Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Hope!  (Read 2858 times)

sticky fingers

• Tech Guru
  • Regular debater
No Hope!
« on: May 02, 2017, 07:26:22 PM »

Just thrown my box into the nearest skip after watching this! https://youtu.be/2fkU4nGuk2Q where is that shakey egg!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: No Hope!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 08:14:58 PM »

In the Mapp and Lucia books, Lucia pretends to only like the slow movement of the Beethoven sonatas - nicely avoiding her technical limitations. I'm going to make that claim myself in future.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Grape Ape

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 05:36:07 PM »

Wow! That is seriously fantastic playing by both the guitarist and box player.
Videos with playing like that always leave me with contradictory feelings about my own playing and its future....

sticky fingers

• Tech Guru
  • Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 07:15:11 PM »

Wait!, just retrieved my box from the skip, all is not lost!, those pesky kids let their secret slip to that amazing playing at 1.31, on the table, red wine, coke and coco pops!, just nipped down the local supermarket and filled a lorry full! (not that i need any encouragement on the red wine front!) so expect lots of clips of me playing like that in about err, 100 years time!, best wishes,sf.

Sebastian

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 11:08:54 PM »

Not wishing to be contrary but I just wanted to put another point of view.

I forced myself to sit through that to the end. I hate that flashy way of playing and found it really boring to listen to. It is not musical at all, it is merely about the number of notes he can squeeze in to make it as flash as possible. It doesn't even sound like a diatonic accordion, it sounds like a chromatic instrument.

Sorry, I don't find that impressive at all. All technique and no music! Yuck.

Well, there is more to good music than getting the notes out in the right order, and as quickly as possible.

To me this is one example of the Continental style, a wall of notes from an accomplished player who undoubtedly knows his way around his box.

Whilst acknowledging the player as an accomplished player, It's not something I'd allude to or to be honest, like.

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 08:52:46 AM »

Not wishing to be contrary but I just wanted to put another point of view.

I forced myself to sit through that to the end. I hate that flashy way of playing and found it really boring to listen to. It is not musical at all, it is merely about the number of notes he can squeeze in to make it as flash as possible. It doesn't even sound like a diatonic accordion, it sounds like a chromatic instrument.

Sorry, I don't find that impressive at all. All technique and no music! Yuck.

Well, there is more to good music than getting the notes out in the right order, and as quickly as possible.

Whilst acknowledging the player as an accomplished player, It's not something I'd allude to or to be honest, like.
hear hear.

To me this is one example of the Continental style, a wall of notes from an accomplished player who undoubtedly knows his way around his box.
That's funny, i would call this a fine example of why i don't like a lot of Irish playing. ;-D

But yeah, i wish i could play like that, but if i could i wouldnt use my skills like that...
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 09:36:59 AM »

Well, I liked it!  The accordionist was a bit 'off the peg' but that's how they play over there,
and he is very good at it.  I'd have like him to have included a bit more 'silence' (the least used note on the melodeon) - but what he did was true to his tradition. 

van der Aa Box 'noted' - understand Ireland is Frans's' biggest market

Guitar - far more subversive - and in that more interesting. He broke both rhythmic and harmonic 'rules' and that won't be to some people's taste. But that's tonal music for you.

Yes, it'd have been even better a bit slower  ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

911377brian

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 10:47:11 AM »

I suppose there was a tune in there somewhere but it wasn't obvious to me. I'm sure it was jolly clever though....

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 01:32:14 PM »

I admire the skill and undoubted talent. BUT - why play so fast ? I've only dabbled with Irish music over the years - but it's my impression that the speed of playing has increased, and can so easily spoil what can be wonderful music. Is it really traditional to play at that kind of speed ? Presumably style of playing differs quite a bit regionally - my early encounters with Irish box playing were through hearing Jackie Daly - and I even managed some of his tunes at speed. Or maybe I was fitter back then !
Old Bones Dance Band

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 02:52:03 PM »

Those pesky kids let their secret slip to that amazing playing at 1.31, on the table, red wine, coke and coco pops!,

Maybe those who complain that it's too fast should dose themselves up before listening. With a boost to their internal bus speed they might find they like it.  >:E

diatosoldo

• Respected Sage
  • Castagnari Benny, Dino Baffetti 85LN
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/diatosoldo
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 02:59:28 PM »

It doesn't even sound like a diatonic accordion, it sounds like a chromatic instrument.

But is not it  a chromatic irish instrument (probably a BC one) ??
♫ ♪  I'm french ♫ ♪
G/C Castagnari Benny
A/D Dino Baffetti 85LN
A/D Thierry Bennetoux
http://www.youtube.com/user/diatosoldo

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 03:05:30 PM »

I thought it was great, youthful exuberance and musical talent. Us oldies are always criticising the young for playing too fast. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

tirpous

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 03:44:37 PM »

In a way, it reminds me of Simon Thoumire and Ian Carr.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytvMVM67ep8

Phil B

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 05:00:38 PM »

This clip gives me hope, for the future of live music in the skilled hands  and enthusiasm of young players like this.  Great to listen to

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 06:25:52 PM »

I tend to agree with Theo as to youthful exuberance, but it doesn't really do that much for me.
It starts off with President Garfields Hornpipe, roughly, underneath the improvisation, then I got lost.
It used to be a concertina favourite for me but the B music has a really awkward fingering jump on a DG so it's going on the back burner for a while.
I must add, my attempts are infinitely slower!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 06:32:07 PM »

On another note: the Van der Aa seems to be remarkably responsive to allow that speed of playing.
Always fancied having a go on a 2 row DG but so far haven't bumped into one!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

stevejay

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 02:42:47 PM »

Guitar got in the way.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2017, 03:30:38 PM »

Guitar got in the way.

Yes, sound engineer was rubbish.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 04:45:32 AM »

It occured to me that perhaps these young chaps were playing video games using alternative keyboards. I am imagining, now that they can play like this, that thier musical expression and interpretation will expand as their life experience unfolds.
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal