Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have these reeds been abused ?  (Read 3084 times)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Have these reeds been abused ?
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 09:52:39 AM »

For further context, how far is it (typically) necessary to tune new reeds? Or, to put it another way, how close to final pitch are they from new?
Obviously it will be different for each row, but just for ballpark.

It varies between makers too,  and the design of the reed blocks and the way the reeds are fitted and valved also makes a difference.  On the last course I worked on they ranged roughly between +/- 10 cents.  It's not unusual to find errors where a small number of reeds are off by a semitone, usually all the reeds in a set the same.  For example last time there were some chord reeds that were C# when they should have been C, or maybe it was the other way round.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 09:54:35 AM »

I think the state of tuning in a new box varies a lot from one manufacturer to another.

For those that care about getting it just right, there's also the complication that reeds seem to go though a settling in process in the first few months of playing, so there's a good case for "running in" a brand new box for a while and than getting it fine-tuned - it's much more likely to stay in tune after that.

Yes, and sometimes a third tuning is needed too.   This depends on how the instrument is played, as well as on the make and quality of the reeds.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 12:51:27 PM »

I have practiced this dark art and confirm it is easy to ruin reeds.But good fun and you do get better as time goes on, it is lazy and makes the old pitch hohner reed mods quicker. It easier to find the dremel than the misplaced file under the car.Its Ok say with a few reeds in an old hohner, if they dont work, then they are easily replaced but if I have a box to retune as most ebay hohners do then it is off to the tuner for me as it cheaper than a half dozen new reeds.The latinos seem to like this tool, in practiced hands it must be perfectly acceptable?.I would not let one near a better box unless I dont see it.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal