Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lanterne magique  (Read 1687 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Lanterne magique
« on: May 10, 2017, 02:57:00 AM »

This appeared on my FB feed this afternoon, and I was there! Early Dédale performance to the side of the St Chartier chateau, more or less in front to the water tap. This tune held me spellbound,  and did more to turn me to "the dark side" of Melodeons than any other. (1993)

https://youtu.be/5F85qAbjca0
  _       _    _      _ 

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
Re: Lanterne magique
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 11:41:31 AM »

It was this Dedale that completely got me over as well. I didnt know at that time, i got a tape with a recording without a name on it. Only years later i found out who they were :-)
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 03:29:06 PM »

This particular session was insanely good! I loved them - not amplified
  _       _    _      _ 

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 11:10:26 PM »

I think that's my melodeon he's playing. Why doesn't it sound like this when I play it?

Edited to add: Of course, it's a GC no wonder it sounds slightly different. Mine is DG, which makes it rather slower and far less competent (:)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:28:48 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 03:09:50 PM »

This was in Pignol's castagnari days. A year or so later he moved to an FC Gaillard, to own layout, now very prevalent both in France and Flanders.  Which he mostly plays in D keys. Norbert has never been a predominantly up and down a row sort of bloke, but is quite happy to do that in the case strict "trad".
  _       _    _      _ 

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 03:11:45 PM »

It was this Dedale that completely got me over as well. I didnt know at that time, i got a tape with a recording without a name on it. Only years later i found out who they were :-)
W

The track is on Chroniques Urbanes, still available on Mustradem site at something ridiculous, like €10. I think it is the best CD they ever did.
  _       _    _      _ 

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 08:01:05 PM »

W

The track is on Chroniques Urbanes, still available on Mustradem site at something ridiculous, like €10. I think it is the best CD they ever did.
i got all of them by now ;-)
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 07:34:19 AM »

I found that the vid was best watched with the sound turned off. The bloke is obviously highly skilled, but I found the tune to be painful, in the extreme! Maybe it's because I am a Philistine after all?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 10:05:28 AM »

This was in Pignol's castagnari days. A year or so later he moved to an FC Gaillard, to own layout, now very prevalent both in France and Flanders.  Which he mostly plays in D keys. Norbert has never been a predominantly up and down a row sort of bloke, but is quite happy to do that in the case strict "trad".

He's not playing a Castignari there, though. It's a Salterelle Piroulet. I assumed it was GC but I haven't checked.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

penn

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 12:12:25 PM »

I found that the vid was best watched with the sound turned off. The bloke is obviously highly skilled, but I found the tune to be painful, in the extreme! Maybe it's because I am a Philistine after all?
There was a time when I might have agreed with you Edward. I bought "Chronique Urbaine" a while back after positive reviews on this site. I listened to it a bit, but it didn't do masses for me and it went back in the rack.

Until yesterday... When Chris posted the link, I thought "I know that tune from somewhere". So I've been listening to it a lot more over the last day or so, and frankly it's been blowing my mind ! Slinky tune, fabulous playing from all involved, particularly the Pignols.

I can't be certain, but I don't think there's a single key on that box that he didn't play during the solo.
Steve

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 05:09:50 PM »

Don't worry. Norbert is always happiest when his music is "near the edge" and would typically play eg a DG in B rather that E minor 1. for the challenge and 2. because if gives him access to more "out" notes. Although he's deeply rooted in trad (especially Morvan) tradition his mission is to expore the ways that might be extended towards (but not into) jazz.

So just regard this as an experimental waltz, and IME is is totally danceable as such. He's presently deeply into sampled sounds music, and computer modulation, which I don't particularly like. I've not heard him do this particular tune in … fifteen years. Here he is at a recent August week course, letting fly on Milleret's "les pieds de la dame aux clebs", a 3/8 bourrée. You can hear me and partner gasp at some of the fireworks in his lead break. Again it is danceable right right through (which is what we did)  ;)

https://chrisryall.net/tunes/fast-auvergat-pignol.mp3
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 05:12:45 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal