top notes he certainly returned them with marked improvement, so it might well be a chamber size thing if your upper notes are weak.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 09:11:32 AM »

Comparing reed makes in two different makes of boxes needs to take account of the fact that the differences in design of the boxes accounts for some of the differences you hear.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

diatonix

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 07:26:20 PM »

I quite agree with Theo. Moreover, I cannot remember ever coming across one virgin set of reeds, be they from Binci or Artigiana, where I didn't  make minor or in a few cases even major adjustments (f.ex. setting a desired gap, in accordance with my own personal preferences). My personal choice of what kind of valves to use and in what manner may also have a noticeable influence on the sound perceived by the player.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal