Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harmonicas got expensive!!  (Read 5006 times)

stevejay

Harmonicas got expensive!!
« on: May 23, 2017, 11:43:12 PM »

I used to get them for @ 10 US dollars. Now over 40 for a simple diatonic!

Too much for a replaceable instrument.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
Re: Harmonicas got expensive!!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 12:29:27 AM »

How often do you find you need to replace them? I'm running one cheap chinese tremolo which I picked up about fifty years ago which is still in tune and plays loudly and well.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

stevejay

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 02:50:18 AM »

How often do you find you need to replace them? I'm running one cheap chinese tremolo which I picked up about fifty years ago which is still in tune and plays loudly and well.

Blues tortures the reeds with the deep bends.

hallelujahal

• 'Blood & Fire'
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 06:37:49 AM »

Yes agree blues kills the 10 holers. I play tremolos and chromatic sand they last forever, still playing a Hohner 270 Chromonica with wooden comb that is easily 50 years old.
However there are cheaper 10 hole harps around. My local music shop have a very good brand that they sell for £7.99, and to be honest it's a much better instrument than the Hohner marine band as it has a plastic comb material, unlike the MB which although synonymous with the blues is also associated in my mind with bleeding lips from when the comb cracks, swells and warps.

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 06:51:42 AM »

Replacement reed plates (at about 60% of the cost of a new harp) are available for most Hohner, Lee Oskar, Suzuki and Seydel models. And there's loads of info on the Internet about how to replace a single dead reed (though too fiddly for my limited skills). BTW, even a 10 hole diatonic isn't that simple. To play well, the reed plate blanks have to be accurately pressed (otherwise the harp is leaky) and every reed has to be hand-tuned and gapped. It's certainly true that prices have risen in recent years, but IMHO so has quality.
Cheers
Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

BJG

• Regular debater
    • Magicfolk
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 08:44:05 AM »

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:46:13 AM by BJG »

george garside

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 09:47:32 AM »

my hohner celestes and 21's  have never given any trouble  in something like 20 years and were reasonably priced when I bought them but havn't a clue what they cost now

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 10:02:10 AM »

Just one question.

How long is it since today's $40 harp cost $10?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

stevejay

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 10:59:01 AM »

I'm in my 50's now. I used to play blues harmonica in a rock band and at events in college.
I listened to lots of players, especially Paul Butterfield. Maybe it wasn't exactly $10, but they were under $20.

Played chromatic for a while, had problems with the valves, always tweaking and adjusting them. I think my time with the chromatic would be a good background for a semi tone system, I've never played one.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 11:39:58 AM »

So 30+ years ago? 

If my children could buy a house now for as little as 4 times as much as I paid in the 1980s they would be very very very happy.

Same goes for most other prices.

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Harmonicatunes

• Respected Sage
    • Harmonicatunes
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 04:01:39 AM »

You can still buy a $10 harmonica. The performance matches the price.

Harmonica quality, consistency and choice has improved dramatically since the "$10" days. In particular the major companies, Hohner, Seydel and Suzuki have premium models, with a price tags and performance to match. I'd encourage any player serious about their music to invest in these more expensive models.

Also, companies such as Seydel provide different harmonica tunings, again not available in the $10 days. For example, the Major Cross model, introduced this year and based on a tuning I developed 20 years ago. You can see it in action here: https://youtu.be/kiv_ehfot1Y
Harmonica Player
Just starting with the Box

stevejay

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 12:08:07 PM »

You can still buy a $10 harmonica. The performance matches the price.

Harmonica quality, consistency and choice has improved dramatically since the "$10" days. In particular the major companies, Hohner, Seydel and Suzuki have premium models, with a price tags and performance to match. I'd encourage any player serious about their music to invest in these more expensive models.

Also, companies such as Seydel provide different harmonica tunings, again not available in the $10 days. For example, the Major Cross model, introduced this year and based on a tuning I developed 20 years ago. You can see it in action here: https://youtu.be/kiv_ehfot1Y

Sounds GREAT! The sound really has an edge to it, tone is very clear. You must have a lot of fun at bluegrass concerts if you go.

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 05:09:39 PM »

I stock Suzuki harmonicas and they have a whole bunch in the $18-40 range. They generally seem to be tuned better than Hohners.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 01:37:43 AM »

@George: My "D" Celeste cost just under £30 last September and it came in a pretty box!

Chris B.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Harmonicatunes

• Respected Sage
    • Harmonicatunes
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 10:54:31 AM »

I have considerable experience with the high end Hohner and Suzuki harmonicas. I've not encountered tuning issues with Hohners.
Harmonica Player
Just starting with the Box

stevejay

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 01:48:51 PM »

My favorites were Lee Oskars, but they are a bit pricey for me now.
I found they lasted a long time, but didn't sound quite as warm as some others.

Always wanted to try a harmonic minor and a minor one. The melody maker was great for bluegrass.

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 10:21:17 PM »

Steve, I had an A harmonic minor Lee Oskar which I considered a nearly religious experience; now, harmonic minor in all keys Streb.  Lee Oskars are awfully nice tho and still reasonable on amazon.....
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

hallelujahal

• 'Blood & Fire'
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 04:43:16 AM »

My preferred 10 hole suck harp these days is the Suzuki Pro MR350https://www.harmonicas-direct.com/harmonicas/diatonic/suzuki-pro-master-mr350-and-mr350-valved which can come either valved or non valved. They are not cheap, but you gets what you pay for, which in this case is immaculate engineering, superb tuning, longevity and fantastic tone. 😜

Tremolo wise I play Tombo harps...they're the best, and yes I pay a premium for them but again it's worth it imho?
AL

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 07:59:55 AM »

I'm saving up £650 for one of these...

http://www.lekholminstruments.com/

...which is pretty cheap, compared to the £1500 you'd pay for its predecessor.

I have just sat and watched/ listened all the videos and all I can really say is "interesting"
The first video sounded like a Rolf Harris Stylophone and the rest were average midi instruments drowning in reverb..

One of the main techniques in harmonica playing is to cup your hands around the front of the instrument the open and close them (vamping) when you play to vary the sound. With this digital instrument - you can't do that. The appearance is more like watching Brendan Power eating a sandwich..

However, if you have purchased one of these, I don't suppose you want it to sound like a harmonica anyway otherwise you'd buy a harmonica. You wouldn't really need to apply vamping to a piano or banjo sounds...

I'll save my money...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millioniser-M2000-with-Midi-ultra-rare-wind-controlled-synthesizer-/162512313285?hash=item25d67d1bc5:g:BCcAAOSw42JZDFbI
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:05:41 AM by Alan Morley »
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal