Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Witney Super-Squeeze  (Read 4490 times)

brackenrigg

• Geoff Wright
    • Bracken Rigg Scottish Ceilidh band
Witney Super-Squeeze
« on: May 22, 2017, 05:21:13 PM »

How would people react to joining Witney Concertinas, Accordions and Melodeons all into one weekend?
Good idea or 7th circle of hell with too many different instruments going all at once?
Bracken Rigg Band
brackenrigg@gmail.com
www.brackenrigg.co.uk

Rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
Re: Witney Super-Squeeze
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:54:35 PM »

Indeed, way too many numbers when added together.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 07:56:52 PM »

While you're at it, why not include Strings/Fiddles at Witney too!

Because if he fiddles too much with the format he'll get strung up?
Dino BPII. My wife seems to have claimed the Liliput.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Helena

• Did I mention the Oakwood?
  • Nine-box Nelly
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 10:24:12 PM »

While you're at it, why not include Strings/Fiddles at Witney too!

Because if he fiddles too much with the format he'll get strung up?

As will you if you make puns like that Bebb.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man SessionsForty Foot Sword | Taylor's Men | Nellodeon on Soundcloud| Melodeon Playgroup |

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Melodeons at Witney 2017
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 03:30:00 PM »

Seems the M@W is no longer to be a thing, we are being lumped together with the lesser forms of free reed instruments  :-\

From Dave Townsend

WITNEY SUPERSQUEEZE

A Weekend Music Course for
Concertinas, Melodeons and Accordions

When & Where?
This new event will take place at Henry Box School, Witney, nr. Oxford, on 10th - 12th November 2017.

What’s New?
It’s a larger-scale weekend replacing Concertinas at Witney, Melodeons at Witney and Accordions at Witney. Some course units will be for specific instruments, some will be for any squeezebox, and there will be band and ensemble options as well.

What’s Old?
Like the former Hands On Music Weekends, it will  follow the same structure of course units, working with different tutors, and a concert with them on Saturday night. Music will be available a few weeks beforehand. And as always there will be top-rated tutors, some familiar faces and some less-known, all with an established track record in teaching and inspiring.

The weekend is non-residential, and is for adults who can already play their instrument.
Melodeon Repairs - Website - Facebook
Lester's Tune-a-Day Blog
Hohner Melodeons
Made in Germany
Improved in Wendover

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 03:36:11 PM »

[[ADMIN]]

Topics merged to avoid duplication and cross discussion.
Theo Gibb

Day job: The Box Place. Follow me on Twitter and please like my Facebook page
Night job: Sunniside Up! Ceilidh Band

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 04:10:57 PM »

Oh well, at least that's free'd up the weekend to do something else and saved the cost of a B&B in Witney :(

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.greatnortherndesign.com
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 05:45:53 PM »

Oh ****, well it was fun while it lasted :(

A larger scale event might make things more financially viable for DT, and one event is definitely easier to organise than three. 

It will be interesting to see how many workshops are offered to keep the three separate free-reed communities happy. But it must diminish the choice for the melodeon community, particularly for 'technical/skills' workshops at all levels.

I wasn't planning on attending this year, but it will be interesting to compare the level of attendance to the melodeon only event.

Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Helena

• Did I mention the Oakwood?
  • Nine-box Nelly
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 05:51:23 PM »

Hmm.... Massively mixed feelings about this one but will give it a chance and see what is on offer before deciding. I certainly won't be playing the 'pay first and see what the workshops are later'  game though.

The Witney hotel room comes with free cancellation so at this stage there is nothing to lose I guess.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man SessionsForty Foot Sword | Taylor's Men | Nellodeon on Soundcloud| Melodeon Playgroup |

Julian S

• Respected Sage
  • D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Giordy, Binci etc
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 05:56:33 PM »

Disappointed, but I can think of ways of spending the money I will save if I don't go.. ::).six melodeons is not quite enough in my mind, given that one of them( a Gremlin branded 'cajun' one row in c )deserves a new home...

Steve_freereeder

• Grumpy old git (sometimes)
  • Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 06:10:19 PM »

Having been a tutor three successive years running, I won't be this year, and indeed was not expecting to be asked again this time. In other years recently when I've not been a tutor, I've mostly gone along anyway 'just for the ride' and to help out as needed, as I've always found melodeons at Witney immensely enjoyable.

But this year I was debating whether to go at all, as I have a gig in Sheffield on the Friday evening. I think the news of the combined instruments super-squeeze has pretty much decided it for me, and so I will not be there. I'm sure everyone who attends will have a good time, and I will be interested to learn how it all goes. But as I have been going to M@W every year since 1999 anyway, I think it's now time for a change.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 06:46:38 PM »

So did  Geoff W. have a crystal ball or is this just bizarre timing? I remain rather puzzled.
Anyway, I may give it a go as I was thinking of coming in the van. It is hard when landmark events change, makes me feel insecure. But it is a commercial  thing in the end. Maybe that's why.
Mike

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 01:19:25 PM »

Disappointed by this. I'm not interested in band or ensemble options, having gained little from similar workshops elsewhere. I also expect that workshops for 'any squeezebox' will be less beneficial than those that are melodeon specific, for obvious reasons. I'll wait to see what the programme looks like before deciding, but it seems likely that I won't bother attending any more. This is a shame because I've attended and enjoyed almost every Melodeons at Witney since the late 1990s. C'est la vie!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, Acadian one-row in D; Junior Martin one-row in C.

Sue

• Good talker
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 03:46:56 PM »

Where is the info on this; I can't see anything on the Hands on Music website?
Sue
Hohner Preciosa D/G,  Model 1 Oakwood D/G,
G/D anglo concertina
CRY HAVOC MORRIS

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 04:06:04 PM »

Sue

The bit in italics in my post above came from an email DT sent to the m@w mailing list (and a@w and c@w I guess)
Melodeon Repairs - Website - Facebook
Lester's Tune-a-Day Blog
Hohner Melodeons
Made in Germany
Improved in Wendover

Steve_freereeder

• Grumpy old git (sometimes)
  • Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 04:30:21 PM »

Sue
The Hands on Music website is very out of date and it may eventually be replaced.
I've just received the same e-mail that Lester mentioned:

From Dave Townsend

WITNEY SUPERSQUEEZE

A Weekend Music Course for
Concertinas, Melodeons and Accordions

When & Where?
This new event will take place at Henry Box School, Witney, nr. Oxford, on 10th - 12th November 2017.

What’s New?
It’s a larger-scale weekend replacing Concertinas at Witney, Melodeons at Witney and Accordions at Witney. Some course units will be for specific instruments, some will be for any squeezebox, and there will be band and ensemble options as well.

What’s Old?
Like the former Hands On Music Weekends, it will  follow the same structure of course units, working with different tutors, and a concert with them on Saturday night. Music will be available a few weeks beforehand. And as always there will be top-rated tutors, some familiar faces and some less-known, all with an established track record in teaching and inspiring.

The weekend is non-residential, and is for adults who can already play their instrument.

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Sue

• Good talker
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 07:09:09 PM »

Thanks, I haven't had an email yet, I should be on both lists.  Hope it's not my email system playing up again.
Sue
Hohner Preciosa D/G,  Model 1 Oakwood D/G,
G/D anglo concertina
CRY HAVOC MORRIS

playandteach

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 09:30:52 PM »

I really enjoyed the last one (my only melodeon event to date) and that was partly the tutors, partly the workshops, and mainly being lucky in good company.
I can't see that I'd make the long drive again for an unknown - especially as I really need gentle support as the novice ensemble player I am (not having a repertoire of session tunes - and really don't fancy a large gathering of mixed instruments.
I wish them well, but shan't be investing in it (time, distance and cost - which was very reasonable really) until I have more feedback.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Castagnari Sander DG

heartshaped1

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 06:17:24 PM »

Oh no!  This is very bad news for me.  As someone who only plays in one morris team, is not from a folk background and therefore doesn't know anyone as such, and doesn't have the courage yet to go to a session, Witney was the highlight of my melodeon year.  I've only been three times and the first time I had a tiny cry on the way home having learnt so much and met so many lovely people.  As someone who finds it hard to speak to people I don't know, the brilliant thing about Witney was that you knew that everyone in the room had at least one thing in common with you - we all play melodeon, so at least there was common ground.

I, like P&T definitely wish them well but like others I am not sure yet if it's for me, I would need to see a programme I think, but my initial thoughts are that I probably won't go.  Very sad about this, I guess I'll have to see if I can make the big trek to Mendlesham instead!
Vicky.
D/G Castagnari Hascy, G/C Castagnari Lilium, C/F Hohner Club II, D/G Hohner Pokerwork

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 06:31:01 PM »

I think the company aspect won't change. The concertina crowd were pretty friendly when I went, might need to keep an eye on the PA players to stop them getting too legato at sessions  >:E.
I was thinking of going this year but it's wait and see now.
Dino BPII. My wife seems to have claimed the Liliput.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.