Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: what keys does a D/G melodeon play in?  (Read 6483 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: what keys does a D/G melodeon play in?
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 04:20:45 PM »

Strangely one of the worst (purely in my opinion) is the Saltarelle Boube - made by Baffetti, I have one and it's a dog.  I'm sure a fettler could make vast improvements to it, but it should never have left the factory as it is.
A friend has a D/G Bouebe and it's lovely. It's an old one though. I think these two experiences show up the inconsistencies so often mentioned about Saltarelle instruments. Sometimes they are good, but other examples of the same instrument are distinctly mediocre. Try before you buy! 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 05:26:01 PM »

Rob and Steve's advice is ever true.
There are several very good fettlers on this site. Getting a box from them means it's generally got an m.o.t and service before leaving the garage so it'll be as good as it could be.
Beware the cheapies on flea bay..... Rarely a bargain.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Mike Mccarthy

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »

it looks like I am getting a 2nd hand box from Martyn White (of, I believe, this parish), which has been tuned. It's cheap, so not expecting great things from it, but so long as it plays and plays in tune, I am sure it will serve.
Unbranded East German box in GD, sounds pretty good to my untutored ears.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 06:31:38 PM »

Oh great. Yes, Martyn is one of the fettlers from this parish. I'm sure it'll be a good servant.
Good luck with that.
Once you've got it you can start asking questions like we all did at the beginning. Don't forget to ask away....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 03:32:54 PM »

Oh great. Yes, Martyn is one of the fettlers from this parish. I'm sure it'll be a good servant.
Good luck with that.
Once you've got it you can start asking questions like we all did at the beginning. Don't forget to ask away....
Q

I'll second that.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal