Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: wtb C# D reeds  (Read 3957 times)

bonenfant

• Good talker
wtb C# D reeds
« on: April 24, 2017, 03:37:26 PM »

Hi
Sometimes ago, someone was looking for quality reeds and he received a company name in Czechoslovakia. Could anyone tell me that name again please ?
The best of luck to you.
Robert

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: wtb C# D reeds
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 04:19:46 PM »

http://www.harmonikas.cz/en

But steer clear of their cheapest reeds, you only get what you pay for.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

bonenfant

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 04:25:30 PM »

Thanks Theo for the good advice. I'll listen to it.

Michael Driscoll

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 09:02:59 PM »

Thanks Theo for the good advice. I'll listen to it.

Their dearest quoted I think were called DIX but I don't know what that means.

blafleur

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 10:43:40 PM »

The Dix are copies of the old Saxony reeds like that found in the old German accordions pre WWII.  They did a very good job of doing just that, you can even get them on zinc plates. I've installed and tuned just 2 sets, but based on those 2 sets (definitely not a comprehensive test) I would consider them good reeds and a big improvement over the old Saxony reeds they are copying, but do not quite have the response as the new hand made Italian reeds. They have a beautiful rich tone that I really like, and I put one set in my personal accordion. I've heard good things about their hand made reeds, but have not tried them yet.  Just putting in an order for a couple trial sets tomorrow.  I've also heard good things about their bellows.  Compared to Italian reeds and bellows, their prices are very good. 

bonenfant

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 03:25:23 PM »

The question I should have asked first is this one : Is an Hohner pre 2815 worth of putting expensive reeds into ? Because this is what I want to put them in. The rest of the box is top shape. Will I get a big improvement, little or maybe none ?

triskel

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 12:15:46 AM »

The question I should have asked first is this one : Is an Hohner pre 2815 worth of putting expensive reeds into ? Because this is what I want to put them in. The rest of the box is top shape. Will I get a big improvement, little or maybe none ?

Personally, I wouldn't want an old Hohner (and a box would have to be more than 80 years old to be a "pre-2815" model, whatever that means) that didn't have old Hohner reeds in it. I think the old reeds (especially the ones on zinc plates) sound superb in them, whilst the reeds they used up until the late 1920s were generally Dix ones anyway.

I know of players who, having been convinced that "modern" reeds are somehow superior, have ruined fine old boxes (including a well-known Irish-American player with a grey Paolo Soprani) by replacing their old reeds with "top-quality" new ones and ruined the sound of their instruments.  :(

In fact I recently parted with a beautiful, top-quality, Binci-reeded, Cajun 4-stopper that was made for me, because my 1920's, Dix-reeded, Globe "Gold Medal" sounded at least as good, and had even more character.

You may well find that one of the fettlers might have old Hohner reeds that could be used to convert the box to C#/D, or somebody might even trade them for the original reeds that came out of it...

bonenfant

• Good talker
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 12:44:11 AM »

Hi Triskel
Actually my Hohner has been converted to C# D. It's own D row  plus a C row lifted to C#. The problem is that it has a very tiny sound. The grace notes on the high end are almost abcent. And believe me, the man who tuned it, knows what he does. I'm just looking for a bigger sound that's all. My other one is also and old 2815 in B C and has a better sound. I don't know if both are pre 2815 or not, but they don't have the metal corners, the perloid goes all around. I think they're pretty old and this is why I keep them.

waltzman

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 02:14:24 PM »

I have a new set of C#/D Hohner reeds for Erica mounted on blocks.

triskel

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 02:19:47 PM »

Hi Triskel
Actually my Hohner has been converted to C# D. It's own D row  plus a C row lifted to C#. The problem is that it has a very tiny sound. The grace notes on the high end are almost abcent. And believe me, the man who tuned it, knows what he does. I'm just looking for a bigger sound that's all. My other one is also and old 2815 in B C and has a better sound.

Then something is badly amiss with your C#/D. My own 1930's 2-voice Hohner (a No. 3515) was repitched up from C/C# to C#/D by Nils Nielsen and it has a strong, bright sound, with lots of punch, and an excellent response - it's a great box, and yours should be too!

Have you tried putting the C#/D blocks into the B/C body, to see how they sound in that one?

Have the pallets been refaced, or has the button travel been limited?

Are the reeds stamped H or T, and are they on zinc or aluminium plates?

I don't know if both are pre 2815 or not, but they don't have the metal corners, the perloid goes all around. I think they're pretty old and this is why I keep them.

Hohner only started to use pearloid about 1929-30, but those first models had the metal ("Stradella") corners and domed buttons with screws through the middle of them. Models without the metal corners started to become available in the 1930s, mostly at the end of that decade. (Some photos might be a big help.)

bonenfant

• Good talker
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 05:47:04 PM »

Hi
Yes I tried the blocks in the BC and they are shorter. Some adjustment should be made to secure the blocks well with no air leaks.

bonenfant

• Good talker
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 05:48:37 PM »

I have a new set of C#/D Hohner reeds for Erica mounted on blocks.
Well I couldn't remove Hohner reeds to replace them with other Hohner reeds. I want a bigger sound.

bonenfant

• Good talker
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 05:51:28 PM »

Hi Triskel
Actually my Hohner has been converted to C# D. It's own D row  plus a C row lifted to C#. The problem is that it has a very tiny sound. The grace notes on the high end are almost abcent. And believe me, the man who tuned it, knows what he does. I'm just looking for a bigger sound that's all. My other one is also and old 2815 in B C and has a better sound.

Then something is badly amiss with your C#/D. My own 1930's 2-voice Hohner (a No. 3515) was repitched up from C/C# to C#/D by Nils Nielsen and it has a strong, bright sound, with lots of punch, and an excellent response - it's a great box, and yours should be too!

Have you tried putting the C#/D blocks into the B/C body, to see how they sound in that one?

Have the pallets been refaced, or has the button travel been limited?

Are the reeds stamped H or T, and are they on zinc or aluminium plates?

I don't know if both are pre 2815 or not, but they don't have the metal corners, the perloid goes all around. I think they're pretty old and this is why I keep them.

Hohner only started to use pearloid about 1929-30, but those first models had the metal ("Stradella") corners and domed buttons with screws through the middle of them. Models without the metal corners started to become available in the 1930s, mostly at the end of that decade. (Some photos might be a big help.)
I'm sure you're right. When this one was A/D it had a low volume and it stayed like that after it was changed to C# D.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 06:59:50 PM »

A fairly common cause of this sort of problem is badly fitted reed blocks.  They need to be a snug fit at both ends, and not have any warp on the base board so there is a good fit along the full length of the block, and with the vents in th blocks well aligned with the holes in the base board. Warped base boards are not uncommon on older Hohners.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

bonenfant

• Good talker
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 07:06:21 PM »

A fairly common cause of this sort of problem is badly fitted reed blocks.  They need to be a snug fit at both ends, and not have any warp on the base board so there is a good fit along the full length of the block, and with the vents in th blocks well aligned with the holes in the base board. Warped base boards are not uncommon on older Hohners.
You may well have just found the problem. I'll check. Thanks.

mselic

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 08:55:58 PM »

In fact I recently parted with a beautiful, top-quality, Binci-reeded, Cajun 4-stopper that was made for me, because my 1920's, Dix-reeded, Globe "Gold Medal" sounded at least as good, and had even more character.

That wouldn't be your Acadian by chance, would it??
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

triskel

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 11:12:25 AM »

In fact I recently parted with a beautiful, top-quality, Binci-reeded, Cajun 4-stopper that was made for me...

That wouldn't be your Acadian by chance, would it??

Sadly, yes.

It was a wonderful instrument, but I've been getting more into vintage 2-row Italian button boxes the last few years and it wasn't getting used enough to justify keeping, whilst the Globe "Gold Medal" (though heading for 100 years old, and getting a bit fragile) will more than satisfy any urges I might have to play a 4-stopper - and it just goes to show how great those old Globe, Sterling, Monarch, etc. melodeons really were!

You can't keep them all!  :(

triskel

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 11:24:23 AM »

That's why my number one question was "Have you tried putting the C#/D blocks into the B/C body, to see how they sound in that one?"

There may be nothing at all wrong with the reeds you've already got...

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 11:32:42 AM »

And believe me, the man who tuned it, knows what he does. I'm just looking for a bigger sound that's all.

If your man is on top of his game he should have noticed this type of problem.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

bonenfant

• Good talker
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 04:02:54 PM »

That's why my number one question was "Have you tried putting the C#/D blocks into the B/C body, to see how they sound in that one?"

There may be nothing at all wrong with the reeds you've already got...
Yes I tried that the first day I received the accordion. The blocks are differents size in lenth and I don't know accordion 'luterie' enough to fit them.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal