Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Origin of the "Uttoxeter Swing"  (Read 2112 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Origin of the "Uttoxeter Swing"
« on: May 20, 2017, 12:11:09 PM »

I am curious about the origins of the "Uttoxeter Swng". The tune and dance are generally credited to a long defunct side, Bessels Leigh.  The tune, presumably is the traditional tune for the dance. It was, apparently rediscovered by a certain Dr Anthony Barrand.  US morris dancer and author of "Six Fools and a Dancer". These days, the tune is fairly widely used, for various Border Morris dances. Can anyone shed any light on the reality of any of this? Some dots below.

X:1
T:Uttoxeter Swing
M:2/2
L:1/8
K:Em
P:A
"Em"E2 EF G2 GB|"D"A2 AG FE D2|"Em"E2 EF G2 GB|"D"AG FG A4|
"Em"E2 EF G2 GB|"D"A2 AG FE D2|"Em"EB2E "Cmaj7"B2 AG|"D"F2 FG "Em"E4:|
P:B
|:"G"B2 BA BA G2|"D"zA AG AG F2|"Em"G2 GF GF E2|"D"FF2G A4|
"G"B2 BA BA G2|"D"zA AG AG F2|"Em"EB2E "Cmaj7"B2 AG|"D"F2 FG "Em"E4:|
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
Re: Origin of the "Uttoxeter Swing"
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 05:10:45 AM »

2 years later ...

I'm interested in hearing the "original collected" version of Uttoxeter Swing (if it was ever recorded).

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 07:23:58 AM »

Nope, I tried to find out some years ago - the tune came to me via the Border morris and I introduced in into the repertoire of the steady-speed session I run.  I added it to the tunebook simply because we have a smattering of borderists among our regulars and it is thus a really good tune for them to become familiar with.

I tried again a few months ago and the only new information I could find was a reference from my friend Lester referencing my failure to find anything out about the tune.  I've heard Cotswold teams using it (Fool's Gambit?) but all I really know is that is popular in these here parts (South London/Surrey) among border teams having escaped from the Wild Hunt's repertoire  - they don't know from whence they got it either. I checked.

There is very little about this tune out there on t'interweb at all - not even 'The Session' claiming it is a traditional Irish polka or somesuch >:E (:)

I know this is an old thread but now revived by Smiley perhaps someone out there can shed some light this time around?
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 09:16:18 AM »

... I've heard Cotswold teams using it (Fool's Gambit?) but all I really know is that is popular in these here parts (South London/Surrey) among border teams having escaped from the Wild Hunt's repertoire  - they don't know from whence they got it either. I checked.

The Bessels Leigh connection led nowhere. I got in touch with the US side that revived the old border dance [Berkley Morris] and Randell Cayford replied
"We started doing the dance in 2010. I found a recording I got off the internet dated December 2009. It’s the same recording that is on Hunters Moon’s myspace page. So I’m pretty sure they were my source for the tune. How I ended up on that page, I have no idea. Have you contacted them and gotten any response?"

The recently demised Hunter's Moon related Uttoxeter Swing to something called Poppleford-I don't know if that's a tune or a dance-and no one in their side remembered where it came from.
It's a good tune to dance to, though  ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:19:13 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 09:43:45 AM »

The recently demised Hunter's Moon related Uttoxeter Swing to something called Poppleford-I don't know if that's a tune or a dance-and no one in their side remembered where it came from.
It's a good tune to dance to, though  ;D

Aha - a connection at least. The musician I got the tune from came from was connected with Hunter's Moon as well as Wild Hunt - from there the tune escaped to Box Hill Bedlam and thence to Black Swan Border and quite possibly down to the Isle of Wight.  I don't know of a 'Poppleford' dance but there was a 'Poppleton' dance I recall* - a different thing or a mis-remembering of the name who knows?

* I haven't danced border these last five years or so so being a happy hanky flapper/sword wrangler I am a bit out of the borderist loop.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 11:04:50 AM »

... I don't know of a 'Poppleford' dance but there was a 'Poppleton' dance I recall* - a different thing or a mis-remembering of the name who knows?

My bad. I mis-remembered the name. I have no first hand knowledge of it.
Greg Smith

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 11:45:54 AM »

If you put Poppleton Morris into search, you come up with three links, one of which is Sallyport, dancing Poppleton, to the tune of Keel Row.
Probably no help, but..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGIV1RC_VPk

SJ

This also mentions Poppleton as a sort of afterthought, right at the end, but the page itself is interesting, and well laid out.

https://phoenixmorrisdancers.com/page/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 11:51:11 AM by John MacKenzie (Cugiok) »
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 12:46:30 PM »

If you put Poppleton Morris into search....

Try Poppleton (or Peopleton) Stick Dance, that's how I remember it*. Can't look myself just now. 

No guarantee it's the same dance or indeed that there's any connection.

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 01:00:10 PM »

Here's the dance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcTtNxNRJ7k

.....but it doesn't help with the origin of that tune :(
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal