Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5 Mazurkas by Maarten Decombel  (Read 1656 times)

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
5 Mazurkas by Maarten Decombel
« on: May 02, 2017, 04:31:26 PM »

https://youtu.be/XNjOqCx35Mo

This was to help convince me that my favourite Loffet-played mazurkas can work on the Guais.
Realising that a more precise box is less forgiving, and actually harder to play: it exactly exhibits all your mistakes.
Yes, I know I need more metronome. ::)

Dots for four of the tunes are here
http://frenchtuneswiki.wikifoundry.com/page/Mazurkas

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:30:26 PM by Jackhumphreys »

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
Re: 5 Mazurkas by Maarten Decombel
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 05:40:03 PM »

Really good ! Lovely tunes. You don't happen to have the dots for any of these ?

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 06:56:18 PM »

Thanks Jack - looks like Retour de Montaignac is going to lose out for tomorrows tune of the day for me !

J
Old Bones Dance Band

arty

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 07:17:46 PM »

Thanks for posting that recording Jack....my word, doesn't your new box sound wonderful !!!
And you have introduced me to a composer I had never heard of, (Yes, I know I lead a sheltered life!), Maarten Decombel - I shall look out for him.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 08:11:56 PM »

Very nice. I not sure why the Loffet learnt tunes wouldn't work on the Guais (who, if I ever have any spare cash would be top of my list to get a Dony sized box from). Is it keys? I don't have any qualms about playing stuff in the wrong keys, or if it is just whether it sounds too high for comfort, then what I'm hearing on your upload sounds perfectly within pitch comfort.
Well played and thanks for the new tunes.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 10:33:21 PM »

DOTS!

A new reply to Julian, and anyone else wanting to learn the tunes.
Here are the dots for four of the mazurkas, written as for a DG box.  Hope it helps:
http://frenchtuneswiki.wikifoundry.com/page/Mazurkas

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 10:36:17 PM »

Thanks Arty and Pete

Arty, you can hear Maarten in the bands Snaarmaarvaar,  Goze, Mandolinman, Naragonia quartet.  All very wonderful! Snaarmaarvaar have a tunebook you can order.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 12:20:53 AM »

Another beautiful mazurka written by Maarten Decombel is 1/11, which was recorded by him together with Frédéric Paris, Gilles Chabenat and Wim Claeys on the album, Live en Flandre. Since the title on the CD is just written as 1/11, I assume it is pronounced in English as 'One Eleventh' or in French as 'Une Onzième'.

I am a bit busy right now, but I can post the dots in a couple of days time, if anybody is interested. Having said that it is a mazurka, I am not sure whether it is. It is in 3/4 time, but they play the tune very slowly on the CD and it needs speeding up to be used for dancing. We play it as a mazurka, segued with Mazurka de Lanternaire, but Decombel's may not have intended it to be a mazurka.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 08:45:15 AM »

Another beautiful mazurka written by Maarten Decombel is 1/11, which was recorded by him together with Frédéric Paris, Gilles Chabenat and Wim Claeys on the album, Live en Flandre. Since the title on the CD is just written as 1/11, I assume it is pronounced in English as 'One Eleventh' or in French as 'Une Onzième'.

I am a bit busy right now, but I can post the dots in a couple of days time, if anybody is interested. Having said that it is a mazurka, I am not sure whether it is. It is in 3/4 time, but they play the tune very slowly on the CD and it needs speeding up to be used for dancing. We play it as a mazurka, segued with Mazurka de Lanternaire, but Decombel's may not have intended it to be a mazurka.

I am not sure if i heard Maarten tell it once, or if i just made it up, but i thought it should be pronounced "first of november".
And for speed,...mazurka's over here can be VERY slow, so if even at that slow speed, its called very danceable here. :-)
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 03:27:13 PM »

'The First of November' seems more likely as a title than 'one eleventh', but it would be nice to know for sure.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 04:44:35 AM »

I loved these, and decided to feature them on the blog. Thank you Jack!

http://accordeonaire.blogspot.com/2017/05/5-mazurkas-by-decombel.html

Gary
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal