Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Session Etiquette  (Read 31344 times)

Howard Jones

Re: Session Etiquette
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 07:19:31 PM »

Sessions can be great for a beginner, both to learn new tunes and to develop technique and confidence on the instrument.  The thing to do is sit on the edge of the session, and join in quietly (it is possible, even with a melodeon).  Play the bits you can, and skip those you can't, just keep up with the others.   The important thing is to make sure that your attempts to play don't interfere with the tune and annoy the other musicians.

If you're invited to start a tune, and you feel ready for it, then do so but otherwise keep your head down. 

After a while you should have picked up some of the tunes, and be more confident.  Then you can start to assert yourself more, but a little at a time.

Most sessions in my experience are encouraging to novices and will give them a chance to join in. Admittedly, some do have their heads up their own @rses, but those sessions are best avoided - learn your skills at more welcoming sessions, then when you're good enough go back and blow them away!

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 07:56:43 PM »

1. I don't know the tunes, and personally can think of nothing more boring than listening to people playing diddley-diddley stuff all night long.

In that case everyone will be happy if you stay away...  :D

Seriously... I'm not suggesting that sheet music is best left behind for the sake of knocking out anybody's stuffing. I'd advise LDT or any other beginner to go to their local session a few times to listen, and make a note of or (if nobody objects) record the tunes that are played, and then work on them at home (with or without sheet music) before coming back and, as others have suggested, discreetly joining the circle. You don't have to be able to perform tunes flawlessly to join in after all.

cw67q

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 08:33:39 PM »

If you are really nervous leave your instrument at home on the first night, or in the car if you have one.
introduce yourself during a quiet moment to one of the players after a while, or when they go to the bar or for a ciggie.
MAybe go over and sit in and see if you like the company. If the people seem freindly types whose company you would enjoy, then come back and join in. If they strike you as unlikeable for some reason unfreindly/competitive/cliquish then give it a miss.

You can probably assess how friendly the session is by just observing before you introduce yourself.

If you aren't going to enjoy being in the company of a particulr group of sessioneers then don't put yourself through that exprience.

For me a session is a night out with friends. Some weeks there might be big gaps between tunes when everyone just chills or catches up with old friends. it can also be a welcoming environment in which to make new friends (but is sometimes quite the opposite).

of course if you live in an area with few opportunities for sessions then there will be less choice of where and when to play. In areas where there are fewer session opportunities sometimes the folks gathered together don't have much in common other than the session night, this feels a little odd to me as my regular session is one outgrowth from the local trad music community and many of the regulars are mates outside of the session, guys I'd maybe go to see a football match with, or ask to help me move house, or see everyweek at the CCE etc. I think this makes for a more laid back session, which I like.  It can be difficult to have the same sense of community when you only ever get together for the session. I like to think our session is feindly to visitors and new comers, that the out of session familiarity creates a hospitinle environement rather than a cliquish one (and I'm pretty sure it does). Certainly the opposite can also occur witha small tightnit group of friends resenting outsiders. And really whlist that can be unpleasnt for visitors, and isn't how I like to go about life, who can begrudge folks their ways. Not everyone wants to welcome strangers to their table in the pub, and why should session musicians be any different from the genral population?

I sometimes notice that people who originally come from somewhere where their is a dearth of sessions can get more uptight if their is a lot of chat rather than tunes. I think it is a legacy of only having rare chances to play tunes with like minded folk.

I've wandered completely OT, sorry. It has been a trying day  :(.

Hope your session experience goes well.

- Chris

PS I just noticed that this is apparently my first post. I thought i'd posted before but may be getting confused with the c&f freereed board.
If I haven't posted before "hello everyone". If I have then apologies I may have inadvertently created two accounts (I mostly just lurk)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 08:39:36 PM by cw67q »

HallelujahAl

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 09:04:51 PM »

In that case everyone will be happy if you stay away...
I'm sure that's the case!

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 09:07:13 PM »

Ive found a nice local beginners session (only on i could get to that doesnt involve a 2 hour journey) and found it friendly and helpful. They go slowly and play tunes from a book so ive got a chance. Its nice that most appear to be new to their instruments so we are all in a similar position.

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 09:09:48 PM »

I've noticed over the last few years the increasing tendency in both sessions and singarounds (especially those aimed at beginners) for both singers and musicians normally to turn up with thick books of songs and tunes.  Never used to happen!

I've played (depped) guitar and bass for some Dance Bands that use fly s**t - it's not easy when they know which way up, down and across the page (forwards backwards and sideways) they are going - especially when it is semi-legible photocopies of poor hand scoring.

So you read the key signatures and busk...

tiny

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 10:15:15 PM »

Ive found a nice local beginners session (only on i could get to that doesnt involve a 2 hour journey) and found it friendly and helpful. They go slowly and play tunes from a book so ive got a chance. Its nice that most appear to be new to their instruments so we are all in a similar position.

Sounds a great place to play.  (:)

We have more singarounds than sessions and some use notation some don't.  It is quite stressful waiting for your turn which is sometimes 40mins  and you only get one chance at your tune then its the next person, I don't feel that I have time to settle into anything. It sort of put me off going.
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 10:47:48 PM »

I seem to remember from a previous thread that LDT nearly had to be bullied into getting herself along to a session. I don't think we should now be discouraging her by telling her that she isn't ready!
If it's the done thing to play from the dots at your session, LDT, then that's great...carry on! Eventually you will learn to do without them (hopefully!). It's still worth having a go at picking up by ear the tunes the others are playing, though. If you  just play quietly, trying to find the notes, nobody will hear you, even though you might think they will.

The original question was about festival sessions. In general, everybody is equal at a festival session, and there are no "regulars" to introduce yourself to, as everybody is just along for the festival. Sidmouth of course has some established sessions with their own traditions eg no Irish in the Radway. Apart from that, the thing is to just get yourself in there (not always easy!), find a seat (even more difficult), and just join in when you can. Chances are no-one will take any notice of you, and you won't need to lead a tune unless you want to. If you find they are playing stuff that is totally alien to you, you can just walk out again and find an alternative....or come back later, when there might be a whole different bunch of people playing totally different sorts of tunes.

Edited to add..

We have more singarounds than sessions and some use notation some don't.  It is quite stressful waiting for your turn which is sometimes 40mins  and you only get one chance at your tune then its the next person, I don't feel that I have time to settle into anything. It sort of put me off going.

Quite agree. For me, that isn't a proper session, and I avoid them as well.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:51:42 PM by ganderbox »
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

TomB-R

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 11:14:33 PM »

Best of luck LDT, no one here means to be unkind, least of all Steve, BUT
"Conventional" session playing is surely about playing tunes by ear and picking them up by ear.  If that's not the way one works, fine, there are lots of other ways of playing with other people, but a session, (in the conventional sense) that isn't.

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 12:18:07 AM »

I've never played in or seen a session of any kind, so can't really comment about that.  However, as far as reading music goes, I'd certainly encourage LDT to reconsider the way that she's using written notation, not just for the benefit of session playing, but for playing in general.  Personally, I've spent most of my life playing from the 'dots', mostly in brass bands, where you're expected to sight read to a high level.  When I started with the melodeon, I naturally wanted to do the same thing, but pretty soon found it wasn't quiet as simple as that.  Trying to work out basses, bellows direction and fingering alternatives is, to my mind, just too much to think about as you're going along - particularly with fast tunes or those in less obvious keys.  As such, I quickly came to the conclusion that my melodeon playing was going to be accomplished from memory and/or by 'ear'.  Although this felt a bit alien to begin with, I think I soon accepted it as being the way that things need to be done.

Of course, in cases where I start with a tune book or internet printout, I still use the music to figure out what the tune actually is.  But even then, I might use a different instrument for that first stage - one that's easier to sight read with.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 06:50:10 AM »

I've been to a few sessions and certainly would agree with everyone who's said to get away from relying on sheet music as soon as possible. I've played from 'dots' for more than 20 of my 30 years and had a mild onset of panic when I first played 'folk' stuff and they forbade me from immediately scribbling down what I was learning so I could practice it. Now I'm glad they did because the tunes I learnt are completely ingrained. It also gave me a better understanding of my instrument (pre-melodeon!!). And once you start playing tunes by ear and working out the intervals and what note is where, it's generally easier to pick up new tunes in sessions because you're more familiar with your instrument. Vicious circle? (No that's not a description of the sessions!)

As for the actual sessions, the ones I've been to have had the 'leader' which tends to be the person who got off their backside and organised it. They're generally responsible for moving things on, making sure anyone who wants to lead in something or do a floor spot gets a chance. I've been to sessions where it goes around the room in order and you just keep your head down if you don't want to start a tune or I've been to ones where you say beforehand if you want a go. A session is only as good as the people who are there. Bad sessions could be because you have 15 fiddle players and a ukelele but sometimes it's really hard to tell what the recipe for a good session is. I suppose generally ones where there are a few people who know a LOT of tunes. That way it can flow from one to another.

So LDT, I'd recommend getting away from the dots. You said in another thread that you play tunes that are stuck in your head? Do you write these down first or play from what you remember? It's a slow process playing by ear on a new instrument (as I'm finding this week - can it really be less than a week???!!) but it's certainly worth it in the long run. And it's an aural tradition, innit?!!!

Tiny, I think everyone else has covered it. If you don't want to start a tune either tell someone before hand or duck down low in your seat when it comes to your turn!

(:)

euterpe
Excuse the epic, meandering post. Only 12 minutes until it's late enough for me to start practising and I'm rather excited! :|||:

joe

• Regular debater
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 07:55:49 AM »

eg no Irish in the Radway. 

I thought that was outlawed?

My best session advice is make friends with the landlord, get to know those involved, then the music will look after itself.

TonyRussellDavis

• Tony Russell Davis (Black Sheep Tone/BLT)
  • Regular debater
  • Mandos'n'guitars'n'boxes'n'pipes'n'stuff.
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 08:49:43 AM »

"Bad sessions could be because you have 15 fiddle players and a ukelele....."

Now, 15 ukuleles and one fiddle ..... oh, joy! Tony :D

PS - I mean it! ;D
Call if you're ever in North Yorkshire.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 08:59:35 AM »

I've noticed over the last few years the increasing tendency in both sessions and singarounds (especially those aimed at beginners) for both singers and musicians normally to turn up with thick books of songs and tunes.  Never used to happen!
your just jelous...you want your own book don't you? ;) :P

I seem to remember from a previous thread that LDT nearly had to be bullied into getting herself along to a session. I don't think we should now be discouraging her by telling her that she isn't ready!
If it's the done thing to play from the dots at your session, LDT, then that's great...carry on! Eventually you will learn to do without them (hopefully!). It's still worth having a go at picking up by ear the tunes the others are playing, though. If you  just play quietly, trying to find the notes, nobody will hear you, even though you might think they will.
I don't want to be the person with the haunted look in the corner with melodeon in hand just sitting there unable to join in....that is not fun.
I like having the 'dots' in front of me it allows me to join in and enjoy myself.
I don't even 'read' the dots in the sense everyone else does. I use them to see the patterns and give a clue to the buttons so I know that dot on the middle line is repeated so I can listen for that and do that note. I get how to play it from what hear.

Now I'm glad they did because the tunes I learnt are completely ingrained. It also gave me a better understanding of my instrument (pre-melodeon!!). And once you start playing tunes by ear and working out the intervals and what note is where, it's generally easier to pick up new tunes in sessions because you're more familiar with your instrument. Vicious circle? (No that's not a description of the sessions!)

Think is I'm not familiar with my instrument..or any other...music comes very hard to me it takes a lot of concentration. And I actually know very little tunes.

So LDT, I'd recommend getting away from the dots. You said in another thread that you play tunes that are stuck in your head? Do you write these down first or play from what you remember? It's a slow process playing by ear on a new instrument (as I'm finding this week - can it really be less than a week???!!) but it's certainly worth it in the long run. And it's an aural tradition, innit?!!!
It usually takes me days to get something 'by ear' and that's just nursary rhymes. I'd give a session that was just nursary rhymes I go without the dots...but I've never heard of a session like that.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 09:11:02 AM »

It usually takes me days to get something 'by ear' and that's just nursary rhymes. I'd give a session that was just nursary rhymes I go without the dots...but I've never heard of a session like that.

I do that - I run a 'Music Tots' group in my church each week and I take in all sorts of instruments including my box and get the kids & parents/carers to play and sing nursery rhymes, action songs etc. It's great fun. The kids love the melodeon and always want to play it. So I've started taking in a couple of toy melodeons too so that the tots can join in. It's loadsa fun - and encouraging music and rhythm at an early age. Shame you're not in my area - you could come in and play your box to the best and most encouraging, and discerning, audience in the whole wide world! ! ;D
AL

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 09:14:48 AM »

I do that - I run a 'Music Tots' group in my church each week and I take in all sorts of instruments including my box and get the kids & parents/carers to play and sing nursery rhymes, action songs etc. It's great fun. The kids love the melodeon and always want to play it. So I've started taking in a couple of toy melodeons too so that the tots can join in. It's loadsa fun - and encouraging music and rhythm at an early age. Shame you're not in my area - you could come in and play your box to the best and most encouraging, and discerning, audience in the whole wide world! ! ;D
maybe I should start one....when I was away last weekend there was a baby on the campsite who used to gurgle happily every time I played bobbie shaftoe. lol!

And I do know a couple of kids (my sisters friends younger siblings - for some reason I always end up looking after them- who might be interested).

HallelujahAl

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 09:25:27 AM »

And I do know a couple of kids (my sisters friends younger siblings - for some reason I always end up looking after them- who might be interested).
Go for it!
 ;D

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 12:14:18 PM »

LDT

You didn't say which end the child started burbling at!

Nigel

Chris Brimley

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 05:10:23 PM »

This thread started with a very good question:

'Is there such a thing as session etiquette?  I think there probably is and I'm not sure what it is.'

In my view (for what it's worth), I think the answer is that a good session is about musos who respect others for what they contribute, without trying to impose their own musical ideas on them.   I'm sorry to say that there are musicians in the world (such as in the Irish or the English world, but there are many other scenes) who think that tradition is about conformity rather than the diversity and interest of culture and history.  That unfortunately is their problem, and it should not be ours.

Ian Anderson of the wonderful World Music mag fRoots has been banging on about this for ages, and his views deserve a wider audience.

I have fairly recently set up a session called the 'Free Music Session', at a rural pub in North End, Essex, called the Butchers Arms.  I've enjoyed folk sessions for many years (probably more so than concerts), and can't see why that basic idea can't be applied to other forms of music, such as classical, blues, rock, jazz, etc.  (Although I accept that sometimes the practicality of amplification can get in the way.)  So that's what I'm trying to do, and everyone is welcome to come along, whether folkies or not!

The difficulty I've found is trying to stop 'self-selection' - often people feel that they don't fit in, because they sense that everybody wants to play a different style of music from their own.  So they don't come along to the session again.  If I could say to everybody who is worried that their contribution won't fit in:  'But that's the whole point of doing it!', then I would, but for some reason it's difficult for that message to get through.

I'm worried that many diato lovers on this forum have a slightly exclusive view of what our particular instrument is all about - We need to join the music mainstream, or the box will marginalise itself - singers, violinists, whistle players, guitarists, and so on, all have their own perfectly reasonable input into music - so don't let's get too cliquey.

Chris Brimley

HallelujahAl

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 05:17:27 PM »

I'm worried that many diato lovers on this forum have a slightly exclusive view of what our particular instrument is all about - We need to join the music mainstream, or the box will marginalise itself - singers, violinists, whistle players, guitarists, and so on, all have their own perfectly reasonable input into music - so don't let's get too cliquey.

Good point well made Chris.
AL
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal