Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another passenger is bullied on an airline...  (Read 2526 times)

Martin P

• Respected Sage
Re: Yet another passenger is bullied on an airline...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 10:52:33 PM »

Which would be funny except he doesn't play an Irish tune. Dirty Old Town is an English tune about Salford.

Grape Ape

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 01:59:36 AM »

I found the whole video confusing.  It ends jovial enough, but there are moments I think the poor guy was genuinely terrified.  As for the tune, it would seem it has been embraced by Irish culture perhaps because of the more known than the original version performed by the Pogues?

911377brian

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 07:52:45 AM »

I couldn't understand what was going on here; were the cabin crew asking him to put the box away or were they asking for a tune?

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 11:16:58 AM »

I found the whole video confusing.  It ends jovial enough, but there are moments I think the poor guy was genuinely terrified.  As for the tune, it would seem it has been embraced by Irish culture perhaps because of the more known than the original version performed by the Pogues?

I think it's a funny.

Ewan McColl actually wrote it. He was Scottish, living in 't north of England, at the time. Career affected by him being a good socialst, who supported direct action (also wrote the Manchester Rambler). This kept him off the BBC. Went to one of his workshops in Sheffield when I was at shcool.  Father of Kirsty, who did have a connection to the Pogues (:) . They covered it a long time later.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 11:20:14 AM »

Ewan McColl wasn't Scottish, his parents were I believe, but he was born in Salford He was originally called Jimmy Miller, but he adopted a Scottish persona.

I too thought the choice of tune somewhat of an ill decision

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 11:43:38 AM »

Given he appears to be French, perhaps he can be excused being unaware of its provenance... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

AirTime

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 03:50:03 PM »

The threat of an onboard accordion player could be the simple answer to the airlines' problems with over-booking ...   :o
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

911377brian

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 04:22:55 PM »

Please put me out of my misery. What exactly were the cabin crew asking the poor guy to do?

stevejay

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 04:30:58 PM »

Smell a setup, it was staged.

Grape Ape

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 05:22:57 PM »

Please put me out of my misery. What exactly were the cabin crew asking the poor guy to do?

They tell him that since it is an Irish airline, and he has an accordion, that he must play it!

911377brian

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 05:39:18 PM »

Oh thanks, I was getting a bit paranoid...

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 06:23:31 AM »

...This kept him off the BBC...

Not entirely - 6 part seriess Ballads and Blues on the Home Service in 1953; 8 Radio Ballads
produced between 1958-64.

For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 10:55:06 AM »

Ewan McColl wasn't Scottish, his parents were I believe, but he was born in Salford He was originally called Jimmy Miller, but he adopted a Scottish persona.

I too thought the choice of tune somewhat of an ill decision

Sir John

I find the older I get, the more I think I know and the less I really know (:)
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 10:49:33 PM »

and  it amazing how many people think The Pogues are Irish. London born and bred, just adopted the Celtic persona just like Mr McColl.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 11:05:03 PM »

and  it amazing how many people think The Pogues are Irish. London born and bred, just adopted the Celtic persona just like Mr McColl.

Sort of a reasonable point. To be fair to McGowan, he did spend a chunk of his early years in Ireland and he did learn a lot of his music from a bunch of Irish relatives. Maybe he did overcook it a bit, though.

(I hope I haven't got this wrong, as well).
Greg Smith

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 11:06:27 AM »

London Irish tho?  Which is a bit different...years ago I went to a lunchtime session in a London Irish pub...we had boxes with ius and were asked to play a coupe of tunes...announced by the MC...."Here's a couple of lads from England who will oblige with some tunes...." :|glug
We got away with it.... :Ph
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal