Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with ordering from Castagnari  (Read 3403 times)

lefthandsqueezer

Help with ordering from Castagnari
« on: May 11, 2017, 09:29:21 PM »

Hello All. I think I need to call on the collective wisdom of the forum. I am about to order a new box and as ever those lovely people at Castagnari have agreed to make me a left hander (have read elsewhere some folks saying Castagnari are difficult to deal with. I must say in my experience they have always been very helpful). I have the quotes for two instruments having not yet decided. One is the Lilly and the other is a Tommy, but where I need the advice is this. The quotes ask, Tonality: at your choice and Tuning: at your choice. Tuning is not a problem, that will be DG but tonality? How would I best explain, I don't want anything special just the most common choice used in English traditional music. If I was a normal right hander I would just walk into a dealer and buy a box off the shelf. So to boil it down I suppose I am asking what is the most common tuning for Castagnari's used in the English tradition.
Does that all make sense. I hope so. :-\
Hohner Pokerwork (Modified by me to be a Lefty.
Left handed Castagnari Handry, Mory and sander (Yes they will make you one.) Lovely people.

mselic

Re: Help with ordering from Castagnari
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 12:04:57 AM »

My guess is that "Tonality" actually refers to which key(s) the instrument is in, and "Tuning" refers to what degree of tremolo is desired.  "Tonality" would therefore be easy to describe, whereas "Tuning" is open to interpretation depending on which descriptors (dry, swing, americano, etc) you use as they mean different things to different people.  It is easier to give exact numbers in cents, Hertz, beats-per-second, but even that can be open to different interpretation. Best to let others here chime in on that front.  I could be wrong, but this is my understanding of the terms you've used.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 08:10:38 AM »

My guess is that "Tonality" actually refers to which key(s) the instrument is in, and "Tuning" refers to what degree of tremolo is desired.  "Tonality" would therefore be easy to describe, whereas "Tuning" is open to interpretation depending on which descriptors (dry, swing, americano, etc) you use as they mean different things to different people.  It is easier to give exact numbers in cents, Hertz, beats-per-second, but even that can be open to different interpretation. Best to let others here chime in on that front.  I could be wrong, but this is my understanding of the terms you've used.

That would be my understanding of the terms as well

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 08:58:58 AM »

That would be my understanding of the terms as well

On the one occasion that I obtained a box from an Italian manufacturer (Beltuna, not Castgnari) the term 'tonality' definitely referred the keys of the instrument.

Cheers
Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 08:59:38 AM »

Tonality is definitely the word that Castagnari use to describe the pitch of the instrument, DG in your case. You could also specify A=440.  For the Lilly that's all you need to say because it's a single reed box so there is no tremolo.
For the Tommy you also need to specify the tuning. Castagnari describe their standard factory tuning as "swing" that is what you will find on just about every new Castagnari on a dealers shelf.  As to what might be the most common with players of English trad it's probably the makers default - so Castagnari swing, Saltarelle a stronger swing, Hohner wet, all are popular choices. If you play for Morris a wetter tuning is more audible, otherwise it's what you prefer.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 09:14:37 AM »

As a small aside they may well refer to the D/G tonality as Re/Sol

lefthandsqueezer

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 09:50:55 AM »

Thanks for the help everyone. I think that about clears it up. I had done a little digging but just wanted to be sure before getting back to Casta. Best to get these things right and avoid an costly mistake.
Cheers. (:)
Left handed Castagnari Handry, Mory and sander (Yes they will make you one.) Lovely people.

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 12:50:28 PM »

Please be clear with Castagnari about your button layout, particularly the treble.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

lefthandsqueezer

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 01:25:31 PM »

Yes they made me a left handed Handry a few years back and I was careful to send a diagram of the layout. Regret selling that now. :(

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 03:20:06 PM »

My mori came with wrong notes, and my organetto was tuned wet as a ducks bum. Unplayable in english (morris) but totally à la mode in Calabria.

So take nothing for granted. A good dealer should sort all this out for you and will commonly give a better deal than for an off the shelf box. Hobgoblin refused to cut their margin, which was why I went direct. but I saved around 40%.

Be sure that you PAY before 2019. Brexit is likely to add 15% to imported EU kit under old "British" tarrifs. And the possibly more likely "world trade rules" duty … is worse. 🙄

The best way to order from these people is at the Ch.d'Ars festival, central France, around July 14. You might even choose a different maker …
  _       _    _      _ 

lefthandsqueezer

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 07:47:37 PM »

Well 5 or 6 years back when the Handry arrived it was fine, no complaints at all. As for the saving of dealing direct I noticed it was a lot cheaper. The Lilly for example having just looked online from Hob Gob is £1,339. Direct from maker £1,068 + £66 for a case. OK, not a massive saving but still a saving and of course you don't have the support you would get from a dealer. In my case though I,m impressed because there must be additional work for them to make lefties but in all three of my cases they have not charged any extra. These models are the Handry, Lilly and Benny. All those years ago my original enquiry was for a left handed Mory but for some reason they said it was not possible, often wondered why. Anybody?

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 10:19:23 PM »

You have not included carriage,and bank charges for money transfer
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 05:38:51 PM »

I picked mine up in Recanati, and paid cash (Lire in those days). The trip over there cost money too, of course, but was also a pleasant holiday.

I'd re-iterate that a good honest importer is insurance against strange foreign ways, and thta most charge less than Hobgoblin
  _       _    _      _ 

lefthandsqueezer

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 03:52:21 PM »

To be fair to the dealers I guess ordering direct is a lot more hassle and if I wasn't a Kack handed lefty then I wouldn't have these issues. Maybe I should ask Pete at Acorn to help me out. After all the dealers have an established relationship with the makers. You are also right, Hob Gob do seem to be pricey.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 05:09:40 PM »

It's that classic thing - if in the event of something going wrong with an order then the dealers sort it out at their expense, which would save you an awful lot of too-ing and fro-ing. They also know things about tuning/tonality etc as mentioned, as they have to sort this all the time for their stock. I'm sure Pete would help out.
The only time I'd go directly to Castagnari was if I happened to be holidaying in Italy and paid them a visit ( made a pilgrimage! ) and to be fair I'd like to have a look at the temple of delight!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Lyra

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 08:51:56 PM »

It does seem there are dealers, and then there are Melodeon Dealers - bit of a special breed in my experience, well worth the fourpence extra.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 08:59:51 PM »

To be fair to the dealers I guess ordering direct is a lot more hassle and if I wasn't a Kack handed lefty then I wouldn't have these issues. Maybe I should ask Pete at Acorn to help me out (1). After all the dealers have an established relationship with the makers. You are also right, Hob Gob do seem to be pricey (2).
(1) Yes - Pete (Acorn Instruments) or Rees (Wesson Accordions) are both trusted and respected Castagnari dealers in the UK. They're the chaps to do the business with. They will look after you.

(2) Always have been. (Sorry Pip but it's true.)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »

"Tis a stingy man who spends the most".
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 11:09:12 PM »

To be fair to the dealers I guess ordering direct is a lot more hassle and if I wasn't a Kack handed lefty then I wouldn't have these issues. Maybe I should ask Pete at Acorn to help me out (1). After all the dealers have an established relationship with the makers. You are also right, Hob Gob do seem to be pricey (2).
(1) Yes - Pete (Acorn Instruments) or Rees (Wesson Accordions) are both trusted and respected Castagnari dealers in the UK. They're the chaps to do the business with. They will look after you.

(2) Always have been. (Sorry Pip but it's true.)

(2)............... I don't set the prices............... I just drive the van for them, honest Guv'  :-[
Faversham, Kent
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal