Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Goldklang, anyone?  (Read 2177 times)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Goldklang, anyone?
« on: May 18, 2017, 11:23:57 AM »

This looks very similar to a no-name which I bought a month or so ago. So, when it was at £2.45 I stuck it on my Watch List, just for interests sake.
I'm currently astonished at the amount its up to! Is this some really good make which I've never previously come across, or is it (as I suspected) likely to have long reedplates and shoddy workmanship like the one I got for my usual miserly bid?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

triskel

Re: Goldklang, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 11:53:07 AM »

Goldklang is a (merchant's?) brand name that you'll find on all sorts of pre-war musical instruments made in Saxony, not just accordions.

But I presume you must mean this green 2-row Very Rare Stahlstimmen Goldklang Small Button Accordion in Original Case? (A link is always a great help!  ;))

It's what the old German catalogues describe as a "Sport-modell", so similar to a Liliput - but just a pretty example, with a stencilled name on it, from one of the Klingenthal factories...

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 04:21:32 PM »

Well, I'll be b******d! I forgot to add the link, sorry.

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 01:22:55 AM »

That punched and pressed grill looks rather swish compared with the plain punched jobs Hohners used, although it hasn't rigidised it enough to resist the dinge - what do they sound like Triskel ?

Sorry the decimal point shifted too far for you Edward, just as well with Tyneside being so close to reaching MCM (Melodeon Critical Mass)

Richard
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

triskel

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 11:19:09 PM »

... what do they sound like Triskel ?

That would depend on the quality of the "Stahlstimmen" (Steel Reeds) in this one Richard, which I can't answer for, but you'd probably be better-off with a Hohner...

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 11:25:17 PM »

"you'd probably be better-off with a Hohner..."

Without doubt! But it all depends how fat your wallet is, some of us have to make do with second best. (Or in this case, maybe 3rd or 4th best, lol.)

triskel

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 11:44:00 PM »

"you'd probably be better-off with a Hohner..."

Without doubt! But it all depends how fat your wallet is, some of us have to make do with second best. (Or in this case, maybe 3rd or 4th best, lol.)

But I've often seen decent Hohners sell for significantly LESS than this Goldklang...

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 06:53:09 AM »

Yes, I have one or two of those in my small collection, along with several of their cheaper counterparts.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 10:24:16 AM »

I understand MAD but seeing that you obviously have some decent instruments what is it that drives you to get inferior ones? Is it the love if the search? The bidding experience? Just wanting lots around? Learning to restore? The hope of finding something special?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 11:03:01 AM »

...I'm currently astonished at the amount its up to!...

Is it me, or am I the only one who doesn't think £115 is an excessive amount for a melodeon which appears to be in playable condition?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 11:15:02 AM »

Bit intrigued why this one went for so much when you can get a Liliput for that money (well, from Germany anyway). The non-Hohner sports models do indeed seem rare, but that might simply mean that most of them have been binned by now.
I have a similar one (well, a jigsaw puzzle box of bits that used to be a similar one) looks like a Liliput but nowhere near as well made.
Curiosity value maybe.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

invadm

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 11:44:40 AM »

I think is it made by galotta and I had one 21+4 liliyput size.I was a nice box and well made,full size button and proper lever arm ext.whoever got it will be a hapy MAD man
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:54:02 AM by invadm »

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 01:32:29 AM »

"what is it that drives you to get inferior ones?"

An inferior income! I had no intention of bidding for this one, as I said, it looks like a cheap thing I bought a month or so ago (and for a fraction of the cost of  this!). I fancy a small thing for carrying back and forwards to Egypt without getting into trouble for taking up too much space in our luggage and I could never afford, or justify, the expense of a baby Hohner or one of Acorn Pete's lovely tiny things. But I do enjoy the challenge of trying to make these junk ones work, or even just messing about with them, I have a lot of rubbish in my little cubby hole which will probably never come to anything, but I live in hope.

"am I the only one who doesn't think £115 is an excessive amount"

Probably not, Greg. But if you're used to buying much better for a fair bit less, then £115 for something like this just seems far too expensive. In saying that, the one I did buy is definitely hand-made; you can plainly see the hand whittling on the reedblocks. But the wood looks very rough and of poor quality to me, along with cheap looking mechanisms and long plate reeds.

"I think is it made by galotta"

I may have actually bid on the one in your picture, but, if I'm not mistaken, that one fetched canny money too. Too much for me, I think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal