Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Weavers' March  (Read 1815 times)

Ellison

• Respected Sage
    • A few tunes here:
The Weavers' March
« on: May 12, 2017, 09:02:25 PM »

Halloo

My better and slimmer half sneakily recorded this as I waited for the barbecue to catch up to my beers, it's only a snippet but I love the tune. I first heard the tune when a was a callow youth but have only just learnt it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynlMjzeK5C0

Martin

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
Re: The Weavers' March
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 07:25:07 PM »

You've had the weather for barbecues already ? Think I heard someone at a festival once say the tune was played as folks walked into St Peters Fields , Manchester in 1819 prior to the "Peterloo" massacre. Nice tune .
Paul   
Paul
Location NE Fife

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 10:02:11 PM »

Love the way this sounds, Martin . What's the box?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Ellison

• Respected Sage
    • A few tunes here:
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 09:52:41 AM »

Love the way this sounds, Martin . What's the box?

Thanks Greg. It's a Saltarelle Le Bouebe, DG, getting on for 30 years old I think.

Ellison

• Respected Sage
    • A few tunes here:
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 09:55:49 AM »

You've had the weather for barbecues already ? Think I heard someone at a festival once say the tune was played as folks walked into St Peters Fields , Manchester in 1819 prior to the "Peterloo" massacre. Nice tune .
Paul   

Seven Stars has its own micro climate, it's the Leyland Riviera. Interesting about the Peterloo connection.

Peter Ellison

• The Untouchables
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 03:27:28 PM »

I love that tune and your playing reminds me of the Tony Hall version (no higher praise exists imo). I tried learning it from the Tony Hall CD and found it really tricky. You make it sound effortless! Pete (no relation - as far as I know)
Hohner Pokerwork G/D, Dino Baffetti Binci G/D

robotmay

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 11:19:07 PM »

I do love a good march, that one's going in at the top of my to-learn list; lovely playing Martin (:)

aegelstane

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 02:18:35 AM »

Seem to remember that it was coupled with The Collier's Daughter [not the dance tune version of the latter to be found on utube] on a very early Topic record The tunes were played by the Celebrated Working Man's Band [!] which included Alf Edwards english concertina.

Ellison

• Respected Sage
    • A few tunes here:
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 07:33:02 AM »

Seem to remember that it was coupled with The Collier's Daughter [not the dance tune version of the latter to be found on utube] on a very early Topic record The tunes were played by the Celebrated Working Man's Band [!] which included Alf Edwards english concertina.

That's it! At the time of posting I couldn't remember when I'd first heard it. The recording was included on five hours of illicit cassette which had been secretly recorded in the Vaughan Williams library in the early 1970s. I won't name the miscreant in case the EFDSS still have a contract out on him. The tapes were stuffed full of field recordings of English music most of which later found their way on to Topic LPs and the like. A veritable treasure trove.

Martin
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 07:45:40 AM by Ellison »

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 12:04:40 PM »

Don't know if it's the same, but there's a lovely version featuring Alf Edwards and Colin Ross from. I think. The Iron Muse

IIRC Tony Hall credits The Leeds Band as his source on Fieldvole Music.

I wish I had as good a memory for useful stuff, like where I've put any of my pairs of spectacles... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal