Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Session Etiquette  (Read 31347 times)

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
Re: Session Etiquette
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2011, 01:14:56 PM »

Ah, cat-herding.  It relies on the relevant people knowing they are the relevant people, the relevant people knowing what they want the rules to be and lastly, but most importantly, the other musicians and lookers on agreeing with this.

I think this video sums it up. If cowboys struggle what chance have melodeon players got ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2011, 08:30:28 PM »

Hi Gang
  Here in Cambridge Ontario  we have a bi weekly english session..yes english ..theres an irish session at the same pub on our off weeks..dots are allowed , in fact we have our own session book that new folks can buy cheaply and learn some of the stuff within.beginners are welcomed , we have everyone from old farts like me to a 10 yr old fiddle playing demon ;),and weve been told that we are a very friendly session ..if you are ever in our neck of the woods ..drop on in we can always use more toaster players ..theres only 2 of us at present

You might like to PM Zabrina26, she's in Ontario and just bought a Lilly - why not invite her to your session?

Rob.

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2011, 09:15:37 PM »

Ah, cat-herding.  It relies on the relevant people knowing they are the relevant people, the relevant people knowing what they want the rules to be and lastly, but most importantly, the other musicians and lookers on agreeing with this.

I think this video sums it up. If cowboys struggle what chance have melodeon players got ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

I used to work for the company that made this video. I used to herd cats and make airplanes while they are in flight (the subject of another video like this one made for the Super Bowl). Trouble is nobody knew what we actually did!  I've retired now.

Howard
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:15:20 AM by Howard Mitchell »
Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

PaulM

• Saltarelle Nuage Excelsior Mini
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2011, 09:47:10 AM »

Thanks Rob  form her profile pic shes a member of Forest City Morris ..which makes things easy :) ill see if i can contact her
  thanks again

PaulM

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2012, 05:11:13 AM »

Hi Folks ..the world just got smaller , i met Zabrina26 tonight ..she showed up at an 12th night event with an old freind of mine,told her about the sessions ..and thaty id be more than happy to show her some tunage ..so shes going to come to some of our sessions ..and all is right with the world, ..astonishing how things work sometimes...

Rob2Hook

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2012, 01:11:17 PM »

Glad to hear you've made contact.  Yes, Zabs dances with Forest City.  When she gets to the session, please say hello to the Lilly she bought from me - a Christmas present to herself, nice to get something you want!

Rob.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »

......If you're a visitor to a new session then you run the risk of raising hackles as being a smart @rse who is showing off.

:(  a while ago I went to one session for the first time, invited by a regular attendee to who'd heard me playing elswhere,  waited my turn ( sing/playaround ) and when it came played a set that was a 'standard' at my usual session ........ no-one joined in so I cut it short, the audience had liked it and were complimentary but the organiser gave a dismissive sneer  and said loudly  " Well that's the party pieces out of the way
   ........  crushed wasn't the word for it  :-[   ..... felt about 1" tall and have never been back  :(

On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Rob2Hook

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2012, 02:28:14 PM »

That's the reply from an organizer who can't play as well as the others!

Take it as a complement and blow him away.

Rob.

PaulM

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2012, 03:08:28 PM »

Its really uncalled for , saying something of that nature..what can you possibly hope to gain from it??alienate enough people and guess what ..you dont have a session anymore, id be inclined to go back and play some more of my *partypieces* just to annoy him .

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2012, 03:11:14 PM »

Anlej, that was a nasty way to treat a newcomer and I hope it would never happen at any session I'm involved with. Even if it had been a "party piece" (and as a newcomer you couldn't have known what would be regarded as such), there's nothing wrong with that.

Living in a tourist area, we quite often get visitors who are in the area on holiday and just come for a one-off visit to a session. I (and I think others too) find it quite refreshing to have people who play or sing something we're not used to hearing - it gets us out of any tendency to find ourselves in a rut, always playing and singing the same old stuff. If we can't join in as much as we'd like to, that's because of our limititations, not theirs.
Marje

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »

I find sessions very difficult if I'm a newcomer. I go to a session in my hometown in the holidays when I can, which I really enjoy but find daunting. Everybody there knows lots of tunes and the repertoire changes hugely every time I go - I generally only know two or three tunes the entire evening. Every time I start a set though nobody knows the tunes and I find it very awkward. Add that to my difficulty with remembering tunes and it gets a bit embarrassing.

If I got that reaction from an organiser then I'd have a right go at them and then play the REAL party tunes, which (for me) are both esoteric in the extreme and impossible to pick up.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2012, 04:07:27 PM »

Having made the comment quoted by anlej, I agree with Rob.
It'll be made by someone who can't cope with your standard of playing.
Keep yer chin up!
.....and I agree, an awful thing to say to a visitor.
Shame on them.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2012, 05:14:37 PM »

Having made the comment quoted by anlej, I agree with Rob.
It'll be made by someone who can't cope with your standard of playing.
Keep yer chin up!
.....and I agree, an awful thing to say to a visitor.
Shame on them.
Q

It's surprising how session tune repertoires can be area-specific -- for example, the tunes that "everyone knows" round here can go down like a lead balloon in Whitby.

But it was still a crass comment  ::)

Ian
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2012, 05:46:47 PM »

If I got that reaction from an organiser then I'd have a right go at them and then play the REAL party tunes, which (for me) are both esoteric in the extreme and impossible to pick up.

it was upsetting at the time, but only for a short while  ;D ... not worth arguing over ...  goodness knows what the reaction would have been to a real party piece  ;D

It's surprising how session tune repertoires can be area-specific -- for example, the tunes that "everyone knows" round here can go down like a lead balloon in Whitby.

Ian

half the fun of going to a session in a new area or someone visiting here is hearing fresh tunes and trying them out  ;D :|||:

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2012, 05:49:20 PM »

it was upsetting at the time, but only for a short while  ;D ... not worth arguing over ...  goodness knows what the reaction would have been to a real party piece  ;D

Ian

half the fun of going to a session in a new area or someone visiting here is hearing fresh tunes and trying them out  ;D :|||:

I agree, but if *nobody* is joining in I do what the OP did and cut the tune short -- that's good session etiquette :-)
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2012, 05:56:26 PM »

I agree, but if *nobody* is joining in I do what the OP did and cut the tune short -- that's good session etiquette :-)

;D I  agree with that too

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2012, 06:35:07 PM »

True when it's literally nobody - there's a fine line between that and the case where a few are quietly trying to pick up the tune and start joining in tentatively third time round  - I've been complained at for not repeating a tune a few times more so they could 'get' it...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2012, 05:20:18 PM »

...there's a fine line between that and the case where a few are quietly trying to pick up the tune and start joining in tentatively third time round...

Yep - found that too. How else do you introduce a "new" tune? Everything has to have had it's debut at some time. What keeps going 'round my head when I read a thread like this is that it's supposed to be a social occasion, not a struggle for domination. Unfortunately of course there are always those who can't resist the temptation to show off - "The Ego Has Landed" as one old friend once put it when somebody went of on a nobody-knows-this-and-anyway-I'm-playing-in-a-key-that-nobody-else-has trip....

Mike
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2012, 05:48:05 PM »

I think you have to be sensitive to the others, as Anahata has referred to.
If they are attentive and obviously twiddling the boxes in an attempt to 'find' the tune then keep going.
If looking at the walls and ceiling somewhat bored, or there's a mass exodus to the loo or bar then quit.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Keithypete.

« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2012, 09:01:03 PM »

I was at a session in a town which straddles the border with Scotland, and as a newcomer was asked to play a couple of. English tunes, by the chap who had invited me, only to be told by the (Scottish)  session leader "There's no much call for that round here ".  Nervous laugh, then nothing. But really I should have accompanied myself whilst singing all three verses of God save the Queen!!! I wish I had.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal