Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bellows corner size  (Read 1825 times)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
Bellows corner size
« on: May 19, 2017, 05:45:24 PM »

Anyone got a tip for establishing the radius of bellows corners I.e. to buy a right sized replacement.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Bellows corner size
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 06:10:54 PM »

Anyone got a tip for establishing the radius of bellows corners I.e. to buy a right sized replacement.
Rub a soft pencil (2B or similar) over one face of one of the existing in-situ bellows corners, then position a piece of plain paper in between the bellows fold. Squeeze a couple of the bellows folds shut onto the piece of paper. Open the bellows again and remove the piece of paper. Enough graphite from the pencil should transfer itself to the paper to enable you to measure/estimate the radius.   
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Rog

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 08:36:40 PM »

Now that...is an ingenious answer. Thanks! I've tried estimating with a little steel rule but it ain't very accurate.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 11:54:45 AM »

Roger,

If you go to the Italian bellows manufacturers' websites you'll find the order forns have a sheet of templates for the bellows corners.  Print that off and you can offer them up to the box.  From memory there are differing radii and angles available/

Rob.

Rog

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 03:12:55 PM »

Thanks Rob. My issue with that is my printer may print them a different size to your printer or, for that matter, the manufacturer's printer.

tirpous

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 05:34:30 PM »

On the Carini web site the corners are shown with a metric grid background, so printing may not be necessary:

http://www.carinidena.it/MS5ECOMMERCE60/jsp/eco_cc_home_bs_portlet.jsp?p=searcharti&w_ricgruppo=%2705FISA%27&w_ricsgruppo=%2750MA%27&w_riccateg=%275035PI%27

By the way, I like Steve's idea of paper in the fold, but why not trace the shape of the corner directly on paper with a sharp pencil (aimed to minimize offset) ?? 

911377brian

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 06:03:56 PM »

Or send one off to Charlie Marshall..

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 06:14:44 PM »

Get one of each size from Charlie and use them to compare.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Rog

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 05:39:39 AM »

Or send one off to Charlie Marshall..
(:) ..then I'd have to remove one..and I'd have to reattach 3 instead of 2 (;)

Samples as per Theo may be the way to go. Also thought that drawing radii with a compass and then holding up to a corner would get me around the 'has my printer produced this template to the correct scale' problem. Or try the pencil lead thing. But samples may be quickest.

Rog

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 05:46:03 AM »

On the Carini web site the corners are shown with a metric grid background, so printing may not be necessary:

http://www.carinidena.it/MS5ECOMMERCE60/jsp/eco_cc_home_bs_portlet.jsp?p=searcharti&w_ricgruppo=%2705FISA%27&w_ricsgruppo=%2750MA%27&w_riccateg=%275035PI%27

By the way, I like Steve's idea of paper in the fold, but why not trace the shape of the corner directly on paper with a sharp pencil (aimed to minimize offset) ??
Hi Tirpous...yes I've tried tracing, but it's very hard to get an accurate line. The thickness of the end of the pencil makes the curve too big. As I write this I've just thought that making an impression on a lump of Bluetack might work. I could then measure the impression.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 10:31:34 AM »

If you can remove the Blutack without stretching it.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 10:39:36 AM »

I buy my Bellows from Igor Solinc  in Slovenia, when I send him the endframes I include a corner from the Bug****d bellows and he replicates it ! ...Simples !!   :||: :||:.......Course that doesn't help if your only replacing corners !! Ive never had much success at that, they never seem to fit as well as the originals. :-\
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:41:53 AM by Henry Piper »
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 11:37:28 AM »

Use a circle stencil to gauge. You would have to measure the actual diameter of the appropriate cutout as the nominal dimension will allow for the diameter of the pen (although that can be calculated from the specified pen). I've done this with a different, but similar, problem and it worked a treat.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal